Pick 4 scenario: Who is your pick?

dcat

20 hours ago, JetWash said:

If fans were given a little more info, I don’t think we’d make bad decisions.  Becton’s knee and Fant’s extension demands are unknown to us.   I’d get Icky if I didn’t like either the Fant or Becton situation.  

If not, I think Sauce is the real deal, so that would be my pick, even though it doesn’t feel like a burning need.  

BUT…. If they think there is a clear WR1 and they don’t trade for one before the draft, throw it all out and take one.   WRs might bounce back, but that group was a huge letdown last season.  This is the biggest need, but I still don’t want a forced pick for the sake of it.  If they grade 5 WRs close, 10 will be fine.  

1st 2 paragraphs are what I did.  If I had genuine negative data on Becton, OT would have been the pick.  But until such time, I'm operating like Becton is our injury-prone starting RT...  oops did I say right?   :)

Edited by dcat

6 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Ikem or sauce. JJ is horrible value 4th overall

Some would say he's not so hot value at 10 as well, but Id take him there.  Leaned that way as well due to the love affair between the jets coaching staff and JJ as so prominently displayed by the team.  Smokescreen?  Nope.  I think they want him.  It will be so interesting to learn if JD is/was/or will be hunting for a trade down partner from 4.  

• Like 1

Issue I have with OL at 4 is that it’s not that much if a need. Which pushes our 2 biggest needs down. Now we’re pretty much forced than to take a DE at 10. And then WR in Round 2. I don’t dislike the DEs at 10. But I don’t like the WRs that are likely there in Round 2. I’d much rather see us go DE at 4, WR at 10 and go from there.

I'd take Sauce because to me he is the best combination of need and potential to be a stud with a very solid floor in this draft that I know will not be available at #10. I'm not saying the front office will do that and I understand they don't value the position and already signed Reed. But it's still what I'd do in this scenario over taking Neal who would be next on my list. Remaining edge rushers are a step down for me personally. 

Part of the problem is Douglas went into the draft with the same WR room minus Crowder when you have his fate and the franchises to a 2nd year QB who needs every tool to improve from a concerning first year. Hopefully he'll be able to rectify that with Deebo or some plan that that actually succeeds. Draft strategy for me is simple. I worry about needs but I've been seeing enough drafts to know there is so much bust potential if there is any doubt or you think there is some level of drop off just take the guy you're confident in. 

On 4/18/2022 at 4:52 AM, Bobby816 said:

Issue I have with OL at 4 is that it’s not that much if a need. Which pushes our 2 biggest needs down. Now we’re pretty much forced than to take a DE at 10. And then WR in Round 2. I don’t dislike the DEs at 10. But I don’t like the WRs that are likely there in Round 2. I’d much rather see us go DE at 4, WR at 10 and go from there.

If we go OL at 4, chances are we start shopping Becton for a day 2 pick. If we get 39 or 41 from let's say Chicago or Seattle (maybe wishful thinking?), we'd have 10, 35, 38, and 39/41 to address other needs. I'd probably grab my WR there at 10 because I can get one of the top two guys on my board, and then target the likes of Boye Mafe or George Karlaftis later - trading up if necessary. Then with the other two seconds we're approaching the sweet spot for LB and S. If we absolutely had to go OL at 4, this is what I'd hope for.

7 hours ago, jetjuice said:

If we go OL at 4, chances are we start shopping Becton for a day 2 pick. If we get 39 or 41 from let's say Chicago or Seattle (maybe wishful thinking?), we'd have 10, 35, 38, and 39/41 to address other needs. I'd probably grab my WR there at 10 because I can get one of the top two guys on my board, and then target the likes of Boye Mafe or George Karlaftis later - trading up if necessary. Then with the other two seconds we're approaching the sweet spot for LB and S. If we absolutely had to go OL at 4, this is what I'd hope for.

If we’d trade someone it’d be the 29yr old Fant. Not the 23yr old Becton.

7 hours ago, Rich51 said:

I heard something on the NFL network where JD quoted Ozzie Newsome last week, “what appears like a luxury today might be a need tomorrow.” 
Meaning OT is not off the table at 4 (or I assume 10).

Well we have huge needs at DE and WR.  We need to stop overthinking.

11 hours ago, Rich51 said:

I heard something on the NFL network where JD quoted Ozzie Newsome last week, “what appears like a luxury today might be a need tomorrow.” 
Meaning OT is not off the table at 4 (or I assume 10).

I take this quote as draft the best player available and damn the position.  If JD thinks OT at 4 or 10 is the BPA, he'll draft him.  It could also mean he'll draft an OT or any player regardless of need anywhere in the draft.  JD did a good job of filling most of the holes, now it is time to upgrade.  As a fan, OT is the not a huge worry for me.  But that's only because I have no clue what is going on behind the scenes.  We'll know in 31.5 hrs.

21 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

You still believe that?

I think going OL period in Round 1 isn’t smart. I thought it was 100% an option before we signed Tomlinson, bc we could’ve started that rookie at G. Now there’s no spot for really any OLineman. And good teams don’t draft backups top 10