2022 MLB Discussion/Game Day Thread

beekay414

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Why do we even have replay in this joke of a league if you're not going to overturn calls? 

I don't have a different vid and don't care enough to look for one. I am only going off that vid. So I fully acknowledge there may be a better one to dispel this, but it did look to me that there was a chance is backfoot wasn't on the bag initially when the front came off. It was more up in the air than angled later. If that is what they saw that would explain why they couldn't be sure (they did say stand, not confirmed)

https://imgur.com/a/UPdVa8d (screen shot from 37 seconds)

17 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I don't have a different vid and don't care enough to look for one. I am only going off that vid. So I fully acknowledge there may be a better one to dispel this, but it did look to me that there was a chance is backfoot wasn't on the bag initially when the front came off. It was more up in the air than angled later. If that is what they saw that would explain why they couldn't be sure (they did say stand, not confirmed)

https://imgur.com/a/UPdVa8d (screen shot from 37 seconds)

Yelich was on the bag way before the throw and tag and was forced off by whoever that turd is that plays 3rd for the Reds due to how awkwardly he blocked the bag. By rule, since the throw didn't take the 3B into the runner, he should've been safe. Outside of the rules, one thing I don't get is why you can't block home plate but you can entirely impede someone from the bag at any other spot. Just another example of how MLB is a second rate league.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yelich was on the bag way before the throw and tag and was forced off by whoever that turd is that plays 3rd for the Reds due to how awkwardly he blocked the bag. By rule, since the throw didn't take the 3B into the runner, he should've been safe. Outside of the rules, one thing I don't get is why you can't block home plate but you can entirely impede someone from the bag at any other spot. Just another example of how MLB is a second rate league.

Force off is a judgement call that can't be reviewed. I think his knee running forward did knock Yelich off, but I only saw that on replays. And it was on the opposite side so it's easy to see an ump missing it.

As for the you don't get why it is obviously a safety thing. You don't barrel people over at the other bases because you need to hold the bag. But requiring a slide into home with the same rules doesn't work because of the protective equiptment the catcher has. Personally I don't like the rule. I think the catcher should be allowed to block but the runner can then run him over. But if the catcher gives a place to slide the runner must take it. But as for making it a second rate league every league has rules that differ based on circumstance or location. The circle in basketball for a block/charge. Fumble oob through the end zone for a TB. Goalies in hockey can check you but you can't check them. Goalies in soccer getting to run people over and have the foul called on the offensive player.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Force off is a judgement call that can't be reviewed.

And this is why the replay system in baseball is a joke. Because it's a judgement call, all they're going to do is protect their buddies. He beat the throw and tag, clear as day. He only came off the base due to being forced off it due to how awkwardly it was covered. Rewarding the fielder for that is amateur hour.

4 minutes ago, mse326 said:

As for the you don't get why it is obviously a safety thing. You don't barrel people over at the other bases because you need to hold the bag. But requiring a slide into home with the same rules doesn't work because of the protective equiptment the catcher has. Personally I don't like the rule. I think the catcher should be allowed to block but the runner can then run him over. But if the catcher gives a place to slide the runner must take it.

I'm talking the other way. I know WHY it's a rule at home plate (their poster boy got hurt so they changed the rules after 100 years lol). It makes no sense that you can block 3/4s of the bags when the only one you can't block is the one that directly affects the score of the game. It's just a half assed rule and there's no way around that.

5 minutes ago, mse326 said:

But as for making it a second rate league every league has rules that differ based on circumstance or location. The circle in basketball for a block/charge. Fumble oob through the end zone for a TB. Goalies in hockey can check you but you can't check them. Goalies in soccer getting to run people over and have the foul called on the offensive player.

There's a reason why I said "another example" and not "the example." It's one of a plethora of garbage that makes MLB a second rate league. The NBA at least attempts to fix **** (finally getting rid of the stupid "take foul" this offseason is one example) while baseball just continues to pile on with stuff that nobody wants.

It's whatever. Baseball sucks at this rate and the only reason I stick with it is because I grew up with it. If I was a newer fan (for lack of a better word), I'd have zero interest in the modern game.

8 hours ago, Leader said:

The Curse of the Bambino has manifested itself in Chris Sale....

Chris Cotillo -   Chris Sale broke his wrist riding his bike and had surgery. He will miss the rest of the season.

I believe Chris Sale actually has personal issues because a lot of the benign injuries I just don't believe him anymore. Go after some of his money because of the non baseball injuries and get rid of bloom for destroying the roster and missing the playoffs, regardless of our injuries, with a $241 milly payroll