49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

On 7/27/2024 at 9:10 PM, GW21 said:

I just got back from it. I really enjoyed it. 

I went to Twisters last weekend, which I thought was pretty cool visually, but the original was still better IMO. 

I almost went and saw Twisters too, and decided not to at the last minute. 

Seems like alot of people did, and I did too at times I just thought the previous two entries were much stronger.

I've seen some lukewarm response to Deadpool, but I don't really get it. I think if you were going into that movie expecting more than what it is, that's on you. 

I thought it was pretty hilarious. It had some things that were maybe too deep of a cut for some casual watchers and some jokes that aren't meant for 20-21 year olds (it's easy to miss a lot of jokes in this one if you're not 35-45). So it definitely had a higher appeal for a niche audience, but I still just thought it was entertaining. 

I really liked Twisters. More so than the first one since it's not burdened with the marriage / divorce subplot. I do agree that the primary appeal of this one over the first one is how much better equipped movies are to put these things on screen, which is really saying something because I thought the practical effects of twister was done pretty well. 

I think Glen Powell is a modern day costner type. 

I had a couple of quibbles, but the movie was very effective as entertainment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I've seen some lukewarm response to Deadpool, but I don't really get it. I think if you were going into that movie expecting more than what it is, that's on you. 

I thought it was pretty hilarious. It had some things that were maybe too deep of a cut for some casual watchers and some jokes that aren't meant for 20-21 year olds (it's easy to miss a lot of jokes in this one if you're not 35-45). So it definitely had a higher appeal for a niche audience, but I still just thought it was entertaining. 

I really liked Twisters. More so than the first one since it's not burdened with the marriage / divorce subplot. I do agree that the primary appeal of this one over the first one is how much better equipped movies are to put these things on screen, which is really saying something because I thought the practical effects of twister was done pretty well. 

I’m right on the edge of this, but I found myself laughing alone in the theater at some of the jokes, so I think that definitely applies to me. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I didn't hate Deadpool, It's just this whole TPA multiverse thing sucks.  I like that they made fun of it, which is ok, but not using it would have been better.  They all end with the same anti-climatic universal strands on a computer.  Then the ending didn't make any damn sense then there was the twitchy head movement and just said F-it what-ever,  I just really hated certain parts of this movie.  I enjoyed most of the movie, but those two things just stick with me more than any of the action or jokes. 

It's time to finally close the portal, and just deal with regular life/death, super powers,  and space travel, like god intended,. 

9 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I didn't hate Deadpool, It's just this whole TPA multiverse thing sucks.  I like that they made fun of it, which is ok, but not using it would have been better.  They all end with the same anti-climatic universal strands on a computer.  Then the ending didn't make any damn sense then there was the twitchy head movement and just said F-it what-ever,  I just really hated certain parts of this movie.  I enjoyed most of the movie, but those two things just stick with me more than any of the action or jokes. 

It's time to finally close the portal, and just deal with regular life/death, super powers,  and space travel, like god intended,. 

To add to that, one of the main storylines of the movie makes no sense.

spoiler time:

Spoiler

Vanessa breaks up with him because he is so heartbroken from being denied being part of the avengers? Are you kidding me? The whole first movie and half of the second he is trying NOT to be a part of a team.

I understood all of the jokes or a vast majority of them, some of them just weren't funny. The scoutmaster kevin reference in particular stood out to me. It was out in the middle of nowhere and had no basis. In the second movie when he first uttered the phrase it did. The jokes just did not land the same as previous entries.

And I can recognize that this part comes down to personal taste however the whole opening sequence where he dances to insync or the backstreet boys or 98 degrees or whoever it was made me physically ill. I grew up with two sisters who listened to that garbage all the time and have a friend that gets off on torturing me with it on occasion. 

All that being said it is still a top 4 MCU movie since endgame. Which has been 5 years and 11 movies. I still love both Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds (and Morena Baccarin) this (imo) was just a shallow movie and will not hold up well.  

13 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I've stopped with the Marvel stuff for the most part. I've watched a couple of things since Endgame, but it has all sucked. Marvel currently feels like a tv series that is in like year 9 and has gone on for about 3 years too long. 

The Multiverse thing is just a way to create cool scenes and massive fan service. Maybe they would have pulled it off if they had gotten to roll with the Kang storyline, but I don't think so. 

When I think of deadpool, I just consider it its own thing inside that universe for the most part. I think they just try and keep as contained as possible. I get the complaint that there are no real stakes with the Multiverse, however I never really consider deadpool as having larger stakes anyway so that part of it really doesn't bother me. 

Also, the entire deadpool timeframe makes no sense which is why I can't consider the story narrative to be all that serious. 

Spoiler

In #2 they have the x-men cameo in the mansion that would place deadpool in the 90s, but #3 is after Logan?? How does that work?

Deadpool for me is basically like a spoof film, so its really more about whether the comedy lands. 

3 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

To add to that, one of the main storylines of the movie makes no sense.

spoiler time:

Reveal hidden contents

Vanessa breaks up with him because he is so heartbroken from being denied being part of the avengers? Are you kidding me? The whole first movie and half of the second he is trying NOT to be a part of a team.

I understood all of the jokes or a vast majority of them, some of them just weren't funny. The scoutmaster kevin reference in particular stood out to me. It was out in the middle of nowhere and had no basis. In the second movie when he first uttered the phrase it did. The jokes just did not land the same as previous entries.

And I can recognize that this part comes down to personal taste however the whole opening sequence where he dances to insync or the backstreet boys or 98 degrees or whoever it was made me physically ill. I grew up with two sisters who listened to that garbage all the time and have a friend that gets off on torturing me with it on occasion. 

All that being said it is still a top 4 MCU movie since endgame. Which has been 5 years and 11 movies. I still love both Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds (and Morena Baccarin) this (imo) was just a shallow movie and will not hold up well.  

Actually, that's not much of an endorsement, IMO. MCU started to decline during Infinity and Endgame. The 3 Spider Man cross over? Not good. Terribly inconsistent, character and powers-wise. I quit MCU around that point. The Iron Mans (except 2--horrid!), 1st Antman, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, all Captain Americas, Thors (except Love & Thunder), the two Guardians of the Galaxy and some of the Avengers are the best. MCU is way past it's prime. Not bothering with current iterations. This is from the perspective of a Marvel comics collector who quit comics in the late 90s. I have several boxes and most are X-titles. Those were my favorites.

I will say with regards to deadpool 3 (regarding one of cameos) 

Spoiler

Never much cared for the idea of a Gambit movie. Didn't really appeal to me or anything. I thought the way they did him up in Deadpool was kind of cool and I'm a little sad that we didn't get that movie now. 

Granted, it was only for a few minutes of screen time, but thought Tatum was surprisingly decent in the role in this. 

I am happy he got the chance to do it though. I think that was like a multi year long odyssey for him that ultimately never got off the ground

On 7/30/2024 at 9:44 AM, Forge said:

I've stopped with the Marvel stuff for the most part. I've watched a couple of things since Endgame, but it has all sucked. Marvel currently feels like a tv series that is in like year 9 and has gone on for about 3 years too long. 

The Multiverse thing is just a way to create cool scenes and massive fan service. Maybe they would have pulled it off if they had gotten to roll with the Kang storyline, but I don't think so. 

When I think of deadpool, I just consider it its own thing inside that universe for the most part. I think they just try and keep as contained as possible. I get the complaint that there are no real stakes with the Multiverse, however I never really consider deadpool as having larger stakes anyway so that part of it really doesn't bother me. 

Also, the entire deadpool timeframe makes no sense which is why I can't consider the story narrative to be all that serious. 

Reveal hidden contents

In #2 they have the x-men cameo in the mansion that would place deadpool in the 90s, but #3 is after Logan?? How does that work?

Deadpool for me is basically like a spoof film, so its really more about whether the comedy lands. 

I think that’s the main reason why Deadpool makes the reference that he is the Messiah. For one we already know he breaks the 4th wall, but he does it initially because Marvel/Disney isn’t the same since End Game. A lot of ppl including myself are not asking for the next movie because it’s been flop after flop. Now that DeadPool was able to merge and/or bring some heart beat to the timeline, they should be in good hands. Especially with RDJ now back too as Dr. Doom. Which I don’t understand why ppl are so upset about, there’s comics about Tony Stark variant becoming Doom.

Deadpool/Wolverine was a great movie especially the cameos and as mentioned already the jokes that were for us Millennials lol or ones that have stayed around for the ride. 

Eager to see the new Deadpool/Wolverine movie, but I'm waiting for it to start streaming somewhere.  The last movie I went to at an actual theater was in 2017, which just so happened to be Logan.  lol 

I got bedbugs from that theater.  Still very bitter about that.  Spending thousands to get rid of those things + replace stuff will do that to you.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StevenK said:

I think that’s the main reason why Deadpool makes the reference that he is the Messiah. For one we already know he breaks the 4th wall, but he does it initially because Marvel/Disney isn’t the same since End Game. A lot of ppl including myself are not asking for the next movie because it’s been flop after flop. Now that DeadPool was able to merge and/or bring some heart beat to the timeline, they should be in good hands. Especially with RDJ now back too as Dr. Doom. Which I don’t understand why ppl are so upset about, there’s comics about Tony Stark variant becoming Doom.

Deadpool/Wolverine was a great movie especially the cameos and as mentioned already the jokes that were for us Millennials lol or ones that have stayed around for the ride. 

I think the reason people are upset is they see Disney as not really seeing the issue with their flop movies and are just trying to do a bandaid and continue on. Personally, I'm just taking a wait and see approach regarding RDJ. If I think its good I'll say so, if not, not. I'm slightly hopeful more because they are bringing back more of the successful writers and the Russo Brothers. Though they can obvious make some clunkers as well, to me the best MCU movie is still Winter Soldier.

On 8/1/2024 at 3:46 AM, Ftn49 said:

I think the reason people are upset is they see Disney as not really seeing the issue with their flop movies and are just trying to do a bandaid and continue on. Personally, I'm just taking a wait and see approach regarding RDJ. If I think its good I'll say so, if not, not. I'm slightly hopeful more because they are bringing back more of the successful writers and the Russo Brothers. Though they can obvious make some clunkers as well, to me the best MCU movie is still Winter Soldier.

This is right on the money.  Disney just keeps using offices and office employees as the bad guys, and replaces life and death battles and suspense with stupid "universe Strands" on a screen.  

On 7/30/2024 at 5:44 AM, Forge said:

Reveal hidden contents

If I hadn't watched multiple marvel movie since end game I would have enjoyed it more.  Maybe all of them, they were all the same.  Insert alternate universe characters, TPA, then universe strands, then magic, then over.  It's exhausting, and I just thought it tried to hard to make fun of itself as a way to maintain the current storyline rather than just move forward with something that involves a real villan, life and death, origin stories, unique characters that exist with one life etc. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

If I hadn't watched multiple marvel movie since end game I would have enjoyed it more.  Maybe all of them, they were all the same.  Insert alternate universe characters, TPA, then universe strands, then magic, then over.  It's exhausting, and I just thought it tried to hard to make fun of itself as a way to maintain the current storyline rather than just move forward with something that involves a real villan, life and death, origin stories, unique characters that exist with one life etc. 

End Game kind of ruined it all for me.. once any problem can be fixed by just doing time travel stuff, what's the point?

On 8/3/2024 at 3:46 AM, adamq said:

End Game kind of ruined it all for me.. once any problem can be fixed by just doing time travel stuff, what's the point?

I think they need to separate all the universes.  Make it so they can't just portal through to a different earth.  

Once they do that, they have infinite separate earth's with cool niche stories or something.  They gotta get back to stories.