Doug Baldwin: TNF should be illegal

DigInBoys

Several players were injured during Thursday night's game between the Arizona Cardinals and Seattle Seahawks.

The most notable injury was to Richard Sherman, who is believed to be lost for the season with an Achilles injury.

"This s--- should be illegal," Doug Baldwin said. "It is not OK. It's not OK. You can quote me on that.

"This is not OK. ... Absolutely, guys do not have enough time to recover. You can't recover in four days."

Baldwin suffered a groin injury in the game and one was of at least 15 players hurt or injured during the game.

"It's Exhibit A, Exhibit B, Exhibit C, Exhibit D, Exhibit Z. Thursday night football should be illegal," Baldwin said.

https://football.realgm.com/wiretap/39557/Doug-Baldwin-Thursday-Night-Football-Should-Be-Illegal

Add a bye week and only let teams play on Thursday coming off a bye.

Well Baldwin clearly isn't a libertarian ;)

Of course it shouldn't be illegal, but changes to TNF need to come. Guaranteed bye the week before a TNF game? The week after? I don't have the answer, but there must be a better option or at least a compromise.

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Bring it up during the next CBA negotiation. The players agreed to it. I'm not a fan of Thursday night football but Saturday night might be kind of cool. I know they do it at the end of the year.

The tough part with that is that I don't think that you want to be competing against college football. They usually don't do the saturday games until the college football season is over, if I remember right. 

The easiest solution is that you don't do the thursday night games every week. Start the season with it, and then do it during the mid season where only teams coming off the bye will play. The problem, of course, is that they won't get as many games for this primetime slot to generate as much ad revenue. 

I am a fan of the double header monday night game, but I doubt that they do that. Unfortunately, the eastern time zone is pretty much headed for bed when the second game kicks up, so again, the money isn't there in comparison to the solo thursday night game (though I have to imagine its still better than the localized non primetime sunday game) 

Just now, ChazStandard said:

Do players get injured more often on TNF games? Last night was a bad one, but I don't remember Thursday games being bloodbaths all the time.

Me neither. Kind of just seems like a confirmation bias situation, to me. Some players or fans think it might cause injuries, so then when someone or a few players get hurt, they point to it as validation, without noticing all the injuries not on TNF at a likely similar rate.

This game was bad for injuries. But there's been plenty like that on Sunday or Monday too.

14 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Do players get injured more often on TNF games? Last night was a bad one, but I don't remember Thursday games being bloodbaths all the time.

Not really sure but even if a player doesn't get injured they still may not be getting the proper rest they need in between games.

Also, Sherman's injury shouldn't be blamed on TNF.  He said the achilles had been bothering him since the Rams game and he kept playing knowing it eventually may tear.

12 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Me neither. Kind of just seems like a confirmation bias situation, to me. Some players or fans think it might cause injuries, so then when someone or a few players get hurt, they point to it as validation, without noticing all the injuries not on TNF at a likely similar rate.

This game was bad for injuries. But there's been plenty like that on Sunday or Monday too.

I remember the Rams / 49ers game being somewhat brutal with the injuries if I'm remembering right, but that's the only one I truly paid attention to so far this season to notice. I could even be wrong about that - it was a while ago. But for some reason I just keep thinking that there was a lot of guys in pain that night. At the same time, I'm not sure it's been any worse the rest of the season for the 49ers specifically, our game against Philly was rough from an injury standpoint and that was a sunday, and we are the most injured team in the league this year I believe, so we may just have a lot regardless of what day we play lol

Archived