Raiders extend QB Derek Carr 3 years 121.5 Million

agarcia34

3 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yeah I mean, we literally know nothing about the contract details now. 

Saying the final year is always the most expensive, is also spouting non-sense. 
Saying sportrac is the most reliable when you use it, but wrong when i use it, is also spouting non-sense. 

Until we see the contract, there isnt too much to whine about. 
The apparent 25mil guarantee should make everyone happy IMO

People saying this is 35M is literally non-sense though. Like 95% of contracts, his 2022 year will likely go completely untouched. The current contract almost never becomes part of the new deal. That means all of the 121M is 2023, 2024, and 2025. Meaning the average cap hit will be 40.2M. And working around Adams contract, those cap hits will probably be about 37.5M in 2023, 42M in 2024, and 42.5M in 2025. Those cap hits in 2024, and 2025 will be quite high. 

We won’t know until we see the contract, but going off past history of most other contracts, this is likely how it ends up. And everyone saying 35M year has no idea what they are talking about. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

People saying this is 35M is literally non-sense though. Like 95% of contracts, his 2022 year will likely go completely untouched. The current contract almost never becomes part of the new deal. That means all of the 121M is 2023, 2024, and 2025. Meaning the average cap hit will be 40.2M. And working around Adams contract, those cap hits will probably be about 37.5M in 2023, 42M in 2024, and 42.5M in 2025. Those cap hits in 2024, and 2025 will be quite high. 

We won’t know until we see the contract, but going off past history of most other contracts, this is likely how it ends up. And everyone saying 35M year has no idea what they are talking about. 

We will see! and can discuss more once more details come out! 
For now, I am hoping for the best, and he doesnt hit 40mil in a season, but could easily be wrong. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

If they changed his 2022 salary because of the extension then yes, 2022 becomes part of the extension. 
Sporttrac, literally showed Carr at 19.87 for 2022 which you just said was always 25, but now they are the most reliable?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/salaries/breakdown/quarterback/

"Carr was due to make $21 million in 2022, the last year of his contract. He’ll now make $24.9 million, fully guaranteed. Another $40.4 million is guaranteed for injury until the third day of the 2023 waiver period." 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/13/derek-carr-gets-only-24-9-million-fully-guaranteed-at-signing/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This is precisely where I'm at as well. 

I just hope we have some in the bank to sign Waller and Renfrow when the time comes. Carr also needs OL help but the way things are going, I am lead to believe that will be the main focal point of our first pick come Friday night.

Read on Twitter that this should open up some cap space for sure.  I saw DC said he wanted to make sure there was cap leftover to sign his guys (probably referring to Renfrow, Waller).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, true2form said:

"Carr was due to make $21 million in 2022, the last year of his contract. He’ll now make $24.9 million, fully guaranteed. Another $40.4 million is guaranteed for injury until the third day of the 2023 waiver period." 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/13/derek-carr-gets-only-24-9-million-fully-guaranteed-at-signing/

this would be pretty great for us i think. 100mil total for next 3 seasons, then 41 mil for the final would be pretty amazng

The three-year contract extension signed in 2022 will see Carr add another $120.5 million over those three seasons. Including the final year of the previous extension, Carr is set to earn $141.3 million over the life of the four-year deal, with $100 million of that coming in the next three years, per Mike Garafolo.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/derek-carr-contract-details-salary-bonuses/

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You can try to poop on my party all you want but 140 divided by 4 = 35.  I'm going to keep drinking this delicious Kool-Aid.  

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Read on Twitter that this should open up some cap space for sure.  I saw DC said he wanted to make sure there was cap leftover to sign his guys (probably referring to Renfrow, Waller).

They could get creative and give him 22+ million of his salary as a signing bonus and the 1-2 million extra as his salary freeing up that money for cap this year.  Have to see how they structured it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I don't know why everyone has this myth in their head that a 27 year old 4.8 slot WR is getting $20M+ lol

I don't think anyone believes he is getting 20+ per season.  I think we all know he is worth about 12-15M per season easily.  Dude produces, dude is clutch, has more nicknames under his belt than most teams in the NFL.  A 48 year old, 4.6 40 yard dash, destroyer of 3rd downs.  The Chargers will have to relive that tackle by Renfrow on that punting play for the next 10 years at least.  I'm looking forward to Renfrow being enshrined in the hall of very good, because he is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jerry said:

You can try to poop on my party all you want but 140 divided by 4 = 35.  I'm going to keep drinking this delicious Kool-Aid.  

Your factoring in his 2022 salary which literally has nothing to do with the extension. Just spreading misinformation. The extension is 3 years 121M 2023, 2024, and 2025 which is a average cap hit of 40.2M for that extension. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, true2form said:

They could get creative and give him 22+ million of his salary as a signing bonus and the 1-2 million extra as his salary freeing up that money for cap this year.  Have to see how they structured it.

Saw that too.  Really hope we opened up enough space to sign Gilmore and Mathieu lol.

Just now, BayRaider said:

Your factoring in his 2022 salary which literally has nothing to do with the extension. Just spreading misinformation. The extension is 3 years 121M 2023, 2024, and 2025 which is a average cap hit of 40.2M for that extension. 

You call it misinformation I call it ignorance.  Ignorance is bliss.

4 years, 35M per.  Bliss...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

You call it misinformation I call it ignorance.  Ignorance is bliss.

4 years, 35M per.  Bliss...

So you’re admitting you’re wrong, cool. If you wanna live in ignorance, that’s 100% fine with me. I just wanted the correct information out there that this is not 35M per. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

So you’re admitting you’re wrong, cool. If you wanna live in ignorance, that’s 100% fine with me. I just wanted the correct information out there that this is not 35M per. 

Truthfully youre just arguing semantics .
Jerry is saying after this signing, the next 4 years Carr will make 140mil so 35m average per season the next 4 seasons. 
You are saying this contract has nothing to do with 22 - so after this season Carr will make 120 or 40m average for the next 3 seasons.

If you dont think this year is effected thats fine. 
But ive seen a ton of reports it will be. 

I dont think its fair to say anyone is wrong right now. 
We dont have the information available yet

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Well I mean he is technically under contract for 4 years with an overall of 140 million.  So technically for the next 4 years he is averaging 35 million per season.

But yeah the extension is 120M for 3 years.  Still happy with the contract.  Like I said before, by the time he's paid for these 4 years, there will be a QB getting a 60 million per season extension around that time.

• Like 2