DC Movie Universe

devils1854

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Geoff Johns is trash.   DC Comics has been a trainwreck under him.

It's mostly executive meddling Johns long left the comics side and has been mainly a producer since 2018.

I mean DC just fired like half their comics staff like a week before Fandome lol. It's been a mess to be certain but D.C Entertainment is doing very well.

2 hours ago, Xmad said:

It's mostly executive meddling Johns long left the comics side and has been mainly a producer since 2018.

I mean DC just fired like half their comics staff like a week before Fandome lol. It's been a mess to be certain but D.C Entertainment is doing very well.

Is it?

Not being a smartarse, but it just seems like they have more misses than hits, whether its comics, movies, TV shows, animated features, etc.

Not saying they are struggling, but they still have no identity IMO.

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Is it?

Not being a smartarse, but it just seems like they have more misses than hits, whether its comics, movies, TV shows, animated features, etc.

Not saying they are struggling, but they still have no identity IMO.

D.C TV has literally never been more popular, whether you like the CW shows, HBOMax ones, animated ones (Uh...Young Justice and Harley quinn is about it plus kids shows) there's at least one show for you and if you don't like any of them then well, sucks to be you.

The movies have been hit or miss but that's always been a thing with D.C not just the 2010s era. But the majority of them are profitable and that's all D.C cares about. Animated movies I can't really comment on it because I don't give two hecks.

Video games have been quite fantastic since Arkham Asylum we've had some stinkers (Origins even then, decent game) 

Comics is a ****show right now but that's the entire American comic industry which is failing to find a foothold compared to say the manga industry in japan.

They have an identity, they're a media company and you consume their media.

Like I am no major fan of D.C and their b.s but they are literally hitting on all cylinders except for the movies/comics and even then that's a personal taste/executive b.s thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

They've had some hits. Hard to find them outside of things written by Tom King or Scott Snyder

Bendis' run on Superman has been great esp Action Comics.  Curious to see what he does next.  Hopefully it's on a Batman book paired with Alex Maleev.  

37 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Bendis' run on Superman has been great esp Action Comics.  Curious to see what he does next.  Hopefully it's on a Batman book paired with Alex Maleev.  

Im actually not too thrilled with what he has done with Supes. Maybe my expectations were too high, especially when he introduced Rogol Zarr like immediately. It just served to undo the current cannon. He aged up Jon unceremoniously and then shipped him off to the future, which bugged me. 

42 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Im actually not too thrilled with what he has done with Supes. Maybe my expectations were too high, especially when he introduced Rogol Zarr like immediately. It just served to undo the current cannon. He aged up Jon unceremoniously and then shipped him off to the future, which bugged me. 

I’ve enjoyed Action Comics much more than Superman esp the artwork.  Bendis is fantastic at crime comics so his take on how organized crime would operate under Superman’s nose in Metropolis was great.  

Didn’t really get into the off planet stuff but Rogol didn’t bother me bcuz it always felt like there should be more to the story of Krypton’s destruction.  I still don’t really understand how Jor-El was alive but I’m not invested enough to really care.

I don’t understand the backlash about aging Jonathan.  We’ve seen it done in sitcoms so many times.  He was at an age where he was too young to do anything super heroic. Did we really want to follow his elementary school hijinks anyway?  He’s way more interesting now. 

11 hours ago, Xmad said:

D.C TV has literally never been more popular, whether you like the CW shows, HBOMax ones, animated ones (Uh...Young Justice and Harley quinn is about it plus kids shows) there's at least one show for you and if you don't like any of them then well, sucks to be you.

The movies have been hit or miss but that's always been a thing with D.C not just the 2010s era. But the majority of them are profitable and that's all D.C cares about. Animated movies I can't really comment on it because I don't give two hecks.

Video games have been quite fantastic since Arkham Asylum we've had some stinkers (Origins even then, decent game) 

Comics is a ****show right now but that's the entire American comic industry which is failing to find a foothold compared to say the manga industry in japan.

They have an identity, they're a media company and you consume their media.

Like I am no major fan of D.C and their b.s but they are literally hitting on all cylinders except for the movies/comics and even then that's a personal taste/executive b.s thing.

Just a few small counters...

1)   The CW shows are embarrassing now, and the ratings are reflecting that.   Arrow is done.   Flash is barely even about the Flash anymore.  Supergirl is Super cringe and ending after the upcoming season.  Batwoman...no comment.    

I do like Titans (now on HBO Max), and heard good things about other shows.

2)  Movies have done okay....but couldve made them so much more.   Justice League and BvS not reaching a billion was a huge failure.   Harley Quinn movie was a terrible idea.

3)   Games are the one area DC has the edge over Marvel.

4)   DC AS A COMPANY might have an identity, but DC'S CONTENT does not.   Its all over the place.   They either have no plan or just a terrible one. 

People might consume their media, but not nearly at the level people would if it was run more competently.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I don’t understand the backlash about aging Jonathan.  We’ve seen it done in sitcoms so many times.  He was at an age where he was too young to do anything super heroic. Did we really want to follow his elementary school hijinks anyway?  He’s way more interesting now. 

They aged him up just to ship him off. It's the combo that bothers me because Superman's family dynamic was really interesting. That, and Super Sons with Damien was really good and their relationship was the most complex and intriguing in all of DC short of maybe Bats/Cats and they threw it away with just a few awkward goodbye panels. 

23 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

They aged him up just to ship him off. It's the combo that bothers me because Superman's family dynamic was really interesting. That, and Super Sons with Damien was really good and their relationship was the most complex and intriguing in all of DC short of maybe Bats/Cats and they threw it away with just a few awkward goodbye panels. 

I never cared for Legion so I get how that took away from his bond with Damian.  I feel like that’s an easy fix for any writer at DC to reunite them in the present.  

The best book DC is putting out at the moment  imo is Batman’s Grave by Warren Ellis & Bryan Hitch. If David Fincher were to direct a Batman movie, this is what I’d imagine it’d be like.  Hitch is doing some of the best work in his already storied career.  I can’t wait to see how it wraps up.  

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

@Deadpulse I’m ready for those DC cartoon movies.  Watching The Killing Joke.

Would like to pretend they’re connected as much as possible.  No **** ones.

Best ones to start with are the Batman ones. Here are the ones in the same continuity:

Son of Batman
Batman vs. Robin
Batman: Bad Blood
Batman: Hush

The other flicks in the same shared universe are (in chronological order; I included the Batman films above JIC you wanted to go pure chronological):

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

Justice League: War 

Son of Batman 

Justice League: Throne of Atlantis 

Batman vs. Robin 

Batman: Bad Blood

Justice League vs. Teen Titans 

Justice League Dark 

Teen Titans: The Judas Contract 

Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay 

The Death of Superman 

Reign of the Supermen