With the 16th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Washington Commanders select Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

MikeT14

What grade do you give the pick and trade?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the trade. #11 for #16, #98, #120

2. 2. Grade the pick at #16 - Jahan Dotson

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Cool metrics, but I wish I had some idea where they’re coming from.

For example, I’ve watched the vast majority of the snaps Dotson and Jameson Williams took last season (multiple times now), and there’s just no way I can see Dotson rating as the better deep threat. There are very few players I’ve seen in college that I’d rate as even comparable to Williams as a deep threat, and — while I like him — Jahan Dotson isn’t one of them. 

He can make plays down the field, but he’s not getting on top of guys (especially in man coverage) regularly. He’s more likely to find a seam in zone coverage to get behind a safety. Williams can do it all in the deep passing game. His speed and his ball tracking ability are both world class.

• Like 3

On 5/15/2022 at 2:35 PM, e16bball said:

Cool metrics, but I wish I had some idea where they’re coming from.

For example, I’ve watched the vast majority of the snaps Dotson and Jameson Williams took last season (multiple times now), and there’s just no way I can see Dotson rating as the better deep threat. There are very few players I’ve seen in college that I’d rate as even comparable to Williams as a deep threat, and — while I like him — Jahan Dotson isn’t one of them. 

He can make plays down the field, but he’s not getting on top of guys (especially in man coverage) regularly. He’s more likely to find a seam in zone coverage to get behind a safety. Williams can do it all in the deep passing game. His speed and his ball tracking ability are both world class.

My guess is that stats may back up that Dotson was better as a deep threat in terms of production but, Jameson Williams in his 1 YEAR OF PRODUCTION looks better on film as a deep threat/has him on the eye test.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Good news. Although the slotting system really takes the fun out of waiting and agonizing about what the 1st round rookie is going to get paid — and when the deal is going to get done. Whatever happened to the good old-fashioned “rookie holding out before he’s ever taken a snap” move? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Good news. Although the slotting system really takes the fun out of waiting and agonizing about what the 1st round rookie is going to get paid — and when the deal is going to get done. Whatever happened to the good old-fashioned “rookie holding out before he’s ever taken a snap” move? 

Thank god for the rookie wage scale. Best thing to happen to the NFL this century.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

For the life of me, I still don’t understand how Olave, Williams, Hamilton, Davis, McDuffie and Lloyd were available to us and we ended up with Dotson? Just remarkable. 

That's the "opportunity cost" that Dotson will be associated with. If any of them go on to be perennial Pro Bowlers and Dotson flames out or just has an "ok" career, then the pick will be panned. We just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lavar703 said:

For the life of me, I still don’t understand how Olave, Williams, Hamilton, Davis, McDuffie and Lloyd were available to us and we ended up with Dotson? Just remarkable. 

I still for the life of me don’t understand why you don’t value Dotson the same as the other guys mentioned. He was always going to be a 1st round pick if you go by the mock drafters that you’re forming your opinion off of to spread your narrative that we reached on him and passed on better  players.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I still for the life of me don’t understand why you don’t value Dotson the same as the other guys mentioned. He was always going to be a 1st round pick if you go by the mock drafters that you’re forming your opinion off of to spread your narrative that we reached on him and passed on better  players.

I'm in a wait and see with all of these guys. All of them could end up being studs. Or none of them. Or some of them. It's a crap shoot right now which way it goes. Right now, they are all potential HOFers. And potential first round busts. 

I do like what I've seen from Dotson. Hopefully that translates into production on the field during the season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Because they’re better players. Teams traded up for Olave and Williams. We traded down for Dotson and was universally seen as a reach. The guys own agent told him he wouldn’t be gone until late first-early second. If you really want to argue he’s just as good as Olave or Williams then I don’t know what to tell you? No one agrees with you and that includes the NFL teams picking the players. 

On 5/20/2022 at 7:33 AM, lavar703 said:

Because they’re better players. Teams traded up for Olave and Williams. We traded down for Dotson and was universally seen as a reach. The guys own agent told him he wouldn’t be gone until late first-early second. If you really want to argue he’s just as good as Olave or Williams then I don’t know what to tell you? No one agrees with you and that includes the NFL teams picking the players. 

But they’re not. They’re just different players. 

Look at Dotson’s production & he was the only real weapon for Penn State:

91 recs, 1182 yds & 12 TDs

His 40 is only .4 or .5 tenths slower, he’s runs great routes like Olave & Wilson, he attacks the ball in the air like Wilson & Dotson has been dubbed as having the best hands in the draft.

You’re forming your opinion off of mock drafters slotting Dotson in the 20s & not the teens & calling it a reach. The mock drafters opinions like Kiper, McShay, guys on ESPN, Fox, cbs, NBC & NFL mean nothing. They’re giving the same opinions we are.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

But they’re not. They’re just different players. 

Look at Dotson’s production & he was the only real weapon for Penn State:

91 recs, 1182 yds & 12 TDs

His 40 is only .4 or .5 tenths slower, he’s runs great routes like Olave & Wilson, he attacks the ball in the air like Wilson & Dotson has been dubbed as having the best hands in the draft.

You’re forming your opinion off of mock drafters slotting Dotson in the 20s & not the teens & calling it a reach. The mock drafters opinions like Kiper, McShay, guys on ESPN, Fox, cbs, NBC & NFL mean nothing. They’re giving the same opinions we are.

No dude, my opinion is based on how many receivers got drafted ahead of him. The saints could’ve stayed at their pick and took him, instead they moved up and took Olave. The Lions could’ve waited and gave up less to get Dotson and they didn’t. You’re living in la la land if you think NFL teams had him ranked evenly with the guys we decided pass up for a super late 3rd and a 4th. 

Like I said before, I hope he ends up being a special player. I was wrong about McLaurin and I hope that’s the case here as well. We passed up better players to do this and there’s no arguing that. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

No dude, my opinion is based on how many receivers got drafted ahead of him. The saints could’ve stayed at their pick and took him, instead they moved up and took Olave. The Lions could’ve waited and gave up less to get Dotson and they didn’t. You’re living in la la land if you think NFL teams had him ranked evenly with the guys we decided pass up for a super late 3rd and a 4th. 

Like I said before, I hope he ends up being a special player. I was wrong about McLaurin and I hope that’s the case here as well. We passed up better players to do this and there’s no arguing that. 

I hear ya, I’m just saying that doesn’t mean anything that a player may have been rated slightly better during in the draft process in terms of what they develop into in the NFL which is what you eluded to when you talked about Terry. 

I have a feeling Dotson is going to have a Jamison Crowder type impact for us, but Dotson has more speed which could mean  more yac from him.

60-70 recs but more yac so, more like 12-13 ypc rather than Crowder’s 10 ypc as a rookie so 750-800 yds & a handful of TDs or so.