DC Movie Universe

devils1854

13 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Ray Fisher just won't stop. Claims WB leaked the reshoot report as false information to distract from his accusations.

This is the 3rd time he and/or Mamoa have claimed WB has done something like this over the last 2 months.

former head of DC entertainment.  

edit: she deleted her account.  Here’s a screengrab of her post:

yebmj0Z_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by thrILL!

19 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I know Snyder had talked about a 5 movie arc of which Justice League was part 3 after Man of Steel and BvS.  Does he try to fit the ideas for 4 and 5 into this cut?

If they let him direct any more DC movies, they deserve losing every penny they will inevitably lose.

And for the record, I dont hate Snyder.   MoS was good and BvS had its moments, but he is a very limited director who doesn't know how to direct movies with cohesive narratives.

Edited by 43M

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

If they let him direct any more DC movies, they deserve losing every penny they will inevitably lose.

And for the record, I dont hate Snyder.   MoS was good and BvS had its moments, but he is a very limited director who doesn't know how to direct movies with cohesive narratives.

That's the crappies thing of all, they never lost any money on any of these.  They didn't rake in the billions like the MCU did which i'm sure was a huge disappointment, but these movies made money for WB.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

That's the crappies thing of all, they never lost any money on any of these.  They didn't rake in the billions like the MCU did which i'm sure was a huge disappointment, but these movies made money for WB.

Pretty sure BvS and JL were largely box office failures.  They didnt bomb, but considering everything, I dont think they made too much from them.   Aquaman and Joker....hell, even the terrible Suicide Squad movie were all bigger successes.

8 minutes ago, 43M said:

Pretty sure BvS and JL were largely box office failures.  They didnt bomb, but considering everything, I dont think they made too much from them.   Aquaman and Joker....hell, even the terrible Suicide Squad movie were all bigger successes.

I think B v S made nearly a billion worldwide, so I would call that a success (edit: looked it up, $873 million, 17th all time for superhero movies). 

52 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think B v S made nearly a billion worldwide, so I would call that a success (edit: looked it up, $873 million, 17th all time for superhero movies). 

Ehh if you look at it more closely it’s a bomb.

$330,360,194 domestically . They get half the proceeds. $165,180,097

$543,277,344 worldwide. Get about 35% of that. $190,147,070

so they profited about $355,327,167. Take away from that what the budget would be, and it’s a massive failure 

• Like 1

Yep, the way Hollywood works, the only DC movies since Nolan was involved that would be considered profitable have been Aquaman and Wonder Woman. 

You also have to consider these are BATMAN and SUPERMAN movies.  Easily the two most recognizable superheroes ever. 

Justice League - 2.2 times production budget
Batman Begins - 2.5 times budget.
Man of Steel - 2.9 times budget.
Batman Forever - 3 times production budget.
Batman Returns - 3.3 times production budget. 
Batman Vs Superman - 3.49 times production budget.
Suicide Squad - 4.2 times production budget.
The Dark Knight Rises - 4.3 times production budget
The Dark Knight - 5.4 times production budget.
Wonder Woman - 5.5 times production budget.
Aquaman - 5.7 times production budget.
Batman - 11 times production budget.

Two things you have to remember:

1. Advertising does not factor into the budget.  Typically, you add half the budget for advertising.  Yes, that's legitimate.  So a 300 million dollar movie costs 450 million. 
2. Studios only get about 50% of a box office take domestically, about 25-40% internationally (25% of China, 40% elsewhere).
3. Domestic counts a LOT more towards considering it a success. 

So you look at The Dark Knight.  That made over half its return DOMESTICALLY
You look at Aquaman.  That made 70% of its return INTERNATIONALLY

That is an EXTREME disparity. 

A success is doubling the budget DOMESTICALLY.  International returns are considered gravy. 

The Dark Knight nearly TRIPLED its budget DOMESTICALLY.
Aquaman didn't even double its budget. 

You might be wondering, "If you only make that much and you double the budget on advertising, how do movies make money at all in theaters?"

The simple answer is they don't.  That's the fact of the matter.  They typically don't.  Movies make their money off ANCILLARY markets.

George Lucas was a multi-billionaire long before he sold Star Wars to Disney.  How?  He kept nearly all ancillary market rights to Star Wars.  He essentially became a billionaire off a percentage - A PERCENTAGE - of profits from toys. 

THAT is why Disney bought Star Wars. 

Toys.  Towels.  Bed spreads.  Wallpaper.  Blu ray sales.  Streaming sales.  TV sales. 

That's how movies make money.  That's how DCEU has bombed on every single movie they've made since The Dark Knight Rises.

No, they haven't lost any money on any of them.  In fact, they've made lots of money on each of them. 

It's not about making or losing money, it's about how much money you make.  If I told you I could turn 20 dollars into 21 dollars with just 20 minutes of your time, how many of you would take that 20 minutes?  I'd be like, "**** it, no thanks." 

Now if I told you I could turn 20 dollars into 200 dollars with just 20 minutes of your time, a lot more of you would be willing to hear me out. 

Somebody bookmark this post because I'm not doing it again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I didn't get that, either.

Looks like she deleted her account.  The tweet was up and visible last night when i posted it.  She chimed in saying there were lots of complaints about Johns. 

Found a screengrab of it tho:

yebmj0Z_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1