Rams sign MLB Bobby Wagner (5 years, $50M)

AFlaccoSeagulls

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:

I'm not sure they are the best team in their division or their city so yeah, good luck on running it back.

They might even be the favorite, but favorite in the NFL means what? 10% chance?

Either would be pretty shocking to me.

But agreed it's very unlikely we run it back.

3 hours ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

They don’t even have draft picks to be excellent at drafting.

They don't have 1st rounders, but they still have plenty of picks overall.

They have 8 picks this year. They had 9 picks last year. They had 9 picks 2 years ago. They had 8 picks 3 years ago. They had 11 picks 4 years ago.

So...yes, they do have draft picks and they've done very well overall in getting value out of them.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jimmy G smacked you boys a few times.

Check stats. Check Jimmy stats once again. Checks one more time to verify. 
sorry g no smacking was done with those putrid numbers. 

But they’re better than this guys. 

Derek Carr has a passer rating of 56.7 with 476 yards and 5 interceptions in 2 games versus the Rams in his career.

14 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Seemed like he could have really been a nice fit with Baltimore. 

Irked that he's still in the division and now on a better team. 

He would've been a great fit here.

But ultimately he's from the west coast, the Rams offered more, they just won the SB and primed to make another deep run, and he gets to face Seattle twice a year.

I don't think it really is that hard of a choice.

• Like 2

Really wanted this signing as the inside linebacker position was a point of irritation until Ernest Jones flashed when he became the starter. I really think this move makes us a lot stronger defensively, despite losing Von Miller. The Rams were top 3 in pass rush prior to Von Miller came in, who obviously made it better, but this makes a weakness a strength, plus it adds an extremely intelligent player to the linebacking core who will be able to call plays and coach those around him. 

Any decent edge rusher can produce next to Aaron Donald, history proves exactly that, plus we were able to pick Darious Williams off the street and coach him into a competent starter. Where we don't have a set-in-stone starter on the defense now is in positions where we can compliment them and have history of coaching up mid-late round draft picks and cheap free agents. Same with the offensive line.

Impossible to know where the 22 Rams are against the team that won the Super Bowl, but they've made smart moves. An experienced professional team, surrounded by an outstanding coaching staff. It's hard to run it back, but every team can expect a difficult game despite arguably the toughest schedule in football in 2022. I believe it was, by some distance, based on 2021 results anyway, nevermind with the AFC West improving as they have. A lot of very good games coming up! 

1 minute ago, FrantikRam said:

I'm like 97% sure this signing was for the Niners

It was. I was just listening to the podcast with Rich and Jourdan and Jourdan said Wagner is for the matchup with Deebo. What the Niners did well against the Rams, Wagner is the right player to counter it. That alone is worth getting Wagner. 

When will people stop being shocked the Rams are able to afford all these players? 

The Rams do a great job at structuring their contracts and managing their cap. They are still one of the youngest teams in the league and alot of their players on the roster are mid to late round picks so they are practically paying them nothing still on their rookie deals. Thus they have the money to go pay for a Ramsey, AD, Robinson, Wagner, Stafford, and Kupp. They are in the process of giving AD an extension and same with Kupp. Both deserve more money too. 

Then I hear people say eventually the Rams bills will come due. Well if the Rams continue to draft well and develop their players like a Fuller, Rapp, Scott, Jones, Howard, Noteboom, Allen etc.. and they have their core players in place like Stafford, Kupp, Donald, Ramsey, and now Wagner then it dont matter if they lose players like Whitworth, Von, SJD, Williams, Woods, etc... The Rams arent unfamiliar with losing players. They lost Johnson, JJIII, Jenkins, NRC, Hill, Fowler Jr., Suh, Talib, Peters, Watkins, Sullivan, Blythe, Brockers, Gurley, Cooks, Goff, Zeurlein, and some others. The Rams havent missed a beat. Not to mention all the coaches the Rams had to replace from Wade Phillips, Aaron Kromer, LaFleur, Taylor, Fassell, O'Connell, Staley, they lost Coen to Kentucky before bringing him back. Again the Rams havent missed a beat. 

We just have to get come to terms with the Rams being a well run franchise that as long as they have the owner in Kroenke that is willing to spend, Les the GM, and McVay the head coach that they will not completely fall off. Not saying they wont have a down year by their standards but whats a down year for the Rams? Possibly (10-7) either barely getting the 7th seed or barely miss out of the 7th seed depending on how the NFC shapes out in future years. A typical year for the Rams is making the playoffs and winning a game or two in the playoffs. We expect Superbowls though and right now the Rams are the defending champs and looking to get back to the Superbowl and repeat. We shall see but I love what they are doing this offseason to position themselves for a repeat. 

Edited by stl4life07
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He would've been a great fit here.

But ultimately he's from the west coast, the Rams offered more, they just won the SB and primed to make another deep run, and he gets to face Seattle twice a year.

I don't think it really is that hard of a choice.

My thoughts exactly. Only way he wasn't going to end up a Ram IMO was if the money was to lopsided the other way. LAR not offering but so much.

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

My thoughts exactly. Only way he wasn't going to end up a Ram IMO was if the money was to lopsided the other way. LAR not offering but so much.

I think he wanted to stay on the westcoast to be at home in LA and closer to his family which is still in Seattle. The Ravens did make a strong push for him and he probably wouldve signed last night but he slept on it and woke up with his mind set on coming to the Rams. It happens sometimes. I thought the Rams were dead set on bringing back Von until the Bills gave him an offer he just couldnt turn down. Thats how free agency works. Wagner wouldve been great for the Ravens and I think he is great for the Rams. We need him for teams like the Niners. I also think he would be a nice matchup against tight ends too like Kittle and Kelce both the Rams have to face this upcoming season. Im just happy we got him lol. 

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

meh

People been saying for years our window is closed or you can't build a team like that and many other things.

I never said the Rams wouldn't be good or a contender still, lol. Just that you didn't win the offseason when you lost a ton of key players and just made two significant free agent additions. I know that you guys will still be very good next year.