Deshaun Watson is a Cleveland Brown

brownie man

If you are the NFL and want to grow your brand, market share, and pick up revenues young women are BY FAR the most attractive demographic to target. Its far easier than expanding internationally and its ripe for the taking.

Women now more than ever are likely to work, have higher degrees, more disposable income, power careers, etc. They are also more progressive and politically active than ever before and we are in the wake of #metoo and Roe v Wade. 

Young successful women also are far more likely to actually stand by their values. 

I live in Chicago now and half the women I'm friends with LOVE the NFL and know their **** and are completely disgusted by Watson. One of my best friends renounced the Browns over it and shes more die hard than I am and shes definitely not supporting the team ever again with him on it. 

This is a very real problem here. Women care, women spend, and women will follow through with their actions in a way that aligns with their own values. 

Pissing off millions of women fans is the stupidest business decision the NFL can make. If the NFL expands the punishment to a year, or more, they actually look like the good guys for once and gain a lot of easily clout. And whats the drawback for the NFL? The worst franchise in the league has another bad year? Boo hoo. Their fans will get over it, we are like pigs and we love rolling in ****. 

Counterpoint in advance to a few stupid arguments I hear all the time:

-Big Ben was 12 years ago in a different political environment 

-Ray Rice was the biggest PR disaster in modern NFL history so using that as an example is always stupid

-Only die hard fans know who Greg Hardy is and his case had minimal popular culture implications or news coverage

28 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

The issue is we are desperate and teams knew we had no leverage with Baker. I think Jimmy G would cost a second and then some. 

Oh hell naw 😂 

Im rolling for Jacoby. Especially if they expect us to pickup that contract. 

I think we could get Jimmy for a swap of a 3rd for a 5th. They don’t wanna pay him or send him within division. 

11 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Oh hell naw 😂 

Im rolling for Jacoby. Especially if they expect us to pickup that contract. 

I think we could get Jimmy for a swap of a 3rd for a 5th. They don’t wanna pay him or send him within division. 

I'm cool with Jacoby. We will need a better backup than Rosen though unless he can somehow turn it around.

I think SF would take a 4th or 5th for Jimmy if a team took on his salary. I don't think we would.

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'm cool with Jacoby. We will need a better backup than Rosen though unless he can somehow turn it around.

I think SF would take a 4th or 5th for Jimmy if a team took on his salary. I don't think we would.

I think we’d take his salary. Might also be part of the reason we set up Deshauns contact the way we did. Just in case we can afford Jimmy straight up 

3 hours ago, nugpimpen said:

I think they try to give him a year and this bleeds into next year. Worst case scenario. 

With the public outcry he could see a 2 yr suspension.  Plus monetary as well.  

The nfl is feeling the pressure to up the games.   

46 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

They are also more progressive and politically active than ever before and we are in the wake of #metoo and Roe v Wade. 

I was with you until this.

No, they don’t vote. It’s why progressive ideas never actually happen. The other side is whipping our collective ***** and all we do is get emotional and have little support group sessions.

10 minutes ago, hanford29 said:

How in the HELL did the NFLPA agree to this system?! Why even have a third party involved? To me it makes no sense. Take this specific case out of the equation.  It makes no sense.

Previously the league only made examples out of pot heads and let DV and SA cases go with a slap on the wrist. 

The NFL gave the players leniency on weed during the CBA. 

13 minutes ago, hanford29 said:

How in the HELL did the NFLPA agree to this system?! Why even have a third party involved? To me it makes no sense. Take this specific case out of the equation.  It makes no sense.

Exactly how I feel about it. 

The suspension should be longer in my personal opinion but the system itself is silly. No point in a third party if it can just be overruled by the league because they did not like the result. 

Edited by pscottdai

None of Jimmy's salary is guaranteed now, so it's a different situation than with Baker. The browns (or any team) just has to give him an offer that is in line with what he think he'd get on the market right now if released, which wouldn't be much if we are being honest. 

If the browns made a play for Jimmy, they'd reach out to the 49ers and Don Yee, negotiate a new one year deal with Jimmy for this season. I'd guess something like 8 million with incentives? 

47 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I was with you until this.

No, they don’t vote. It’s why progressive ideas never actually happen. The other side is whipping our collective ***** and all we do is get emotional and have little support group sessions.

I dont want to get too into the politics and focus on NFLs optics towards Watson / capitalizing on how penalizing Watson strongly is a good move for NFL. 

Voting for younger people is way up from any other levels we've seen previously. It might not be at the right numbers. But this is a really freaking old country that gets older every year. The average voter age is like 5 years older than it was 20 years ago despite way higher turnout amongst young voters, simply due to boomers aging and other generations not pumping out babies. 

Baby boomer generation just dominates politics and has forever + increases in medicine is making them live longer. 

In 5-10 years the demo's will  change wildly as old people die. For a long time population was growing in 48/49 states every census with only states like Michigan declining due to failing industry. In a few years population will be declining in almost every state because the country is extremely old and we aren't replacing them with young people. 

The current set up makes total sense from an NFL standpoint. If the NFL gets the result they want, they would accept it and take no blame for any of the backlash because it wasn’t their decision. If they don’t like the outcome, they appeal for public image. What I don’t get is why the players association got on board with this.

The timing has really been awesome for the NFL. Suspension is announced. News dump about the dolphins which makes the NFL look bad. Then overshadow with a Watson appeal.