Draft

Current Picks:

Round 1: 22 and 28

Round 2: 53 and 59

Round 3: 92

Round 4: 132 and 140

Round 5: 171

Round 7: 228, 249 and 258

First Round Picks 1-21 --> Four of the "top 5" WRs all come off the board (London, Olave, Wilson and Williams) and the Packers, despite making some calls, don't move up to get London or Olave. 

Round 1 (Pick 22) --> Treylon Burks - WR (Ark) - 6'2", 225 lbs

2022 NFL draft: Treylon Burks scouting report

I still think there's a very good chance that one of the proverbial "top 5" WRs will be on the board by 22 and I think it very well could be Burks because despite what he shows on the field, his combine numbers will likely push him down "a bit." That could be the Packers' gain as Burks will no doubt be the mold of WR that MLF would love to add to the room. Plays faster on the field and doesn't seem to ever be caught from behind. Should be a piece that can line up all over in our offense. 

Round 1 (Pick 28) --> Travis Jones - DT (UConn) - 6'4", 325 lbs

2022 NFL Draft Ravens Player Profile: UConn DT Travis Jones - Baltimore  Sports and Life

While I think the Packers will consider a guy like Daxton Hill here if he's available, safety is a deeper position in the draft so the Packers shouldn't pass up the chance to land a big guy. Jones is one of my favorite players in the draft. I think he'll be a better player than Jordan Davis who gets most of the hype because of his size and combine numbers, but Jones was the better player in college. He can do it all. He's an absolute force against the run and is long enough to play at DE or NT to give Clark the ability to slide outside. But Jones isn't just a run plug. He can get after the QB. He's not going to give you Chris Jones/Aaron Donald sack numbers inside, but he can give you Kenny Clark sack numbers/pressures. Watch his tape against Clemson. He has extremely powerful hands and a wicked punch. Put it this way -- if Jones played for a bigger program like OSU, Bama, Georgia, etc., I think you'd be talking about him going higher. Even with the addition of Reed on our DL, Jones is too good to pass up. 

Round 2 (Pick 53) --> Jaquan Brisker - S/Slot (PSU) - 6'1", 199 lbs

Penn State safety Jaquan Brisker declares for 2022 NFL draft

Packers don't pull the trigger on Hill in the first round, but they get another top swiss-army knife DB in Brisker. Brisker is versatile and play multiple positions on the field and can immediately fill that No. 3 safety spot. Has the demeanor to play in the box as well. 

Round 2 (Pick 59) --> Alec Pierce - WR (Cinci) - 6'3", 211 lbs

Packers film room: Why Cincinnati WR Alec Pierce is great fit in 2022 NFL  draft

Let's be real, the Packers are going to love Pierce and I think he's one of the Tier 2 WRs who would be a "reach" in the first round. There's a chance he doesn't last until pick 59 but the predictions on him are all over the map depending who you ask. Pierce isn't as polished IMO as the Tier 1 guys, but he's big and can run and has enough savvy in this route running that I think he could have a chance at contributing early. A good compliment to the Burks addition for the WR room.

Round 3 (Pick 92) --> Josh Paschal - EDGE (UK) - 6'3", 268 lbs

Josh Paschal, Kentucky, Defensive Line

I think the Packers are really going to like Paschal. Apparently, he's a VERY high character guy, which obviously the Packers will love, and he's a fully developed EDGE player who's ready to play right now. Probably not going to grow into a star, but he's everything you're looking for in a No. 3 EDGE player. Stout on the edge and against the run, but enough juice (RAS 9.47) to rush off the edge. Also has experience lining up inside as well and has the strength to do it. 

Round 4 (Pick 132) -  Jeremy Ruckert - TE (OSU) - 6'5", 250 lbs

Third-Year Reset: Jeremy Ruckert Offers Potential for Rare Receiving  Production for Ohio State Tight End | Eleven Warriors

I think the beginning of Day 3 is when the Packers look at addressing TE and there could be other options like Kolar and Bellinger who interest us, but I think Ruckert could be there due to the ongoing foot injury he's been dealing with. Assuming there's no long term issue which would take him off our board, he's a natural fit in GB and could develop for a year behind Tonyan/Lewis and be eased into the lineup. 

Round 4 (Pick 140) - Luke Fortner - OG/OC (UK) - 6'4", 307 lbs

NFL Draft: Diamond in the rough mid-round prospects for New York Giants -  Page 3

Fortner is my Round 4 version of Cole Strange, who unfortunately, I think is going to be gone on Day 2 due to his rising stock. Fortner is an immediate replacement on the interior for the loss of Lucas Patrick. Played C last year for UK but played OG before that. Isn't a world class athlete and would be our lost "RAS" guy of the draft so far, but the guy is just a steady, smart player who could compete with Newman for the RG spot, or at worst, be the new Patrick to backup all 3 interior positions, which is vital piece to have on the bench. 

Round 5 (Pick 171) - Jeremiah Moon - LB/EDGE (Fla.) - 6'4", 249 lbs

Jeremiah Moon the latest Gator singled out by Senior Bowl director

Moon is an interesting prospect who is built like an EDGE player and played some EDGE in college but was actually better once Florida moved him inside. Good athlete with range who could be a versatile LB in Barry's system and provide some depth behind Campbell/Barnes. 

Round 7 (Pick 228) - Jaylen Watson - CB (WSU) - 6'2", 197 lbs

Jaylen Watson, Washington State, Cornerback

Big, long CB with good athletic testing (RAS 9.82). Developmental player who could stick on the back-end of the CB room and STs. 

Round 7 (Pick 249) - Ryan Van Demark - OT (UConn) - 6'6", 305 lbs

Houston Cougars defensive lineman Derek Parish and UConn Huskies... News  Photo - Getty Images

For the second time, the Packers double dip in the same program and grab an OT prospect. Van Demark is a work in progress (hence his draft position) but had a good Shrine Bowl and has the athletic numbers the Packers covet at the position. Wasn't invited to the combine but his Pro Day numbers included 24 reps, a 30.5 vert (would have tied for 2nd best among OTs), and 9'5" broad (also would have been 2nd best at the combine). 

Round 7 (Pick 258) - Cal Adomitis - LS (Pitt) 

Cal Adomitis (@CalAdomitis) / Twitter

We need a new LS. 

Post Draft Moves: 

To fill in any remaining roster holes after the draft, I would expect the Packers to pursue the following: 

1. Resign Dennis Kelly - Packers didn't go high in draft at OT. Kelly is a natural stop-gap who competes with Nijman for the RT spot until Jenkins comes back.
  2. Think about resigning the following players:
    1. Mercilus - not a dire need because we drafted Paschal, but just depends on how they feel about Garvin as the No. 4 guy. 
    2. King - do the Packers want King back as a No. 4 guy and would King accept that role?
  3. Consider adding a veteran WR on an incentive-laden deal. Packers may not want to rest on 2 rookies being the saviors at WR along with Lazard so adding a mid-range vet may still be in play after the draft. Top candidates would likely be: Will Fuller (speed element and should be cheap given his recent injury history) or OBJ (knowing he won't be playing until the second half of the season but should be pretty cheap because of that reason). 

• Like 8

I believe you have a really good chance of being right about Pick #22, Treylon Burks. I'm afraid there will be strong interest in the Ohio State receivers and the "top five" early in the first round. For me, it is hard not to see a bigger version of Sterling Sharpe when viewing Burks in action. No, he's not a take-the-top-off the coverage by going deep all the time guy, but the short to medium stuff that Sharpe excelled at should be his meat and potatoes in the NFL. Burks also has the size to survive a full season of hits and the power to make the tough catches as well as push defensive backs all over the field in blocking situations.  And it's not like there aren't speedy wideouts available later on in the draft. While Burks may not be perfect, he could bring some nice value.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Post Draft Moves: 

To fill in any remaining roster holes after the draft, I would expect the Packers to pursue the following: 

1. Resign Dennis Kelly - Packers didn't go high in draft at OT. Kelly is a natural stop-gap who competes with Nijman for the RT spot until Jenkins comes back.
  2. Think about resigning the following players:
    1. Mercilus - not a dire need because we drafted Paschal, but just depends on how they feel about Garvin as the No. 4 guy. 
    2. King - do the Packers want King back as a No. 4 guy and would King accept that role?
  3. Consider adding a veteran WR on an incentive-laden deal. Packers may not want to rest on 2 rookies being the saviors at WR along with Lazard so adding a mid-range vet may still be in play after the draft. Top candidates would likely be: Will Fuller (speed element and should be cheap given his recent injury history) or OBJ (knowing he won't be playing until the second half of the season but should be pretty cheap because of that reason). 

I like the draft.  I was kind of hoping for an OT earlier, but Van Demark seems to check all the boxes for what we look for, and I don't really know what I would remove otherwise.  I don't know anything about Brisker.  I do think the idea of Hill was to get a 3rd safety this year and then let Savage walk as a FA, while having a capable replacement.  Can Brisker do that?

Kelly makes sense.  He was alright, and inexpensive.  In my ideal world, Yosh is ready and mans that position.  Kelly is probably still a good back-up to have.

After this draft, I don't think we need Mercilus.  I really am the Garvin guy on the board, but he is still just 22, and looks good when he gets it.  Let the kid grow.

King, I just don't know.  We have our top 3.  Jean Charles seems like a slot guy in the mold of Sullivan.  You drafted a guy with a similar athletic profile to King.  I think King is an average CB.  And that comes with all the highs and lows that an average CB brings.  The biggest issue that I have with him is that he will miss at least 4 games due to injury every single season.  Let's just let the reserve CBs be young.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like the draft.  I was kind of hoping for an OT earlier, but Van Demark seems to check all the boxes for what we look for, and I don't really know what I would remove otherwise.  I don't know anything about Brisker.  I do think the idea of Hill was to get a 3rd safety this year and then let Savage walk as a FA, while having a capable replacement.  Can Brisker do that?

Kelly makes sense.  He was alright, and inexpensive.  In my ideal world, Yosh is ready and mans that position.  Kelly is probably still a good back-up to have.

After this draft, I don't think we need Mercilus.  I really am the Garvin guy on the board, but he is still just 22, and looks good when he gets it.  Let the kid grow.

King, I just don't know.  We have our top 3.  Jean Charles seems like a slot guy in the mold of Sullivan.  You drafted a guy with a similar athletic profile to King.  I think King is an average CB.  And that comes with all the highs and lows that an average CB brings.  The biggest issue that I have with him is that he will miss at least 4 games due to injury every single season.  Let's just let the reserve CBs be young.

Brisker is similar to Hill in a lot of ways. I basically consider Brisker the second round version of Hill. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Leader said:

Somehow turn that WR2 position pick into Pickens and you're gold.

Burks & Pickens? I could die a happy man :)

I'd go for Pickens in that spot as well. He's another guy who's all over the map and could go anywhere between our second 1st rounder and our second 2nd round pick. I could easily see Pickens go off the board in the first 5-10 picks of Day 2, kind of what happened with Pittman and Higgins in 2020. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd go for Pickens in that spot as well. He's another guy who's all over the map and could go anywhere between our second 1st rounder and our second 2nd round pick. I could easily see Pickens go off the board in the first 5-10 picks of Day 2, kind of what happened with Pittman and Higgins in 2020. 

Right.....I dont think he's gonna last that long.....so figure it out LOL
I mean, Pierce is a good WR / fall back... he's got the tools.....but do I really have to be prudent and rational about everything?

Get Pickens on the field with Burks and Lazard can do all the blocking he wants LOL