Browns extend CB Denzel Ward (5 years, $100.5M, $71.25M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

31 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Holy smokes, I knew he was good but is he highest paid CB in the league good?

“Highest paid” often means “most recent good player to get contract” and little more 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Also, honest question, as someone who has not watched Ward substantially. Is he worth this? My impression was that Ward was good, but one of those guys who is a bigger name due to draft position than due to his pro play so far. Not like, a disappointment, but not a star either. Is he actually this good?

Perhaps I am wrong, I believe him to be a top 5 cover corner

He is a willing tackler too, but he is just a tad bit undersized. The only negative thing you can really say about his game is that he has had some injuries in his career

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It's going to be very interesting to see how the Browns navigate the cap next year. It is very likely this deal will already project them as over the cap in 2023. I'm sure they have a plan, just not sure exactly what it is. I thought Ward would be the one they let go. A Watson restructure akin to what we've done with Mahomes could work, though it's less manageable long term on the (relatively) shorter deal.

Also, honest question, as someone who has not watched Ward substantially. Is he worth this? My impression was that Ward was good, but one of those guys who is a bigger name due to draft position than due to his pro play so far. Not like, a disappointment, but not a star either. Is he actually this good?

Navigating the cap takes skill, but I don't think it'll be much of a problem. All the of the Browns young talent are signed for awhile now:

• Chubb signed through 2024 (FA in '25)
  • Cooper signed through 2024 (FA in '25)
  • Newsome signed through 2024 (FA in '25/rookie deal)
  • JOK signed through 2024 (FA in '25/rookie deal)
  • Bitonio signed through 2025 (FA in '26)
  • Teller signed through 2025 (FA in '26)
  • Garrett signed through 2026 (FA in '27)
  • Watson signed through 2026 (FA in '27)
  • Ward signed through 2027 (FA in '28)

As for Ward's skill - he's an multi pro bowler who plays at an elite level. If anything, he's one of the more underrated players in the league. His biggest issue is his ability to stay healthy, as he has averaged just 14 games per season in his career. Those soft tissue injuries (hamstrings mainly) will have him miss a game or two here and there.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

More shocking to me than the 100M is the amount guaranteed.

It's the early release of contract info, so odds are, a good chunk of that guaranteed are the kind of thing where like, his 2024 salary becomes guaranteed at the end of the 2023 season, kind of thing. Or it's including guarantees for injury. I doubt more than half of it's fully guaranteed signing bonus type money.

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Jimmys got money, but I imagine he’s angering other owners. 

There were supposedly a lot of owners angry about how much guaranteed $$$ Watson got.

Rightfully so. I feel like it'd be "just desserts" if Watson ends up suspended now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Rightfully so. I feel like it'd be "just deserts" if Watson ends up suspended now.

For a situation that never saw him indicted, at most he's probably suspended 8 games (whether 2022 or 2023). Possibly as low as 4 games.

From an organizational standpoint, it's not a bad investment for a borderline top 6'ish QB you'd expect to have for the next 10 years.

Edited by Vee-Rex
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It's going to be very interesting to see how the Browns navigate the cap next year. It is very likely this deal will already project them as over the cap in 2023. I'm sure they have a plan, just not sure exactly what it is. I thought Ward would be the one they let go. A Watson restructure akin to what we've done with Mahomes could work, though it's less manageable long term on the (relatively) shorter deal.

He is very good, hes not Jalen Ramsey good but I would say equally good as guy like Xavien Howard. The only thing he doesnt have on his side is injury luck--he gets banged up quite a bit because of his slender size. However, when he is on the field I would say the only 3 CBs you could definitively say are better would be Alexander, Humphrey and Ramsey. Howard and Ward I would put in the 4th-5th spots IMO.

I think a lot of the reason some are unsure is because he doesnt talk. Hes not Peters, Ramsey, ect running his mouth about how great he is every 5 seconds. Since he is soft spoken, he tends to get overlooked a lot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vee-Rex said:

Navigating the cap takes skill, but I don't think it'll be much of a problem. All the of the Browns young talent are signed for awhile now:

• Chubb signed through 2024 (FA in '25)
  • Cooper signed through 2024 (FA in '25)
  • Newsome signed through 2024 (FA in '25/rookie deal)
  • JOK signed through 2024 (FA in '25/rookie deal)
  • Bitonio signed through 2025 (FA in '26)
  • Teller signed through 2025 (FA in '26)
  • Garrett signed through 2026 (FA in '27)
  • Watson signed through 2026 (FA in '27)
  • Ward signed through 2027 (FA in '28)

I'm aware the big pieces are signed, but that's not what makes me curious, what I wonder how they'll manage is just basic roster fill. Right now, based on the most common cap projections for 2023, they're on pace to have either $5M in space or literally nothing in cap space for that offseason. That's prior to the Ward deal, so it'll presumably be down to nothing either way after this. And that'll be with 30 players under contract. The drafts and filling to 53 alone would put them over. And while the stars are signed, there are some notable role players between this offseason and next that are parting and need replaced. Tretter, Conklin, Harrison, McDowell, Jackson, Walker, Njoku, Williams, Clowney, Landry, etc. And not even talking about the value of any of those players, more just pointing out that they will need literal replacements, with no money available. The only cuts next offseason that would save more than like $2M in space are Chubb and Cooper, which would obviously not be desirable. There's no one they can even really trade that makes more space that dead money. John Johnson and Jedrick Wills would be the possible early extensions, by neither saves enough money alone or combined. So I assume they're going to restructure someone (maybe multiple guys), there just aren't many choices that wouldn't snowball quickly. Like, they can restructure Watson, lower his 2023 cap hit by $33M, but then you're ballooning his last 3 years up to $66M with how they structured it.

I'm not saying they won't figure it out, or that these deals aren't worth it at the moment. But it will be one of the tougher cap situations to deal with next offseason, and there are no blatant outs, so I'm intrigued to see what they'll choose to do.

A GM should not get credit for giving a player way too much money with every deal. Any of us can make those deals too.

That's insane guaranteed money for a non-QB who was not in a 4 team bidding war.

The rest of the league has to really hate the Browns now with the way they are making NFL contracts into NBA contracts.

17 minutes ago, Danger said:

Rightfully so. I feel like it'd be "just desserts" if Watson ends up suspended now.

When is now? None of the lawsuits will be settled this season and Goodell said no to the Commissioner's list.

Do you mean 2023?