Pick 47 Run off: Hall vs Howell

MikeT14

Which one   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• Sam Howell QB
    • Breece Hall RB

I voted Hall. Top tier RB, genuinely a mystery why teams talk themselves out of guys like this.

He’s not quite on the level that Jonathan Taylor occupied in my mind (and ratings), but you’re talking about a guy who consistently put up monster numbers as the only major weapon on a non-football factory roster in a Power 5 conference. He then goes to the combine and absolutely destroys it. What else do you need to see? He should be gone in the 20s, as the only advantage guys like Najee and Etienne have over him is…who they played for. Would strongly consider either Hall or Walker at 47, and I’m not a big RB guy (as @lavar703 will attest).

Sam Howell being there at 47 means that every single team in the draft had the chance to take him and chose to pass. Many of them twice. Many of them with big QB needs. Some having chosen one of 3-4 other QBs (in what is perceived as an awful QB draft) over him. As with the overwhelming majority of QB picks that come that late, there’s probably a reason no one wanted him enough to take him. I like traits that I see in him too, but the wisdom of the crowd is a thing to be relied upon in drafting QBs at this point — the league is good at weeding out the guys who probably don’t have it. 

Beyond that, Wentz is a better “prospect” than Howell, and this draft should be focused on helping the team win with him. A guy like Hall plays immediately and helps to unlock whatever they have in Wentz. A guy like Howell would probably make Wentz worse, based on how he’s responded to QBs looming behind him in the past. 

• Like 1

Between the two I would go Hall, if we didn’t have Wentz and didn’t take a QB in the first I would go Howell

i actually really like Howell a lot, especially if he’s at 47, but having Wentz makes that a luxury pick IMO and we have holes to fill.

honestly if they were available I would hope a team trade up for them, bc if we go WR in the first I think safety and LB has a good group of guys in the 2nd round

• Like 1

I go Howell.

You can find good-to-productive RB's on day 3.

Good luck, finding a QB on that day.

We have Gibson. We don't need a 2nd Rd RB.

We also have McKissic.

Yes, we should draft one. But rds 4-7 is the sweet spot for underrated RB's.

Howell, is a possibly the best QB in the draft.

We just know know, because all the QB's are lumped together with assorted opinions.

Rivera & company have already come out & said we will have 3 QB's on the roster.

I would rather Howell & his upside be that #3, than some no-namer undrafted dude from Chattanooga be there.

With the way our QB's go down on that field?

Wentz is an ACL from watching Heinike get his collarbone broken, from pylon diving.

Give me Howell.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

This is fun. Maybe I will cut this off at 3 pm to get to the next pick. 

Well, right now we got a complete split. 6 votes each.

You know what that means?

It means we need to trade Payne right now for a 2nd Rd pick, so we can have both these players. Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I feel like the people voting for Howell just hated the Carson Wentz trade and think Howell would somehow would supplant Wentz at QB.  It would not happen.  Taking a QB in the 2nd would be a complete waste. 

Incorrect sir...

I LOVE the Wentz trade! Best trade we've made in yrs.

I want Howell over Breece Hall for several reasons.

1)field injuries to Wentz & Heiny could happen. I want my #3 to have high potential.

2)We can finally properly develop one, instead of throwing a rookie in there, before he's ready.

3)RB's can be had in the mid to late rounds now. This isn't 1987, where you run the ball 35+ times a game.

4)we have Gibson & McKissic already. I would rather start a 6th round RB in case they both got hurt.....than an undrafted rookie QB from Florida Atlantic or whatever if Wentz & Heiny went down.

5)With Howell as the #3, this opens up our options with Wentz & Heiny for next yr even more.

If we need to cut Wentz cause he sucks & his cap, we still have Heiny & Howell.

If we need to dump Heiny, we still have Wentz & Howell.

We still have Patterson in the lineup at RB with minimal carries.

We can easily find another RB on day 3 and let him compete for a role.

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I feel like the people voting for Howell just hated the Carson Wentz trade and think Howell would somehow would supplant Wentz at QB.  It would not happen.  Taking a QB in the 2nd would be a complete waste. 

I genuinely believe Howell could be the best QB in this class. Getting him in the middle of 2nd would be worth the risk.

We waste 2nd rounders anyway. Excluding Cosmi, the last time we had a decent 2nd rounder - Ladell Betts in 02? Smoot in 01? 

• Like 1