Raiders extend QB Derek Carr 3 years 121.5 Million

agarcia34

Okay first $35 a year is not horrible so I agree there but is more than I wanted to but not by much.  Now here comes the criticism.  I read people say that the back end of his contract will be cheap when we get to it.  People said the same thing with his last one.  This is true but only if you allow him to play on it.  Same thing if you get upset and bloat years on the end of the contract.  No need to be happy or upset for either.  I am not going to say Carr is getting $35 a year because he is getting $40.  I will not average in the year we were getting a discount into years he is overpaid to make me feel better about.  If they structured it so that we got cap relief this year so we are paying him $45 million a year in 2023-25 I will be upset.  I hate teams that use the cap like a credit card.  People like to use NO as an example of how the cap is fake but eventually it comes back to bite you.  Remember NOs has 38 players signed next year, has almost zero flexibility, is paying $27 million to players no longer on the team, and is already $35 million over the cap.  2024 they have $53 million in space but almost all of that is going to be used to get under the in 2023 and draft picks.  They are 95% reliant on drafting for the next for years and it will probably take a few years to build the team back up while these high priced players are wasted on a bad team.  If you are smart about money and can draft well there in no reason why you should ever have to rebuild.  Maybe a year here and there to retool.  This along with good drafting is steps 1 and 2 in building a dynasty or at least a sustainable playoff team.

IN conclusion Carr has not shown yet that he is worth $40 million a year and I think we are making a mistake by not focusing on building the team from the inside out while being smart with the cap.  To many high paid players where one injury could impact them down stream.  Not a fan but hopefully it works out.

41 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am not going to say Carr is getting $35 a year because he is getting $40.  I will not average in the year we were getting a discount into years he is overpaid to make me feel better about.  If they structured it so that we got cap relief this year so we are paying him $45 million a year in 2023-25 I will be upset. 

I dont think the details have come out yet. But I agree the total money for next 4 years is fine. But depending on how they do it will say a lot. 
I doubt Carr ever gets 40 mil in a season though, so I disagree with the bold. 

In 2 years i bet 7 QBs will be at 40 a season

Carr has dealt with trade rumors every single year of his career except one. Makes sense that would be his one demand. I would put money that they restructured this year in the extension and the money is cap friendly and more in line with 35 a year,maybe less depending on up front bonus's

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Carr has dealt with trade rumors every single year of his career except one. Makes sense that would be his one demand. I would put money that they restructured this year in the extension and the money is cap friendly and more in line with 35 a year,maybe less depending on up front bonus's

It will be nice to finally get a chance to see how well he performs without the constant myriad of trade rumors swirling around him for once.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

It will be nice to finally get a chance to see how well he performs without the constant myriad of trade rumors swirling around him for once.

I think the upgrade in weaponry is in different stratosphere as opposed to him not hearing rumors as it pertains to his performance 

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

I dont think the details have come out yet. But I agree the total money for next 4 years is fine. But depending on how they do it will say a lot. 
I doubt Carr ever gets 40 mil in a season though, so I disagree with the bold. 

In 2 years i bet 7 QBs will be at 40 a season

Technically, 7 already are lol. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Technically, 7 already are lol. 

haha technically, technically i see 6 scheduled to make it in 2024 already, but yeah fair enough taht wasnt a very bold bet by me, but I hadnt looked at the numbers
https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2024/

I dont know why we wouldnt at least bump carr up to 25mil this upcoming season