49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I would agree for back in the day. I can't remember the last truly great comedy movie though, tbh. Feel like that is a dying genre. I really liked Game Night a few years ago, but woof, the genre is on hard times. 

I think comedies really fell off after the '80s--yes I am biased!  

Better Off Dead--the best comedy ever, IMO.

My other favorites are UHF, Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre! Fun rather than offensive.

I remember watching Animal House recently and not laughing once. Not really a fan of that era of comedy. I was raised on Ace Ventura and entered my adult age when Wedding Crashers set the tone for what comedy should aspire to be. Unfortunately, Superbad and Hangover came along and every comedy after that tried to be that. Now comedy is pretty much a dead genre. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I think comedies really fell off after the '80s--yes I am biased!  

Better Off Dead--the best comedy ever, IMO.

My other favorites are UHF, Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre! Fun rather than offensive.

I just watched better of dead a couple of months ago because the GF had never seen it. I couldn't believe it. Can't believe Cusack hated that movie. 

Big fan of real genius from the 80s, and always have a soft spot for summer school

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I remember watching Animal House recently and not laughing once. Not really a fan of that era of comedy. I was raised on Ace Ventura and entered my adult age when Wedding Crashers set the tone for what comedy should aspire to be. Unfortunately, Superbad and Hangover came along and every comedy after that tried to be that. Now comedy is pretty much a dead genre. 

This is what I was referring to as well. Good, broad comedies just aren't a thing any more 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is what I was referring to as well. Good, broad comedies just aren't a thing any more 

You get the random Hulu originals that are just Hangover or Superbad knockoffs still but it's a dead genre for the most part. That or you just get continuations from previous films that aren't quite on the level of their predecessors (Clerks 3, I'm assuming the upcoming Dodgeball sequel).

Sure, you'll find a rare gem every now and then but you're sifting through a mile of **** until you find it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GW21 said:

This was a recent comedy that I thought was good.

As I was reading through this, this is the only comedy I could think of.

The problem are studios are demanding action in all the comedies, and those are always either medium or bad.

I think the 80's, 90's, and 00's were all good decades for comedy in their own ways.  Movies are hurting especially bad, but comedy shows are just not that good anymore, althoughI am enjoying this season of It's Always Sunny.

It sucks the Actors, studios and writers are all striking, when the stage hands, costumers, sound guys, etc are the ones that deserve better working conditions.  The number of hours these guys work to placate the actors and studios is absurd.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

As I was reading through this, this is the only comedy I could think of.

The problem are studios are demanding action in all the comedies, and those are always either medium or bad.

I think the 80's, 90's, and 00's were all good decades for comedy in their own ways.  Movies are hurting especially bad, but comedy shows are just not that good anymore, althoughI am enjoying this season of It's Always Sunny.

It sucks the Actors, studios and writers are all striking, when the stage hands, costumers, sound guys, etc are the ones that deserve better working conditions.  The number of hours these guys work to placate the actors and studios is absurd.  

Sunny, Righteous Gemstones, Archer, South Park, & Family guy are all shows still going that I appreciate. 

Personally I liked the earlier seasons of Sunny better more than the more recent ones, same with South Park, but I still enjoy them. 

Eastbound and Down was another really funny series while it was going. Like The Righteous Gemstones, it’s super irreverent which is right up my alley. 

On 7/14/2023 at 11:14 PM, Forge said:

I just watched better of dead a couple of months ago because the GF had never seen it. I couldn't believe it. Can't believe Cusack hated that movie. 

Big fan of real genius from the 80s, and always have a soft spot for summer school

It's super campy but my fave 80s movie of his is one fine summer. Lots of good actors in that one too. 

Planes, trains and automobiles is at the top of my list of 80s comedies along with the Money Pit. Those two still hold up today as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1