2022 MLB Discussion/Game Day Thread

beekay414

It’s time for Brian Cashman to go. What he has done this season in terms of sheer negligence is what has sputtered the team into a downward spiral. The sticking with IKF and Hicks is horrific on its own, but then throw in the fact that he keeps guys like Albert Abreu on the 25 man while Ron Marinaccio and Clarke Schmidt who have proven to be effective are in the minors because they have options is atrocious. He royally screwed up the Andujar, and Clint Frazier situations, and he’s royally screwing this season up. And for what? To get an extra service year from some bullpen guys in a season where we were dominant until injuries took a toll. 

The IKF thing is indefensible as well, we have Peraza who is doing well in AAA, much more so lately too and he won’t make the move. All i read from Yankee mouthpieces is it’s because they know what IKF is and they don’t want to call up the unknown in a pennant race. How stupid is that? You know you have a SS with zero power, has shown struggles to make routine plays, but because he hits .260 that’s ok???? Peraza at minimum gives you the same production, and much more likely is a nice spark that can hit for at least some power. It’s infuriating. I’m completely over him. He thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room because he’s gotten hot streaks out of guys like Urshela, Voit, and now Carpenter, but won’t stick with youth. 

8 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

He was caught in between playing them in the bigs or trading them and then did neither.

Okay. Interesting take. Not sure I agree with it entirely though. I think injury played a big part in how the role of each  evolved.

If Andujar's shoulder injury had never happened, there would have been no Gio Urshela and they'd have lived with his defense because of the bat displayed his rookie year. That guy was somebody you pencil into the every day lineup. Though I dont know the specifics of the injury, he's not produced at the same level since after multiple opportunities.  Ultimately, the limited positions he can play on defense plus other roster moves forced him to the side. He seems to have improved the most in LF, but he's just above average at it. I wouldnt put him at 3rd base if they paid me. I suspect they'll move him in the off season.

I think Frazier got more than enough time to show his stuff. Or put more directly, to show he wasnt ready. I really liked the promise of the guy and switched from a "dont trade him!" to "cash in on his rep and move him" position on him. If you believe the trade rumors, Frazier was sought in many high level trades. True or not, I dont know, but supposedly they didnt happen because Cashman didnt want to lose him. True or not, I dont know, but ultimately, it was a mistake IMO because his bat never became what it was promised to be. His defense was atrocious. He made mistakes that should get corrected in Little Leagues.