2022 Mock, Witty Title Goes Here

Billy86

Resign:

Marquez Valdes Scantling – 2yr, 10mn (5mn + 5mn)
He doesn’t seem to be rated as much more than a one trick pony speedster outside of GB, but has actually become a decent player thanks to the hard work and character he was credit with coming out of college. Continues to offer one of the most legitimate deep threats in the league, and gives himself the chance to put himself in the shop window for a bigger deal if he can up those numbers with Davante out of the picture.

Chandon Sullivan – 1yr, 1.75mn
There’s nothing at all special about him, but he is a just about OK player at a very low price in a spot where we have had trouble before. He knows the system, the team, and should not be a liability. For one more year, he will do.

David Kelly – 1yr, 1.5mn
After his preseason, I think we all collectively prepared for the worst when he finally got called upon due to injuries last year after being a scratch week after week after week. And yet… he was solid. Unspectacular, but quietly quite decent. With age (32) and injury history, we should be able to get him for the same amount as last year. I doubt he has a 1,000 snap season in him, but could prove solid backup, peace of mind and can step in as needed.

Whitney Mercilus – 1yr, 2.5mn.
Turning 32 just before the season begins and missing most of last season with injury with just 8 sacks over the last two years, I can’t see there being much of a market for him. Still, he was a nice fit in our system and would be good to have to spell in for Gary/Preston while others develop.

Free Agents:

Calais Campbell – 1yr, 7.5mn
Should the Ravens re-sign DL Calais Campbell?
He's an old man these days (turning 36 right at the start of the season), doesn't get to the passer as much any more and has only played about 60% of snaps the last two years, but is still an absolute beast in the run game and is very disruptive all the same, allowing those around him to flourish. He could have a similar impact as also-old-man Marcedes Lewis has had offensively the last few years, being unflashy but adding an imposing presence that will make you suffer for not planning accordingly. Even with Adams gone, DL might still be our softest spot on the team, it would only be short term but getting Campbell in would change that quickly.

A vet minimum-ish, experienced ILB - kid of a 'whoever is available in August' scenario for cap reasons, but we really could use someone in there behind DeVondre and Barnes. Has to be right around vet minimum, and hopefully Joe can work his magic to get passable play from them.

Trade:

Brandin Cooks for 5th rounder (171 overall)
Texans offense discovers Brandin Cooks

He’s no Davante, but who is? He strikes me as the type of player that would mix well with Rodgers – smooth, intelligent, well rounded, consistent and reliable. This may wind up being a one-year loan in exchange for a 5th, but in our current window that’s a deal worth taking. With Houston a) being in rebuild mode, and b) just being a horribly ran and incompetent franchise we might be able to pull this off. He's had 1,000 yards in 6 of his last 7 seasons, unlike ODB is not a near certainty to miss large chunks of the year with injury, and to my mind Julio Jones is painfully past his best.

Draft:

1 (22): DL Jordan Davis, Georgia – 6’6, 341 lbs
Jordan Davis a 'diamond' in Georgia's 2018 recruiting class
A complete mountain of a man who also put up a 40 time of 4.78 and was a wrecking ball this season, Davis should prove an unmovable object in our defence but also has it in him to be an overpowering nightmare for defences for a long time to come, especially after a year learning from Calais Campbell. Those two + Kenny up front would an absolute force, and Lowry able to rotate in would get him at his best.

1 (28): WR Chris Olave, Ohio State – 6’1, 188lbs
Football: Chris Olave looks to put Fiesta Bowl loss behind him
Should make an excellent fit for Aaron Rodgers and the team. Smooth and rounded enough to possibly be a factor from day one, and even if he does wind up needing a learning curve, he gives us serious field stretching ability from the off (and if MVS is injured). Should hopefully be able to become our #1 after one year taking over from Cooks, if not earlier. Even if he doesn’t pan out as a no.1 to supplant Cooks in 2023, his speed should see him take over MVS’ role in that regard then or in 2024.

TRADE UP: 2 (53), 2023 3rd + 7 (249) for 2 (40)

2(40) OL Kenyon Green, Texas A&M
Kenyon Green 2022 NFL Draft Profile
Big, dogged worker, monstrously strong, hands like Mike Tyson, and very, very versatile which may help him start early. If not, it will be due to having a little development to do in the passing game and in limiting holding penalties but these are vert rectifiable traits. Reminds me quite a bit of Elgton Jenkins, and if he pans out the sheer versatility on our line between those two would be phenomenal, both for long term planning and in case of injuries to others.

2 (59): EDGE Drake Jackson, USC – 6’3, 255 lbs
Drake Jackson || USC Trojans Defensive End || 2021 Highlights - YouTube
Has some work and development to do on technique and size, but the ability is there for him to flourish into a premier pass rusher in the league and he is very strong for his current build. Long, quick, explosive and agile with great closing ability – all the ‘things you can’t teach’ – has played as low as the 240-something lb region but is currently listed at 255 and has the frame to put on even more for our system. With Gary, Preston and Mercilus ahead of him plus Gileai to fight for snaps with, we can afford him time to develop, and the athleticism could also help on special teams in the short term.

3 (92): CB Marcus Jones, Houston – 5’8, 174 lbs
Former Enterprise star Marcus Jones a Paul Hornung finalist | Local |  dothaneagle.com
A potential successor and upgrade in the long-term to Sullivan in the slot, and probably the best returner in this entire draft class for our woeful, pitiful, awful, just awful special teams unit. A surprisingly good tackler who plays above his size, though all the same we would want to see some bulk added to that frame. Excellent feet and speed to keep up with just about anyone though, and should immediately make an impact for kickoffs and punts.

4 (132): TE Jeremy Ruckert, Ohio State – 6’5, 250 lbs
2021 Big Ten football media days: Jeremy Ruckert replaces Chris Olave
A big body at 6’5, 250lbs at just 21 years of age, he does not have blazing speed nor he is a YAC-monster, but is respectable in that regard and plays with quite a bit of ‘pop’ to him as well as having the ability to come up with some phenomenal catches and plenty of touchdowns. Has the exact right ‘all-in’ mindset for blocking, and looks for them down the field wherever possible. He’s not the finished article and has some work to do both in the passing and blocking technique, but could be a very tidy, rounded player in the league.

4 (140): C Luke Fortner, Kentucky – 6’6, 300 lbs
Luke Fortner Senior Bowl Highlights and NFL Draft Ranking - YouTube
Another very large center, at 6’6 and 300 lbs Fortner has also played guard at college (and tackle in high school), which again can help with versatility and may see him take over Lucas Patrick’s ‘long-term versatile interior guy’ role. Very intelligent on and off the field (working towards finishing two masters degrees – business admin and mechanical engineering). Much like Patrick, he could use a little more strength and aggression, though as a rookie those can be trained up. Apparently an excellent leader, and seems as if he would fit in with our group like a glove.

7 (228😞 CB Mario Goodrich, Clemson - 6'0, 190 lbs
Cornerback Mario Goodrich of the Clemson Tigers reacts after a 4th... News  Photo - Getty Images
Again, a very intelligent player and person (3.46GPA). Plays physical and has very good ball skills as a former WR on top of great tackling, but his 4.53 time in the 40 will likely see him drop down. Despite this, he plays faster than that would suggest (though you wouldn’t want him on the Tyreek Hill’s of the world) and could still develop to his strengths like Richard Sherman (4.56)/Josh Norman(4.66) who this also happened with. Blossomed late but in style, getting a first team all-ACC slot.

7 (258😞 ILB Jeremiah Moon, Florida – 6’6, 250 lbs
Jeremiah Moon (@jmoonvii) / Twitter
Could develop into a good option for covering tight ends, while also helping in special teams with decent speed for his size along with being a high effort kind of guy. Might also be worth taking a look at how he may convert to EDGE if ILB isn’t working out, but an interesting project either way.

Roster:

QB: Rodgers, Love
RB: Jones, Dillon, Patrick Taylor
TE: Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara, Jeremy Ruckert
WR: Brandin Cooks, MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Amari Rogers, Chris Olave
OL: Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Runyan, Meyers, Dennis Kelly, Nijman, Kenyon Green, Luke Fortner

DL: Kenny, Calais Campbell, Lowry, Slaton, Heflin, Jordan Davis
EDGE: Rashan, Preston, Mercilus, Gileai, Drake Jackson
ILB: DeVondre, Barnes, [vet min, experienced guy], McDuffie/Jeremiah Moon
S: Amos, Savage, Henry Black, Vernon Scott
CB: Jaire, Stokes, R. Douglas, Ch. Sullivan, Jean-Charles, Marcus Jones, Mario Goodrich

K: Crosby/Eberle/new guy
P: O'Donnell (still can't believe we got rid of Bojo)
LS: Steven Wirtel
Returner: Marcus Jones

Edited by Billy86
Drake Jackson is not 2 foot 3...

Think you're way over the cap here. Even with a Jaire extension that's iffy. Probably need to chose one of Campbell or Cooks, not both.

Draft wise, love the first round, gets ugly after that. Green isn't athletic enough to play OL here. Jackson is super raw and seems like he struggles to hold weight. No way in hell we draft a 5'8 CB. 

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A 14 million dollar cap hit for Brandin Cooks is tough to swallow. 

Really would like another pass rusher. 

I have a hard time with Davis, I just don't know if there's going to be any useable pass rush at that size. 

There's mass and there's acceleration, therefore there's going to be a tremendous amount of force. 

You're not going to get a snap jumper, but I don't see any reason there isn't a Haloti Ngata type there to be developed. Highly doubt we see him at 22, but that's an easy card to turn in if he is IMO. Planet Theory.

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's mass and there's acceleration, therefore there's going to be a tremendous amount of force. 

You're not going to get a snap jumper, but I don't see any reason there isn't a Haloti Ngata type there to be developed. Highly doubt we see him at 22, but that's an easy card to turn in if he is IMO. Planet Theory.

I get it man, I really do. I've probably spent more time on him than any other prospect. Every explosive metric that exists says he's going to be an absolute monster.

He's just such an outlier body type that I don't know if I trust it. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I get it man, I really do. I've probably spent more time on him than any other prospect. Every explosive metric that exists says he's going to be an absolute monster.

He's just such an outlier body type that I don't know if I trust it. 

He moved well even playing at 360+.  He's now 340 and said at his pro day that that's his ideal weight, and look what he did in testing.  A man that size shouldn't be able to move like that.  The talent and athleticism to develop a pass rush is absolutely there.  Trust it man, he's going to be an animal.

The real problem with Davis lies in the fact that there's no way in hell he makes it to 22.

• Like 2

The draft seems overly optimistic at this point.  I think it's 50/50 if Olave is on the board at 22, but I just don't think he's going to be on the board at 28.  Really don't think Davis is there at 22.  Think the Chargers are his floor.  Really don't see Kenyon Green sliding that late into the second round.  Think he goes off the board sometime early in the second round.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The draft seems overly optimistic at this point.  I think it's 50/50 if Olave is on the board at 22, but I just don't think he's going to be on the board at 28.  Really don't think Davis is there at 22.  Think the Chargers are his floor.  Really don't see Kenyon Green sliding that late into the second round.  Think he goes off the board sometime early in the second round.

It's absolutely overly optimistic early. 

I think that I'd critique it too for going way over the cap and optimism in the draft all the way through. Maybe one or two of those players fall to where you have them, but all is a total dream.

That said, it's a good dream with a super bowl caliber roster. If they can slip under the cap with Lowry and Jaire extensions (and a cooks restructure as soon as he comes in and before the other moves) and get this damn lucky in the draft then we should could this as a SB contender

1 hour ago, Gravedigger93 said:

Not only from a player perspective, but also trade-wise. 53 plus 249 will not get you anywhere near 40.

Green Bay is also throwing in a '23 3rd round pick.  Don't see Green Bay trading future picks.

13 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Think you're way over the cap here. Even with a Jaire extension that's iffy. Probably need to chose one of Campbell or Cooks, not both.

Draft wise, love the first round, gets ugly after that. Green isn't athletic enough to play OL here. Jackson is super raw and seems like he struggles to hold weight. No way in hell we draft a 5'8 CB. 

Yea, probably a no on Jones due to that height, but man the guy's electric...

Just now, MaximusGluteus said:

I think his value lies in his return abilities.  You could certainly use him as a 6th DB to cover the slot slot, but his value on PR and KR is what really sets him apart.

Right. If the Packers weren't such sticklers on those height requirements, I'd agree. It's the reason why I went with Velus Jones in my mock versus a guy like Marcus. Both dynamic return guys.