49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

On 4/8/2023 at 8:21 AM, oldman9er said:

3 episodes in on a Netflix show by the name of BEEF. 

starts slow, but definitely enjoying it, and would recommend... so far. 

Finished the first three last night.

Agree so far

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, John232 said:

Loved it. Also made me feel morbidly obese, not just normal American fat.

@rudyZ I’m Quebec, what should I be doing besides eating French food

It was weirdly wholesome for a "reality competition" show. And apparently the used car dealer guy

Spoiler

The guy who won the Atlas competition holding the boulder

Is really just a good dude. When he won the strongest man competition a couple years back, he apparently gave all the winnings to one of the other competitors because he had entered to help his sick mother

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It was weirdly wholesome for a "reality competition" show. And apparently the used car dealer guy

Hide contents

The guy who won the Atlas competition holding the boulder

Is really just a good dude. When he won the strongest man competition a couple years back, he apparently gave all the winnings to one of the other competitors because he had entered to help his sick mother

Yup. The show, despite the very obvious and appealingly shallow focus on bodies kind of resulted in the inverse. It was also enjoyable to see how supportive everyone was of each other. Not something most people associate with competitive fitness freaks 

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

Saw Guardians this weekend... it was fine. Not great, not terrible. I didn't think it had the emotional impact of the first two unfortunately. 

Marvel is in a major rough patch lately. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

How do you top Infinity War? And waiting too long to do sequels to both Doctor Strange and Black Panther. They did it to themselves.

The entire movie industry is in a lull. Some of the better current flicks I have watched were from streaming studios ("The Tomorrow War" was really good).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Forge said:

Marvel was so high it was impossible for them not to take a bit of a dip after infinity war like Chrissooner said. I don't know if it is just me that I have watched/seen too much but frankly quality across the board (in both movies and tv) has been down. I've enjoyed more foreign stuff than I have from Hollywood.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

Marvel was so high it was impossible for them not to take a bit of a dip after infinity war like Chrissooner said. I don't know if it is just me that I have watched/seen too much but frankly quality across the board (in both movies and tv) has been down. I've enjoyed more foreign stuff than I have from Hollywood.

Speaking of which: "Big Brother" starring Donnie Yen is really good. I must admit though to being a Donnie Yen fan. But this is not just a martial arts movie...it has a few similarities to "Stand and Deliver" and "Lean on Me", which is one of the reasons I like it so much. 

21 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

How do you top Infinity War? And waiting too long to do sequels to both Doctor Strange and Black Panther. They did it to themselves.

The entire movie industry is in a lull. Some of the better current flicks I have watched were from streaming studios ("The Tomorrow War" was really good).

I feel like after infinity war / endgame, there was just a mass exhale from the audience. They had finally finished this decade plus long story that they had been committed to and when it was over, I'm not sure how much more they had left in them. 

The movies also became way more about spectacle which was great for infinity war / endgame because it came with real impacts (deaths) and it was the culmination. It was the grand finale of the fireworks. But spectacle has become the most important thing in every marvel movie and I think people tire of that. Every Marvel movie has ostensibly become the same. Just drop in the appropriate character, add some quips, there's your movie