49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

RIP to Akira Toriyama. He was a true pioneer in pop culture with his imagination that he shared with the planet. Dragon Ball is still my favorite anime/manga even after all these years. We lost one of the world's most civic treasures.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 5

Instead of continuing the 80s TV derail going on in the Free Agent Frenzy thread, I thought it could continue here.

Dukes of Hazard, Knight Rider, Magnum PI were all fun but some of my faves were Spenser for Hire and this one: 

The Equalizer – mysentimentsnotexactly

Possibly my all time favorite 80s show right there. He and only he is "Robert McCall". Accept no substitutions or reboots. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, adamq said:

Ghostbusters was a 👍 for me. They did a good job of mixing the old with the new. 

I went and saw it too, first movie in the theaters for me since I think top gun.

Overall, I would say solid movie. I think I'm a little jaded at this point with movies and TV. I think there was some stuff that was a little heavy handed but some done well too. I rewatched afterlife Friday to catch myself back up and I appreciated that movie more than the first time I saw it. Much more involvement from the old cast in this one.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I liked the three body problem on Netflix.  It was good, even though it was a little slow.  Sometimes things seemed pretty contrived, but it was better than most of what is out now. 

Shogun was good also, and it is only four episodes.

I liked three body problem. I definitely thought things were contrived. "Oh, we can't do that? Well, we should just make it so that we can do that". 

I feel like they really probably sped up the books, so I'm debating on whether I want to read the series now. The show sometimes felt very abrupt with certain storylines. 

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

I liked three body problem. I definitely thought things were contrived. "Oh, we can't do that? Well, we should just make it so that we can do that". 

I feel like they really probably sped up the books, so I'm debating on whether I want to read the series now. The show sometimes felt very abrupt with certain storylines. 

I haven't read the books either, but I read Ball Lightning by the same author.  I thought the science was pretty well thought out in the novel I read.  It would probably be well thought out in the novels as well. I think there are three books.  I wanted to read them, but I could never find the first one. 

I am glad it attempts to integrate science.  I feel like Magic and Space are a little overplayed at the moment.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, StevenK said:

Got around to catching up on Ted Lasso. Really good show and character development, especially with only 3 seasons! 

The first season was some of the best TV I have ever watched. I thought later seasons went down in quality but still amazing show.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm very much in the same mindset right now, got the books on my amazon wishlist ready to be ordered lol. 

I liked the premise and the first episode was very exciting, but it kind of went downhill from there. Don't think they did a particularly great job with their characters and they spent way too much time in that VR world for my liking. I do like the scientific elements and as someone who enjoyed the Martian, I could see myself liking the books way more. 

4 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

I'm very much in the same mindset right now, got the books on my amazon wishlist ready to be ordered lol. 

I liked the premise and the first episode was very exciting, but it kind of went downhill from there. Don't think they did a particularly great job with their characters and they spent way too much time in that VR world for my liking. I do like the scientific elements and as someone who enjoyed the Martian, I could see myself liking the books way more. 

The VR headset was essentially a form of communication, but then the Aliens were able to just pop up on the ole TV later on in the series.  

It makes more sense if it is from a specific perspective, so everything that they see is actually shown to them, but that doesn't work with the medium of TV/film, and I don't think the books are written in 1st person.  I suppose the communications would have to be coming in at different speeds.  Maybe I'll watch it again and pay a little more attention.  

I feel like the imaginary science makes sense, but we just don't get enough of the imaginary equation to put it together.  Hard science can be a challenge to bring to the screen from Novels.

I read the first three expanse novels, and they were pretty good.  There was light to medium science rather than space cowboys, lasers, and CGI aliens. 

2 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

The VR headset was essentially a form of communication, but then the Aliens were able to just pop up on the ole TV later on in the series.  

It makes more sense if it is from a specific perspective, so everything that they see is actually shown to them, but that doesn't work with the medium of TV/film, and I don't think the books are written in 1st person.  I suppose the communications would have to be coming in at different speeds.  Maybe I'll watch it again and pay a little more attention.  

I feel like the imaginary science makes sense, but we just don't get enough of the imaginary equation to put it together.  Hard science can be a challenge to bring to the screen from Novels.

I read the first three expanse novels, and they were pretty good.  There was light to medium science rather than space cowboys, lasers, and CGI aliens. 

I didn't mind that it was there, I just felt like they dedicated too much time to that.

That's certainly the case, it was clear that they didn't want to overwhelm the audience with lengthy scientific theories and that's fine, however I feel like that's the part that they maybe could have spent more time on rather than the VR stuff.

I love the Expanse! Excellent world building, realistic sci-fi and just the right amount of unexplainable stuff to keep things interesting. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...