Draft Day - how it's all going to go down (3 rounds)

VegasDan

2 hours ago, R T said:

Interesting, Packers trade up in the 1st round for a player that probably isn't even on their board. Interesting angle. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

Because he is 5'11" and 180 pounds. That alone probably does it and then add in that his agility score is in the lower third of all WR's makes it little to no chance he is a Packer.  

43 minutes ago, R T said:

So, every player at Ohio State is now on the Packers big board because he was there? 

39 minutes ago, R T said:

Agree with that, but don't believe for a second that the Packers are spending that type of draft capital on a player that is not the perfect fit for MLF's system. They are not trading up in the 1st round for 180-pound WR's. 

4 posts with what I see as strong absolute statements 

30 minutes ago, R T said:

Chippy as always. No we all don't have are draft crushes, I stop thinking I knew more than the Packers decades ago. I simply try to understand what they are doing nothing more.  

We don't?  If you don't have a draft crush you must not be studying up on the players.  We all have draft crushes.  That's what it's all about.  Reading up on the players watching tape and being an arm chair GM.  Get all excited come draft day and then groan when the Packers make their pick.  Rinse and repeat...Then calmly read up on the players they selected and go huh?  Ok I get it.  We then go to the optimistic phase where every pick is going to be an all pro.  Then realize OK maybe 2-3 guys will be starters.  But which ones?  Well that's been how I've operated for like the last 20 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R T said:

So, every player at Ohio State is now on the Packers big board because he was there? 

All I'm saying is nobody here on this site has a clue what players are on any teams' draft boards.  It would be fun if we could have a peek, wouldn't it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

We don't?  If you don't have a draft crush you must not be studying up on the players.  We all have draft crushes.  That's what it's all about.  Reading up on the players watching tape and being an arm chair GM.  Get all excited come draft day and then groan when the Packers make their pick.  Rinse and repeat...Then calmly read up on the players they selected and go huh?  Ok I get it.  We then go to the optimistic phase where every pick is going to be an all pro.  Then realize OK maybe 2-3 guys will be starters.  But which ones?  Well that's been how I've operated for like the last 20 years. 

I review as many players as 98% of the fans out there, just zero need to have crushes. As I stated before simply trying to figure out what the Packers are doing, nothing else. You may not remember, but for several years I would do the big board on the Packers Chatters site and I thought I was pretty successful in narrowing down the Packers selections. The last draft we got to do there I believe was the 2018 draft and the board had 8 of the 11 picks. The misses were Alexander in the 1st, Madison in the 5th and ESB in the 6th. Alexander and Madison were outliers to me and ESB did not have complete workout numbers to go by. By having favorites in causes people to lose some objectivity of the big picture and is not productive to what I'm trying to do.  

5 minutes ago, R T said:

I review as many players as 98% of the fans out there, just zero need to have crushes. As I stated before simply trying to figure out what the Packers are doing, nothing else. You may not remember, but for several years I would do the big board on the Packers Chatters site and I thought I was pretty successful in narrowing down the Packers selections. The last draft we got to do there I believe was the 2018 draft and the board had 8 of the 11 picks. The misses were Alexander in the 1st, Madison in the 5th and ESB in the 6th. Alexander and Madison were outliers to me and ESB did not have complete workout numbers to go by. By having favorites in causes people to lose some objectivity of the big picture and is not productive to what I'm trying to do.  

Well do another one.  I remember you had groups of players the Packers might select.  It was fun.  

34 minutes ago, Norm said:

He might be right but talking in absolutes in the draft always seems to hang ya at some point

You are correct, there is always an exception to the rule somewhere along the line. 

43 minutes ago, R T said:

And that's fine.  But I'm saying I'd be hesitant to throw out the bathwater on a very small sample size.  Right now, Gute has selected 4 WRs in the draft since he became GM.  He took J'Mon Moore, MVS, and ESB in 2018.  And Amari Rodgers in 2021.  The three he selected in 2018 were all considered HWS specimens, yet Amari Rodgers was the exact opposite of that.  If you're going to use Moore/MVS/ESB as your standard, you would have completely whiffed on the Rodgers' selection.  That's why I think you're looking more at a general range rather then a hard rule.   I'd argue that Olave/Wilson fit within the range, but since they're not 210+ pounds you think they're off the board.

2 hours ago, VegasDan said:

Michael Thomas will be on the wrong side of 30 and didn't play last year due to an i jury. Smith and calloway - not sure I have that much confidence. In them.

Philly has devonte. Reagor looked like he didn't belong. Maybe he will come around and maybe you wait. But I think they want an impact WR to take pressure from Devonte.

LAC - you have a point there. Keenan is 30 and I thought Williams was older. 

Michael Thomas was an elite WR prior to his injury, and now he should be healthy.  They just re-signed Smith, so they do like him and Callaway played a lot for them, and I thought he was okay.  That roster has a lot more holes in it than just the WR position.  In other words, they are no where near as barren in that WR room as say a team like GB.

Philly invested two first round picks in the last two drafts on the WR position with Smith and Reagor.  I highly doubt they do it again.

LAC...yah, that was the very super easy one.

50 minutes ago, R T said:

I think TT was easier to predict than Gute. As you said, I thought Alexander was a great player, but didn't have him on my mocks because of his height and injury history. The 2 reasons he was available to us in the first place. 

And I can't see how you can't watch Wilson and not be impressed and imagine what he could do with Rodgers as his QB. Tall and big target is one way to get a reception. Smart, quick and elusive is another way.  Because there are so many good WRs in the draft, he becomes available later as teams realize they can pick one up later. So many edges and OTs (more premium positions) may also slide this very talented player enough to allow us to trade up for.  

We're at the point of the offseason where every mock draft makes the forum rabid. Love it.

I mostly skimmed the debate but my opinion is with Cwoods, where there seems to be little value trading up for any WR.  Too deep of a class.

I think this is compounded by the fact that Wilson profiles as a slot, and while if he is the BPA at 22 I think we still take him - Cobb and Rodgers aren't going to stop me from getting someone I think could be special - I imagine the team sees the total dearth of outside receivers as a higher priority to rectify.

2 hours ago, R T said:

I think, yeah.  Probably. Where they are is the big question mark.

Just reminiscing here...Wolf went to a Badgers Pro Day in 2000.  Dayne and McIntosh were the two big names.

But Wolf say this big kid playing hackee-sack.  Loved his feet, drafted him in the 7'th round.   Tausch went on to start over 130 games and be a mainstay on a very good offensive line.

You never know what you will find at a pro day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

I think TT was easier to predict than Gute. As you said, I thought Alexander was a great player, but didn't have him on my mocks because of his height and injury history. The 2 reasons he was available to us in the first place. 

And I can't see how you can't watch Wilson and not be impressed and imagine what he could do with Rodgers as his QB. Tall and big target is one way to get a reception. Smart, quick and elusive is another way.  Because there are so many good WRs in the draft, he becomes available later as teams realize they can pick one up later. So many edges and OTs (more premium positions) may also slide this very talented player enough to allow us to trade up for.  

Answer me this concerning Wilson.  Mind you, I want to be sold on him.  I don't know him outside of his highlight reels on YouTube.

What does he bring to the table that other guys like him don't have (and haven't succeeded yet).  Talking about the Paris Campbell's of the world.  Phillip Dorsett.. .Devin Smith...etc.

When I watch Wilson, the word "smooth" does not come to mind.  He isn't crisp.  I see straight line speed.  Not a great route runner.  I just see speed and acceleration.

So what makes him more likely to "hit" than Campbell, Doresett or Smith?   

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think, yeah.  Probably. Where they are is the big question mark.

Just reminiscing here...Wolf went to a Badgers Pro Day in 2000.  Dayne and McIntosh were the two big names.

But Wolf say this big kid playing hackee-sack.  Loved his feet, drafted him in the 7'th round.   Tausch went on to start over 130 games and be a mainstay on a very good offensive line.

You never know what you will find at a pro day.

Yah Vegas always thought that would be a great training tool to increase foot speed.  Used to be a Hack god back in my college days.  Everything starts with the feet. 

Edited by Scoremore