Leisher's Ain't going to happen Mock. 3/22

jleisher

See the source image

Rod Marinelli Senior Defensive Line Advisor.  (Yeah, I am sticking with him.)

Trades:  

See the source image

DK Metcalf WR Seahawks.  Packers give up picks #28, 2023 and 2024 1st rd picks.

See the source image

Terry McLaurin WR Washington.  Green Bay trade pick #22.  

Resign:  

See the source image

Whitney Mercilus Edge 1yr $6m 

Outside FA's:

See the source image

Calais Campbell DE 1yr $6m

Draft:  

#53.

See the source image

Alec Pierce WR Cincinnati

#59. 

See the source image

Jaquan Brisker S Penn St. 6'1" 199lbs.  (NEW)

Football IQ: I’ve been highly impressed with the growth shown by Brisker this season in this area to have more anticipation and put himself in position to create more plays. But it is the breadth of responsibilities he’s been trusted with that is most impressive—he’s got a vast menu of roles to fill and his comfort in both coverage reps and fitting the run from multiple alignments is very impressive. I feel good about his ability to step into an every-down role early on and be an early starter as a result. 

Tackling: Brisker’s tackle radius is significant. He’s a long defender who has good acceleration to close ground and square up his hits. He’s not just a wrap-up tackler, either. He’ll smack the taste out of your mouth when running downhill or attacking the line of scrimmage. He’s been able to make a significant impact in the backfield this season as well, logging six tackles for loss and many of them have seen him serving as the aggressor. He’s capable of being a tone-setter in this regard, although there are some instances of his eagerness getting the best of him and compromising his fit and angle to the football. 

Versatility: You’d be hard-pressed to find a role Brisker can’t succeed in. I do think, however, asking him to play as a single-high Cover 1 defender and charging him with playing numbers to numbers isn’t the best usage of his skill set. I do think he’s an athlete that could take on such a role as a part of his bigger usage, however. I’m highly comfortable with him in the box and I’ve seen him scrape and fill backside against power runs in short-yardage completely unbothered by the high-traffic situations. Playing him in low zones will make the most of his ability to influence and hunt throws, accentuating his instincts and putting his length in a position to better contest throwing windows. 

Ball Skills: Ball production hasn’t been problematic but it has also steadily improved over the course of his time at Penn State. The physicality he plays with when arriving at the ball is going to be helpful in his bid to continue to break up more passes in coverage. His awareness to attack the ball and stay aggressive should allow him to prevent missed opportunities. I think, despite his age, he’s someone who is still blooming as an instinctual player in coverage and he’s going to continue to find the football more; he’ll make those opportunities count. 

Competitive Toughness: Tone-setting defender who usually ends up making a splash play when the team needs one. His effort is excellent and the ground he covers is highly valuable to allow him to find the hustle plays needed to always be around the ball. I love the way he challenges both backs and blockers in the run game—he’s got “the dog” in him and plays with a chip on his shoulder. 

Special Teams Ability: Given his style of play, I have no doubt that Brisker is capable of playing on teams, particularly on the kick coverage units. Whether or not a team is comfortable with that role for him is likely going to be predicated on how big of a role he has defensively. He handled return duties in high school (five touchdowns in 2016) but that has not been a part of his role since arriving in Happy Valley. 

#92.

See the source image

Cameron Thomas DE/Edge San Diego St. 6'5" 267lbs.  (NEW)

First-Step Explosion: He has an outstanding get-off. He is a quick-twitch athlete who plays with outstanding initial quickness. This puts linemen in really tough positions.

Run Defending: He is exceptional against the run. He is physical and tough at the point of attack. He also does a good job disengaging and his relentless hustle and motor help him get to the football. 

Effort: He plays with rare-level effort. His emotional endurance is second to none in this class. He wins with his effort and outstanding hustle and also combines it with good technique. 

Football IQ: He has good football IQ. He sets up offensive linemen and wins on the interior. He has a good feel for where the QB is going to set up at the top of his drop. 

Versatility: He has aligned in several different positions at SDSU. However, I believe his best position is 4-3 DE. He could potentially gain mass and play reduced down inside. 

#132.

See the source image

Mike Rose ILB Iowa St. 6'2" 245lbs.  (NEW)

Tackling: Rose is a fundamental wrap-up tackler. In moments where he overruns the play, his long arms keep him within striking distance. Rose is plagued by missed tackles as a result of poor leverage. He is a high and upright striker, allowing the ball-carrier to make contact underneath his pads. Lowering his pad level and rolling through his hips can shore up his tackling deficiencies. His lack of short-area quickness causes him to miss tackles by a shoestring.

Football IQ/Instincts: Reads and diagnoses offensive blocking patterns/combinations. He diagnoses plays before they unfold. This allows him to play one step ahead. Remains cognizant of down and distances to defend the right area of the field. 

Competitive Toughness: Rose is a physical and fierce competitor. He does not mind putting his body on the line and playing a physical brand of football. He does not stop working to the football even when the leverage battle is lost. Relentless motor to continue fighting through an OL’s latch. 

Pass Coverage Ability: High football IQ to read and pass off routes in zone. His head remains on a swivel to remain aware of the routes that threaten his area. He will face-guard slot receivers before zone turning to stay in phase. In 2020, he came down with five interceptions on the season. Lack of twitch and explosiveness may limit him to zone responsibilities. Gains proper depth as a spot dropper. 

Run Defending: Functional strength at the POA. Attacks gaps with a bull mindset, drops his head, and shoulders to force his way through. Continues to fight through contact to remain in striking distance of the ball-carrier. Sets outside leverage from the overhang position. Identifies the read-option and QB-keep plays before triggering downhill. 

Leadership: Fiery competitor that exudes high energy in his play. Communicates assignments with his teammates. Team leader in career starts. His relentless effort and versatility are infectious.

Versatility: Rose split time as an in-the-box backer and overhang/nickel. He was trustworthy detached from the tackle box, but in the NFL, he will face a tougher task. NFL offenses will target him with quick-twitch receivers and dual-threat running backs. Playing more off-ball MIKE and edge in an odd front is the best usage for Rose.  

#140.

See the source image

Matt Hankins CB Iowa

#171.

See the source image

Cade Mays T/G/C Tennessee 6'5" 325lbs.  (NEW)

Competitive Toughness: There is plenty of nasty in the way Mays battles on the field. He is aggressive when seeking leverage points to displace defenders and drive them into the ground. He consistently seeks work, follows the football, and seeks contact. 

Football IQ: Mays has experience across four seasons at all five positions on the offensive line in multiple different offensive systems, which speaks to his overall football intelligence. Timing on the move can be hit or miss. Despite inconsistent hands, holding calls have not been a major issue for him. 

Versatility: While Mays has played every spot along the offensive line, he's best suited to play right guard in the NFL. I also think he is best suited for a gap-blocking run scheme. His resume and projection don’t line up. 

#228.

See the source image

Noah Burks Edge Wisconsin 6'2" 245lbs.  (NEW)

Tackling: Burks is a reliable form tackler. He locates the ball-carrier and squares up his target for contact. Sinks his hips and drives through the opponent with proper technique. He rarely misses tackles. 

Football IQ/Instincts: Burks is one of the smartest defenders on his team. He knows both boundary and field responsibilities/keys. Diagnoses run and pass with quickness to drive and pursue the ball. 

Competitive Toughness: Burks is a great competitor with a good and consistent motor. His effort is relentless. He pursues plays from anywhere on the field, playside and backside. 

Pass Coverage Ability: He is a limited participant in pass coverage. He lacks the athleticism and movement skills to mirror in man coverage. He is at his best dropping to a designated spot in zone coverage. The curl to flat and hook zones are the areas he occupies best. 

Run Defending: He’s an active participant as a run defender. Aligned as the outside linebacker, Burks sets a hard and strong edge. He funnels plays back inside to his help. Lacking quick twitch ability, if a RB bounces runs outside, Burks can struggle to make up ground. 

Leadership: Burks is known by his teammates as a leader by example. He has taught alignment responsibilities to his teammates. He communicates well as the plan adjusts pre-snap. His work ethic is evident—he returned to school to improve his pass rush ability. 

Versatility: He can play the boundary and field outside linebacker positions. Offers rushing and coverage value for a 3-4 defensive front. Burks is a consistent participant on special teams, providing value on punt coverage and field goal units. 

#249.

washington-state-cougar-rb-max-borghi-in-a-game-between-the-state-picture-id1230253212?s=2048x2048

Max Borghi RB/RS Washington St.

#258.

See the source image

Luke Tenuta T Virginia Tech 6'9" 322lbs.  (NEW)

Competitive Toughness: Tenuta has a hot motor and good temperament. He gets after people in space and continually looks for work. He executes with the desired edge needed in an offensive lineman.

Football IQ: Tenuta comes from a family of coaches and athletes. He functions with a good understanding of timing and with good awareness. Penalties have only been a minor issue for him in college. 

Versatility: Tenuta spent two seasons at right tackle before flipping to left tackle in 2021. He is likely a tackle only as his frame does not project well to the interior. He is best suited for a zone blocking scheme. 

UDFA's:

See the source image

Ryder Anderson Edge/DE Indiana 6'6" 275lbs.

See the source image

Nolan Turner S Clemson 6'1" 202lbs.

See the source image

George Moore T Oregon 6'6" 324lbs.

See the source image

Trae Barry TE Boston College 6'7" 245lbs.

See the source image

Allie Green IV CB Missouri 6'3" 202lbs.

See the source image

Ryan Wright P Tulane 6'3" 245lbs.

See the source image

Tyarise Stevenson NT Tulsa 6'3" 365lbs.

See the source image

Skylar Thompson QB Kansas St. 6'1" 220lbs.

So you use 4 first round picks plus a second round pick on WR's.  Leave us nothing in the way of draft picks to replenish the team over the next couple years.

This might be the worst go forward plan I've seen yet.  Bill O'Brien is that you?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Norm said:

Saw this today and just had to use it once. Sorry op

kdwimu9vlxo81.jpg

It's all about the cut and paste skills, something that can be used as a reference down the road in future job interviews.

• Like 2

First off, I really applaud your efforts to piss off the anti-wr crowd as much as possible. That pop you heard was one of their heads exploding.

Now, I think that three firsts for one year and the right to pay Metcalf a huge salary and bonus is way too steep. I imagine he would cost closer to a first this year and maybe a second next season. If they asked for two firsts, I'd like some assurances that he signed a 4 year extension right after being traded. Three firsts for me is too much under any circumstance (aside from them signing him to a huge extension with a massive bonus before trading him to us - which would never happen).

Value for Terry seems on par. He's an absolute stud and it would be amazing to see what he could do with a real QB.

Campbell would be a great fit for us at this point in his career, and I also would love to have Mercilus return to eliminate any short term depth needs in the front seven. 

As for the draft...I don't think we'll need Pierce with two other outside receivers already costing so much capital, but I love him as a prospect.

The rest includes some names I need to get more familiar with, so it was nice reading about those players.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I lost count.  How many first round picks are given up for a WR who will play for one year and be gone?

Versus...how many picks did we get for 'Vante?

And that is as far as I got....

Its A No From Me Idol GIF - Its A No Its A No From Me American Idol -  Discover & Share GIFs

You anti-WR crowd member you, why do you need to be a hater? Don't you understand the current catastrophe that has fallen on the GB Packers WR room? Now run out into the street screaming in total panic for the sake of all things WR's.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, R T said:

You anti-WR crowd member you, why do you need to be a hater? Don't you understand the current catastrophe that has fallen on the GB Packers WR room? Now run out into the street screaming in total panic for the sake of all things WR's.  

The more I look at the draft, the more convinced I am that Olave is the one I want.  I'll take him at #22, or I'll sacrifice a third rounder to move up a little to secure him.

I'd love Williams, but I do not know the medicals.

But after we take a WR with our first overall pick, I'm prepared to take OL with the next pick.  Green looks safe and his comp is Jenkins.  Gimme that.  People forget, our line is not so good.  Jones had 0 breakaway runs last year.  So let's draft a quality IOL high to pair with Myers.

Round two, gimme another WR.  Just gimme.  Then go EDGE.  Fill out the draft with OT/S and aaaawwwwaaaayyyy we go.

Olave goes in the top 15 and I'm gonna cry a little and drink a lot.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

The more I look at the draft, the more convinced I am that Olave is the one I want.  I'll take him at #22, or I'll sacrifice a third rounder to move up a little to secure him.

I'd love Williams, but I do not know the medicals.

But after we take a WR with our first overall pick, I'm prepared to take OL with the next pick.  Green looks safe and his comp is Jenkins.  Gimme that.  People forget, our line is not so good.  Jones had 0 breakaway runs last year.  So let's draft a quality IOL high to pair with Myers.

Round two, gimme another WR.  Just gimme.  Then go EDGE.  Fill out the draft with OT/S and aaaawwwwaaaayyyy we go.

Olave goes in the top 15 and I'm gonna cry a little and drink a lot.

Nah Dotson is just as good maybe even a bit better...either on will be fine.  Once should be available to us at #22.  Now if they are both gone then I'll cry too...