Eagles extend DT Tim Jernigan for 4 years

Danger

I forgot to mention the above fact in which Howie was GM in name until 2012. Seriously.

2012 was his first year in charge and with final say. Until then, Reid had that role. Howie was GM in title, Reid was behind the curtains. 

If you dont believe me go into our forum and ask around. 

1 minute ago, BAConrad said:

Youre right.

My source:

• 2/28/09 - Traded CB Lito Sheppard and a 5th round pick in 2010 
(traded to Arizona who selected QB John Skelton) to the NY Jets 
for a 5th round draft pick in 2009 (TE Cornelius Ingram) and a 4th 
round draft pick in 2010 (traded to Seattle along with DE Chris 
Clemons for DE Darryl Tapp)

I misread this last part. My fault.

Anyway, the basic fact that we are talking about trades such as these are a testament to how good Roseman has been. 

That the worst things you could find that hes done were trading away aging corners who lasted one year on their new team, underperforming veterans like Clemons who overachieved elsewhere, and back up 30+ year old OL......THAT is my entire point here. I see nothing more than 1, maybe 2 trades involving players such as Chris Clemons and Dennis Kelly...

My point, which I think our disconnect is you (maybe a little overzealously) glazed over is that he has his bad trades (regardless of who or what was traded they weren't trades in which he won), he has a lot of trades that were ultimately neutral outcomes (no real benefit to the Eagles or to the team they traded with) which are numerous (Ernie Sims, Winston Justice, Stacy Andrews, the safety whose name escapes me that Roseman traded a conditional 5th that turned into a 6th for who lasted all of like 2 years on the team - there are more, those are just the ones off the top of my head), and he has some great trades he's pulled off.  And that's something that can be said about a number of other GM's in the league.

The major feather in Roseman's cap is the cap-management stuffs (which will be interesting to see how that is handled moving forward with the current roster) and pulling off the elusive successful trade-up to land a guy who actually turned out to be a franchise QB (which is now a club of 5 - unless we're also counting Jerry Reese for Eli - with Roseman, Les Snead, Jon Robinson, and Rick Smith).   And that 5 may become a 6th with the Veach/Reid combo if Mahomes comes good.

My whole major point being, the "making all the other GM's not named Belichick his female dog" comment was unnecessary and entirely too hyperbolic.

8 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Wait..2012 was still one of the last years in which Andy Reid still was de facto decision maker. Roseman wasnt given total autonomy until 2012. 

This is true, however if you think Andy was the one negotiating terms of trades, I'd suspect you sorely misunderstand the dynamics of how these front offices work.  Even Belichick isn't doing that stuff.  Sure, he has final thumbs up or down on a deal, but when it comes to unloading players it's commonly a case of "I don't want/need him, get me the best you can for him."  And when it comes to acquiring guys, unless the price is outlandish the coach/GM types aren't bothering themselves with quibbling on value.  The ultimate value of the trade is up to the negotiator, which even in his limited capacity from 2009-2012, it would be tough to argue that Roseman wasn't that.

Didn't Howie roseman sign off on hiring chip kelly...? I can't remember exactly how Chip got hired but I'd imagine the GM at the time would have a say in that. 

I could be horribly wrong on that because my memory is about as reliable as Eli in the first three quarters.

12 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Your point?

The Seahawks had that happen to them. And theyve been able to still stay competitive because of its blue chip, franchise players and QB. Just like the Eagles will once we have to cut ties with a few of those guys. Also, Curry will be gone after this season anyway. The core of our front is the starters: Graham-Cox-Jernigan-Barnett. All of whom will be on this team for the next 3+ years at least. 

As for the news about Jernigan....IM FRIGGIN STOKED. I praised this move all offseason and kept wondering out loud why nobody seemed to ever mention it when talking about offseason acquisitions.  Our DL is stacked, and Howie Roseman is continuing to make every other GM not named Bill Bellichick his B****

Curry won't be gone until after next season more than likely. Cutting him after this year saves us $5 Million for the cap. Cutting him the following season would save us $7.25 Million and then Barnett would have real experience.

7 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Didn't Howie roseman sign off on hiring chip kelly...? I can't remember exactly how Chip got hired but I'd imagine the GM at the time would have a say in that. 

I could be horribly wrong on that because my memory is about as reliable as Eli in the first three quarters.

Howie was apart of the process but we brought Chip in because of Lurie. Howie was quickly pushed out by Chip to the point where he was relegated to basically only handling contract negotiations. 

Chip was a bad coach, but he was the worst NFL GM I have ever seen in my life. 

13 hours ago, The LBC said:

Also, for the record, Tapp was traded March 2010 - so that very much was a Roseman trade and not an Andy Reid trade.  And Samuel snagged 5 interceptions for Atlanta the season he was traded (2012) which was more than Asomugh and DRC had combined that season.  But yeah... he fell off a cliff immediately after the Eagles traded him, right

I suggest not arguing with him because obviously he is a child and not going to argue logically. The samuel trade in itself wasnt bad but getting aso when and chsngong the whole scheme away from samuels scheme was bad. Samuel would have been bad for us because he didnt fit. 

27 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Chip had a winning record with the Eagles with no QB.

Chip was able to win with a roster assembled prior to his arrival, then proceeded to dismantle it and head backwards with the team's results, not to mention shipping away franchise players because he couldn't get along with them. He then took a 49ers team that had zero losing seasons in the prior 4 years, and went 2-14 with them. 26-22 with the Eagles isn't exactly impressive either.

Archived