GDT: Cowboys vs NFL Draft

WizardHawk

2 minutes ago, Northland said:

Dallas also has  LT who can't  stay healthy.  Smith will be a solid addition.  Plays permanently pissed off.  I'm no apologist for Jerry and company.  Far from it, but I said earlier don't sleep on Smith.  I remember fans screaming when a center from Wisconsin was drafted as well.  Everyone needs to wait until they see him in pads.

I remember fans screaming when Taco Charlton was drafted over TJ Watt and they turned out to be right. 

3 minutes ago, Northland said:

Dallas also has  LT who can't  stay healthy.  Smith will be a solid addition.  Plays permanently pissed off.  I'm no apologist for Jerry and company.  Far from it, but I said earlier don't sleep on Smith.  I remember fans screaming when a center from Wisconsin was drafted as well.  Everyone needs to wait until they see him in pads.

I like the idea of an insanely athletic guy (which he is) who plays in a permanent state of pissed (which he does). The challenge there is that it can make the player a penalty magnet.

Just now, SweetFancyMoses said:

Was that Cowboys fans? I remember loving getting him but being surprised they took him so early . 

It wasn’t. They traded back and got Frederick so a lot of fans understood. This feels more like a Taco pick. Everyone has been trading left and right, but Dallas sits there at #24 and overdrafts Tyler Smith.

3 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I like the idea of an insanely athletic guy (which he is) who plays in a permanent state of pissed (which he does). The challenge there is that it can make the player a penalty magnet.

The emotion may be a challenge that needs to be worked on but as you say he's  insanely athletic.  Finishes blocks.  I think some folks need some decaf.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Northland said:

The emotion may be a challenge that needs to be worked on but as you say he's  insanely athletic.  Finishes blocks.  I think some folks need some decaf.  

Just was really excited at the prospect of Jermaine Johnson opposite of Tank with Micah roaming free

1 minute ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Just was really excited at the prospect of Jermaine Johnson opposite of Tank with Micah roaming free

I thought that too but OL was a huge need.  I think Smith will win over the fans.  He is not soft that's for sure.

19 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

I remember fans screaming when Taco Charlton was drafted over TJ Watt and they turned out to be right. 

Every team under the sun misses on draft picks. This front office and scouting department has easily been one of the better ones in NFL at hitting. I’m going to confidently give them the benefit here.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I believe in taking the best prospect especially at a premiere position.  Much easier to sign or draft a good guard in rounds 2-3

Maybe but that hasn’t worked out or happened last two plus years. 

while there is a good chance Smith was a panic pick when Zion and green were drafted that does not mean that Smith will fail. Not a huge reach but yes not the BPA left. (Johnson or Dean)

23 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Every team under the sun misses on draft picks. This front office and scouting department has easily been one of the better ones in NFL at hitting. I’m going to confidently give them the benefit here.

I say this every year: wait until you see him and every other pick in pads.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

10-12 last 1st rounders made pro bowl says it all I think 

and yes IMO I do not have Smith as BPA but also he could have been the Cowboys

5 hours ago, WittWareTNew said:

Has someone leaked the cowboys board or anyone else's? How do so many of you know that Tyler Smith was not the BPA?

I'm sure like every year their pick was by far the bpa.  They will also say they tried to move up to 15 to take him, but couldn't get a deal done. Let me also guess.  Whoever we get in the 2nd they will have had a 1st round grade on.   Nothing but truth coming from this front office.

Edited by SweetFancyMoses
  • Like 2