Deshaun Watson is a Cleveland Brown

brownie man

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

If Deshaun is traded then I hink they would prefer to start Baker. 
If he hits it for 4 weeks he could leverage himself into a starting role and the Browns could get a 1. A win win for both teams. 

In a perfect world where feelings don't get hurt, sure that could happen during Watson's suspension. Of course in a perfect world Watson wouldn't be facing 22 civil suits either.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

If he hits it for 4 weeks he could leverage himself into a starting role and the Browns could get a 1. A win win for both teams. 

I'm assuming you mean suspended. But sure that sounds good. That said, I think the Browns gave handled the situation so poorly that there is no way to get a first. Maybe they could get a second, though. I also wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't suspended at all, though (lol). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm assuming you mean suspended. But sure that sounds good. That said, I think the Browns gave handled the situation so poorly that there is no way to get a first. Maybe they could get a second, though. I also wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't suspended at all, though (lol). 

Part of me is stuggling with the fact Wentz who is on his 3rd team in as many years and has proven to not be good went for a 2nd and two 3rds. Then Watson with 22 civil cases still went for three 1sts + more. Even Ryan with his giant contract and age went for a 3rd.

But the best we can do for Baker is a 5th and we have to eat his contract?

Doesnt make sense to me.

Edited by AkronsWitness

27 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Part of me is stuggling with the fact Wentz who is on his 3rd team in as many years and has proven to not be good went for a 2nd and two 3rds. Then Watson with 22 civil cases still went for three 1sts + more. Even Ryan with his giant contract and age went for a 3rd.

Doesnt make sense to me.

A small part of it is timing. We were almost certainly asking for more than what Wentz and Ryan went for, and even the teams that like Baker didn't like him that much.

A small part is that Baker will be a UFA after this season.

A small part is Baker's shoulder injury.

A small part (I think a really small part) might be the narrative that teams are pissed at the Browns for the Watson contract.

The easiest answer though (and probably the biggest reason) is that teams don't think Baker is that good.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Doesnt make sense to me.

I think we're at a point where we are in a buyer's market rather than a seller's market.  

It would have been a gutsy thing to do, but I think with

20 20 hindsight GIF

we trade Mayfield first, and roll the dice on getting Watson.  If that doesn't happen, then you look at a stop gap before trying to get one of the top guys in 2023's draft.  This isn't for the purpose of sparing Mayfield's feelings, but purely from an econmics standpoint.  

30 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I think we're at a point where we are in a buyer's market rather than a seller's market.  

It would have been a gutsy thing to do, but I think with

20 20 hindsight GIF

we trade Mayfield first, and roll the dice on getting Watson.  If that doesn't happen, then you look at a stop gap before trying to get one of the top guys in 2023's draft.  This isn't for the purpose of sparing Mayfield's feelings, but purely from an econmics standpoint.  

I feel ike thats what they should have done....

Traded Baker for max value. Go after Watson. If you get him great, if not go pay the price for Jimmy G.

Why we decided to hang onto Baker through all of this when in hindsight he should have been the first move is......

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

A small part of it is timing. We were almost certainly asking for more than what Wentz and Ryan went for, and even the teams that like Baker didn't like him that much.

A small part (I think a really small part) might be the narrative that teams are pissed at the Browns for the Watson contract.

The easiest answer though (and probably the biggest reason) is that teams don't think Baker is that good.

The biggest reason why they can not trade Mayfield is that supposedly he already has a long term offer if there is no picks involved.

17 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I feel ike thats what they should have done....

Traded Baker for max value. Go after Watson. If you get him great, if not go pay the price for Jimmy G.

Why we decided to hang onto Baker through all of this when in hindsight he should have been the first move is......

Come on now. That's some serious revisionist history.

Even if we did trade him earlier, who would've paid this supposed big price for Baker?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I agree with all of the above, but I think this is the biggest. We were probably trying to ask for too much (trying to sell the whole former #1 overall pick and whatnot) and teams that were interested probably don't view him that highly for what we may have been asking for. Especially once the media blew it up regarding Baker requesting a trade and all the other "rumors", basically knowing there is a dissent, they know they can get him for a lot cheaper. I think teams right now are probably gauging what the Browns are willing to negotiate because it's out there that both the Browns FO and Baker have a mutual agreement to split. 

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

You can give up bro

he ain’t playing another down for us 

we might keep him into the season but he’s not playing. 

46 minutes ago, brownie man said:

You can give up bro

he ain’t playing another down for us 

we might keep him into the season but he’s not playing. 

That doesnt take care of Baker though, he is no deshaun watson. He has a lot left to prove. 

He was the 32nd best passer from a clean pocket in 2020. That was terrible, with an amazing oline.