Browns to trade for QB Deshaun Watson; Agree to new contract (5yr 230M Fully GTD)

AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

I’m a salary cap idiot but what you guys are saying is that the realistic % of cap allocated to QB that hampers teams elsewhere will be high years 4-5 but not 1, right?

@Matts4313 had a good credit card analogy before.

You have to make this year fit but the cap is not really a 1 year thing, its a 5 year thing. You can push things forward for multiple reasons.

• The cap goes up so the hit gets softer.
  • The base salary can be converted to bonus and extended.
  • You can always extend to 5 years or less + voidable to 5
  • You can always ask some players to take a pay cut or replace them with draft picks.

There is more, but that covers most of it.

• Like 1

Watson has been on the Texans 5 seasons

Three of them they won exactly 4 games. 

And before everyone goes 'well two of those years he didn't play and one of those years the team sucked' 

• Being injured is bad
  • Quitting on your team is extremely bad, and not being able to play for another team because nobody will trade for you because they think you are going to jail is also extremely bad
  • The Browns are extremely bad and will undoubtably have terrible support around him before long

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

@Matts4313 had a good credit card analogy before.

You have to make this year fit but the cap is not really a 1 year thing, its a 5 year thing. You can push things forward for multiple reasons.

• The cap goes up so the hit gets softer.
  • The base salary can be converted to bonus and extended.
  • You can always extend to 5 years or less + voidable to 5
  • You can always ask some players to take a pay cut or replace them with draft picks.

There is more, but that covers most of it.

So basically what you're saying is it isn't real lol?

Edited by Soggust

4 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I’ve seen multiple calls for boycotts.

Vick was heavily boycotted and protested in his first year back.

I fully support it. This is America, not Russia. (a shot at the leadership, not the innocent citizens)

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I know we’re keeping this to football but that is a ludicrous contract to hand a guy fresh off 22 allegations of sexual misconduct. 

We get it Browns, you’re desperate. 

We live in a society. 

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

It is but it's very flexible. Ultimately it will catch up to you eventually

I'm only asking because if I'm the Browns and the salary cap is real, then I want to eat as much guaranteed this year as possible, right?

I understand they probably didn't anticipate this, so they gotta do what they gotta do, but I think Browns are a SB caliber team in 2023+ yet would be amazed if they were a threat this year. So I was curious how a big contract would restrict them down the road.

2 minutes ago, Soggust said:

So basically what you're saying is it isn't real lol?

The Saints have been doing some crazy stuff.

They set it to a new level by trading for a pair of Texans but having the Texans restructure first so they ate the dead cap and NO got the cheap 1 year deal. The Saints bought about 10 million of cap space from Houston last year.

They also still had to destroy their depth with guys like Cook, Sanders, and Murray. They had to play some truly bad players instead.

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Okay, I am all the way to page 8 and no one so far has made a browns/Watson Butt joke. 

Where is all the immaturity hiding?

Under Deshaun's massage table.

Edited by JMG5

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Okay, I am all the way to page 8 and no one so far has made a browns/Watson Butt joke. 

Where is all the immaturity hiding?

Did you miss the Bill Cosby in the Watson uniform meme and the massage parlors closing gif?