49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

8 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

It's super campy but my fave 80s movie of his is one fine summer. Lots of good actors in that one too. 

Planes, trains and automobiles is at the top of my list of 80s comedies along with the Money Pit. Those two still hold up today as far as I'm concerned.

That movie is a gem. That era was fantastic. Great Outdoors, Trading Places, Coming to America, Uncle Buck; the list goes on. 

Although it was a complete ripoff of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles; Due Date was pretty good too.

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein were a little before that, but are two of my favorite movies of all time. 

What sucks about the movie industry anymore is that they just basically reboot or copy whatever came before them. There is not a lot of originality in the movie industry anymore. It may be because they can’t make movies like they used to because everyone is too afraid that they are going to offend someone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

That movie is a gem. That era was fantastic. Great Outdoors, Trading Places, Coming to America, Uncle Buck; the list goes on. 

Although it was a complete ripoff of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles; Due Date was pretty good too.

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein were a little before that, but are two of my favorite movies of all time. 

What sucks about the movie industry anymore is that they just basically reboot or copy whatever came before them. There is not a lot of originality in the movie industry anymore. It may be because they can’t make movies like they used to because everyone is too afraid that they are going to offend someone. 

Anything with Chevy Chase is top-notch to me. Throw on any Vacation, Spies Like Us, Three Amigos, etc and I'm happy

We've been picking and choosing some 90s comedies to watch with our 7 year old.. a lot of Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler movies still hold up

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, adamq said:

Anything with Chevy Chase is top-notch to me. Throw on any Vacation, Spies Like Us, Three Amigos, etc and I'm happy

We've been picking and choosing some 90s comedies to watch with our 7 year old.. a lot of Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler movies still hold up

I did not care for Three Amigos personally, but I love Fletch and Fletch lives. Caddy Shack was another good one with Chevy. 

I totally agree about the 90s Sandler and Jim Carey movies. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:14 PM, Forge said:

I just watched better of dead a couple of months ago because the GF had never seen it. I couldn't believe it. Can't believe Cusack hated that movie. 

Big fan of real genius from the 80s, and always have a soft spot for summer school

Love Summer School! Mea culpa as I still have not seen Real Genius....  🤫

One Crazy Summer was fun as well. 

11 hours ago, GW21 said:

I loved Due Date... I don't know if it just kind of flew under the radar or whatever but I never saw a big following for it. RDJ is phenomenal in it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, adamq said:

17 hours ago, GW21 said:

I did not care for Three Amigos personally, but I love Fletch and Fletch lives. Caddy Shack was another good one with Chevy. 

I totally agree about the 90s Sandler and Jim Carey movies. 

My favorite thing about the 90s is that it had a little bit of everything. It's like everyone came down off all the cocaine of the 80s, looked around and was like, "WTF are we supposed to do now?" and everyone just started doing everything. And they did it big. It was commercial. The 90s was kind of amazing for it's grandeur. Everything was kind of just twice as big, but twice as empty as it had to be. Its even more evident in music than movies (I mean, really think about 1990s music...its insane...end of hair metal, grunge, the explosion of garth brooks and hip hop,  britpop, ska, pop punk...hell, there was even a brief swing period in there...all while a british anarchist punk band ended up with a number 1 hit...). The world could not determine what the hell it wanted to do.  You can still see the way the movie comedy world was shaking up though, even if it wasn't quite as crazy. 

You had your bankable SNL stars doing their thing (Chris Farley, Adam Sandler...and truthfully Jim Carey as well, he was just on in living color instead of SNL). But toward the end of the decade you really started getting the quirky indy comedy stuff like Wes Anderson (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore) or welcome to the dollhouse. You started getting some darker comedies like Election, the big lebowski if you want to go that route (Fargo too) and maybe even something like Trainspotting. You kind of have those quality genre bending quality moving in the 80's, particularly the late 80s, but they weren't really as affluent. A movie like "A Fish Called Wanda" was kind of a rarity in that decade. That movie would have been fairly normal by the end of the 90s though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Forge said:

My favorite thing about the 90s is that it had a little bit of everything. It's like everyone came down off all the cocaine of the 80s, looked around and was like, "WTF are we supposed to do now?" and everyone just started doing everything. And they did it big. It was commercial. The 90s was kind of amazing for it's grandeur. Everything was kind of just twice as big, but twice as empty as it had to be. Its even more evident in music than movies (I mean, really think about 1990s music...its insane...end of hair metal, grunge, the explosion of garth brooks and hip hop,  britpop, ska, pop punk...hell, there was even a brief swing period in there...all while a british anarchist punk band ended up with a number 1 hit...). The world could not determine what the hell it wanted to do.  You can still see the way the movie comedy world was shaking up though, even if it wasn't quite as crazy. 

You had your bankable SNL stars doing their thing (Chris Farley, Adam Sandler...and truthfully Jim Carey as well, he was just on in living color instead of SNL). But toward the end of the decade you really started getting the quirky indy comedy stuff like Wes Anderson (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore) or welcome to the dollhouse. You started getting some darker comedies like Election, the big lebowski if you want to go that route (Fargo too) and maybe even something like Trainspotting. You kind of have those quality genre bending quality moving in the 80's, particularly the late 80s, but they weren't really as affluent. A movie like "A Fish Called Wanda" was kind of a rarity in that decade. That movie would have been fairly normal by the end of the 90s though. 

90s music? 80s FOREVER, man. There is no music like the 80s. Fortunately, some of them are still at it! Rick Astley has gotten better, IMO. Still love Chicago despite how old they are. Duran Duran, OMD and Depeche Mode have still had recent and relevant works. Ah, the 80s? The music never died, you just need to know where to look for it.

By the 90s, I rarely watched SNL. It was all In Living Color for me! Love Damon Wayans! Major Payne is a riot--and I don't mean maybe, baby!

9 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

90s music? 80s FOREVER, man. There is no music like the 80s. Fortunately, some of them are still at it! Rick Astley has gotten better, IMO. Still love Chicago despite how old they are. Duran Duran, OMD and Depeche Mode have still had recent and relevant works. Ah, the 80s? The music never died, you just need to know where to look for it.

By the 90s, I rarely watched SNL. It was all In Living Color for me! Love Damon Wayans! Major Payne is a riot--and I don't mean maybe, baby!

The 80s had some great stuff, some of my favorites both in movies and music... If we are ranking though, 90s edges the 80s out imo.

I found this video not long ago, its a wild trip.

On 7/16/2023 at 3:39 PM, GW21 said:

Planes, trains, and automobiles was very good.  It was funny, but also had a lot of heart in a very relatable way.  I am surprised they haven't tried another Spaceballs movie.  Spaceballs 2, the Quest for More Money.  Mel Brooks is probably too old, and Star Wars Parodies have since been done a lot by everyone. 

There is so much good source material in novels right now, but Hollywood studios are being greedy.  They want that built in audience and world/universe/multi-verse potential in every stupid project.  They want a built in floor.  Hopefully more "safe picks" like the flash tank really hard.  I might try to take three years off from TV, and just read books in stead.  I'll keep a list of things to watch, then get caught up on the good stuff in 2027 or so, lol.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

80s FOREVER, man. There is no music like the 80s. Fortunately, some of them are still at it! Rick Astley has gotten better, IMO. Still love Chicago despite how old they are. Duran Duran, OMD and Depeche Mode have still had recent and relevant works. Ah, the 80s? The music never died, you just need to know where to look for it.

ALL of this is confirmed as truth. Add in Toto, A Ha, The Outfield, The Scorpions, Journey, Def Leppard, Hall and Oates, many more... 

20 hours ago, Forge said:

Otto in a fish called Wanda

Yes, thanks. Otto was the very best of the show, with Cleese, and of course Palin. 

The thing with Palin having to try and take that old lady out was wicked funny. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

ALL of this is confirmed as truth. Add in Toto, A Ha, The Outfield, The Scorpions, Journey, Def Leppard, Hall and Oates, many more... 

Yes, thanks. Otto was the very best of the show, with Cleese, and of course Palin. 

The thing with Palin having to try and take that old lady out was wicked funny. 

Michael Palin is awesome. Now I’m thinking about Life of Brian. I love that movie as well

Greatest Events of WWII in Color on Netflix.. yes I've reached the "watching war docs" age

Fascinating footage and insight into the war.. puts everything in an entirely different perspective to see actual footage of battle and the real faces of those people in war. Currently on episode 4 which details the Battle of Midway but there are some gruesome sights if you are sensitive to that sort of thing 

Edit- The final 2 episodes are absolutely devastating and brutal. 9 is on the holocaust and 10 is the Pacific War and the atom bombs.. Very difficult to watch, seeing war between armies feels a lot different than seeing what happened to the civilians. You can almost see why Truman went ahead and dropped the 1st bomb, but there is absolutely no excuse for the 2nd

Edited by adamq