Rams sign MLB Bobby Wagner (5 years, $50M)

AFlaccoSeagulls

3 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I think the majority of his value at this point comes in the intangibles. He's an excellent leader of men. He knows how to get his teammates in position. He has a championship pedigree. He's of course very familiar with his division opponents, which I imagine added another wrinkle of value for the Rams. 

But the Rams definitely aren't getting an All-Pro LB, or anything close to it, as far as his individual play is concerned. The sting of him landing in LA is more ceremonial than anything. He's no longer a sideline-to-sideline guy. He's not going to disrupt plays in the backfield. He's not going to shed blockers the way he once did. It was becoming a growing point of frustration for any fan that was actually watching the decline of his abilities and their impact on our defense, and obviously a huge reason why we were comfortable passing the torch to Jordyn Brooks. 

2nd team all pro isn't "anything close to it"?

You also have to look at who he will be replacing. Anyone who watched the Rams play the Niners the past few years knows how drastic of an upgrade this is.

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

2 starting OL, 2 starting WR, their #2 CB. Yeah they didn't lose anyone, lol.

Rams lost Whitworth but replaced him with Noteboom in which they drafted and groomed to be Whitworth replacement. Noteboom has played snaps and when he started games bc Whitworth was hurt 3x the last few years and the game Havenstien missed due to Covid last season each time Noteboom played great.

Losing Corbett as well but I think the Rams feel comfortable with who they have in house to replace him or maybe they draft someone. Who knows. I feel like we go through this every year. Rams lose Sullivan or Saffold or Blythe and all the talk is the Rams NEED to draft someone or sign someone in FA. Yet they just stay put and trust what they have already in house and everything works out fine.

The Rams didnt lose two starting receivers. They lost one. Woods was traded. Last time I checked, OBJ hasnt signed with anyone and the Rams have strongly made it clear they want to bring him back. Yes they still have the funds allocated just for OBJ. 

Then yes the Rams lost Williams their cornerback but thats why the Rams drafted David Long a few years ago and Robert Rochelle last year. The Rams always think ahead. They knew they probably wasnt going to keep Williams so they drafted and developed these guys for one of them to take Williams place moving forward. Thats what great organizations do. So when I look at what the Rams "lost" I dont truly consider it a lost just bc its not like the Rams are left scrambling to find replacements. They have already planned for the possibility of losing Williams and Whitworth retiring and trading Woods bc they did draft Jefferson years ago and many Rams fans said that was a sign Woods wont be back in the future. Now that wasnt the case. It was Robinson signing that made Woods available. Plus the thought of still wanting to bring OBJ back too. 

So my point is the Rams did technically lose players but they planned for this and now its seeing if Noteboom and Robinson and Long/Rochelle and whomever is replacing Corbett at guard is equal too if not better than what they had. Only time will tell but I trust in the coaches so I would love the odds of those guys being at least equal too what the Rams lost being great. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

2 starting OL, 2 starting WR, their #2 CB. Yeah they didn't lose anyone, lol.

We already had an in-house replacement for one of the OLs. The two "starting" WRs played the same position and were replaced by arguably a better WR. And yes, Williams is a loss. But we drafted a replacement last year in Rochell. There will be some drop-off from Whitworth to Noteboom. Corbett is a decent-sized loss. And Von is good-sized loss at this time. As I said, you're exaggerating what we're losing.

• Like 1

Best of luck to Wagner. Guy is still an elite MLB. He's always been great in coverage and he can stop the run at a high clip. Rams have a great defensive line, which will help Wagner a ton. Wouldn't be surprised if Wagner is first team all pro.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, showtime said:

Best of luck to Wagner. Guy is still an elite MLB. He's always been great in coverage and he can stop the run at a high clip. Rams have a great defensive line, which will help Wagner a ton. Wouldn't be surprised if Wagner is first team all pro.

Wagner is a player that has always been fun to watch unless he is playing Pittsburgh then it's just infuriating lol. He hits hard and he is smart as hell. 

Agreed with most. While Wagner is past his prime, this is a great scheme where he doesn't need to anchor the defense and put it on his back. Much like Weddle in the playoffs, his best contribution will be QB-ing the defense and making sure its fundamentally sound with players (including the late rounder spot starters) are in the right position. He should also help shore up a leaky run defense with Day gone.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

The people who run in here and say "how can they keep affording these guys!?" won't come back to see the actual contract details. 

This is far more in line with what Bobby deserves to be paid right now. I think it says a lot that an All-Pro MLB on the open market who doesn't count against compensatory picks was only able to fetch this as his best offer.  

Regardless, good get for the Rams. The Seahawks being so bad will make it easier for me to root for Bobby. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

The people who run in here and say "how can they keep affording these guys!?" won't come back to see the actual contract details. 

This is far more in line with what Bobby deserves to be paid right now. I think it says a lot that an All-Pro MLB on the open market who doesn't count against compensatory picks was only able to fetch this as his best offer.  

Regardless, good get for the Rams. The Seahawks being so bad will make it easier for me to root for Bobby. 

Yeah it seems a pretty reasonable deal.

The roster bonus for 2023 guarantees with certain performance numbers and allows him to opt out after 1 year so it could be a 1 year deal for cheap or like the above says 3 for $28.5 million. I'll take him for three years at $9.5 m per.

• Like 1

Hey seahawk fans. Is he still fast? We haven’t had a damm good LB since Will Witherspoon. I’ll say James Laurinaitis but he was B-C grade at best, really good at covering TEs though but he was slow at… 

If you don’t like Will then I guess Pisa will do! And I you didn’t like him then London Fletcher. But Will Witherspoon was a got dam animal when healthy! Dude was a stud and a play maker.