Browns to trade for QB Deshaun Watson; Agree to new contract (5yr 230M Fully GTD)

AkronsWitness

Riddle this one out.

Out of all the players in the history of the Cleveland Browns. Who is the only Brown that you know was already getting their contract reworked today (or yesterday)?

It starts with Deshau_ and ends with _atson

Its truly staggering that they would find the cap space there. What are the odds?

Yeah, we'd love to do this deal today, but only if we can get Amari to rework his contract so we don't offend anyone by doing something within the rules.

Occam's Razor, the path of least resistance, whatever.

Edited by SkippyX

19 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

No, Deshaun is the Texans GM on all things Watson until he is traded.

No Trade Clause... Its a stupid as it sounds.

Okay, so... Watson could back out if he chose to? That's what I was really getting at. I'm not trying to create a conspiracy theory, nor do I expect this to happen, I was just curious. 

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

Yeah, we'd love to do this deal today, but only if we can get Amari to rework his contract so we don't offended anyone by doing something within the rules.

The whole point is that the Browns won over Watson (who had to waive his no trade clause) by giving him a ton more money (which will of course be charged to their cap) AND removing almost all financial cost of 2022 suspension from Watson and putting on the team's cap/payroll via signing bonus regardless of how much time he misses this year.

You were the one who was weirdly making the case that this was good for the Browns cap so that is why they redid the deal with a bunch of additional new money and acted like it was a positive for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Okay, so... Watson could back out if he chose to? That's what I was really getting at. I'm not trying to create a conspiracy theory, nor do I expect this to happen, I was just curious. 

i think the NFL lets you submit conditional transactions for this specific scenario, but im just guessing

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

None of us have any idea if the trade was finalized or the contract was signed.

We'd be guessing. It would be nutty if they backed out but stranger things have happened.

Just now, SkippyX said:

None of us have any idea if the trade was finalized or the contract was signed.

We'd be guessing. It would be nutty if they backed out but stranger things have happened.

In before he backs out and signs in New Orleans in a trade that sends CJGJ to houston

id die 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The structure of the contract suggests Watson might be expecting to get suspended for the 2022 season.

The structure of Rodgers', Mahomes', and Prescott's contracts do as well.

Its adding nefarious intentions to math. Math is not nefarious.

Always find out for yourself first. Don't assume and don't look to me or anyone else to provide all your answers. I suggest you go to overthecap.com and find how many 10m+ average contracts have 2022 salaries under 2 million.

Kamara is a good place to start. Could he be suspended? sure

Do the Saints need every nickel for the last 3 years? also yes

Are the Saints and Kamara also nefarious or just Watson and Cleveland because of some feelings?

Edited by SkippyX

5 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Watson is going to surpass him. From a talent perspective, he’s a better QB

He can be more talented. Jeff George was talented. A lot less talented quarterbacks had more success. 

If Watson can go to ten Super Bowls, and win seven...well that would be impressive. 

45 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

No, Deshaun is the Texans GM on all things Watson until he is traded.

No Trade Clause... Its a stupid as it sounds.

i mean he still probably will have one on the Browns

• Like 1