2K22 Rookies

onejayhawk

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

They are saying he\ll play the Sam, so the obvious answer is like Denver used to use Von Miller. There is every reason to believe he can set an edge even though he ws never asked to at Wisconsin.

Here is Miller's RAS card

EBaeHmAXYAAILYV?format=png&name=small

You have a way with words. 

So more pass rush/edge than I expected

I sort of had him down as a WILL or an inside thumper. I've seen him absolutely crumble and interior OL. Obviously will be different in the pros. I can't wait to see, hope he gets plenty of minutes 

Edited by BigTrav

22 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

So more pass rush/edge than I expected

I sort of had him down as a WILL or an inside thumper. I've seen him absolutely crumble and interior OL. Obviously will be different in the pros. I can't wait to see, hope he gets plenty of minutes 

One of those IOL was Tyler Linderbaum, the Raven's 1st round pick. 

What gets me is that every profile I can find mentions the ability as a blitzer and the closing speed. Yet none of them put the parts together and get Edge. He has the size and physicality to play stand-up DE in the nickel package. Don't take him out in coverage situations; move him forward.

One thing to remember is that this will be a position change. The tools are there but so is a steeper learning curve. That's probably why we waited until #103. If it were up to me, I would have taken him at #62 and hoped Cook was still available 41 picks later.

Edited by onejayhawk

For now lets have him learn Spagz defense/off-ball LB before they start talking about DE/Edge. Hes got a ways to go, but with his athletic ability hes got a lot of promise. 

What i love about Chenal is he makes a decision very quickly and he attacks even faster. Very Derrick Johnson/Bobby Boucher like. Hell be fun on delayed blitzes, or run defense, and i think he is exactly what were looking for in trying to corral Josh Allen.

Darrel Williams is officially gone, which opens a door for rookie Isaiah Pacheco. He was already a decent bet to make the team since he has a reputation as a good pass blocker and his sub-4.4 speed makes him a KR candidate.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/darrel_williams_departure_opens_the_door_for_isiah_pacheco/s1_16631_37532915

On 5/24/2022 at 12:14 PM, Chiefer said:

For now lets have him learn Spagz defense/off-ball LB before they start talking about DE/Edge. Hes got a ways to go, but with his athletic ability hes got a lot of promise. 

What i love about Chenal is he makes a decision very quickly and he attacks even faster. Very Derrick Johnson/Bobby Boucher like. Hell be fun on delayed blitzes, or run defense, and i think he is exactly what were looking for in trying to corral Josh Allen.

I don't that will take long. This is from Chenal's PFF draft profile.

Chenal is going to thrive in man blitz-heavy schemes. He packs a punch as a downhill player, as he can light up offensive linemen with ease. His 94.1 run-defense grade wasn't too far behind Micah Parsons' (94.8) PFF college record.

Parsons was also not particularly noted as a pass rusher coming out.

Speaking of PFF, they gave 16 steal grades in the first three rounds. The Chiefs had four of them, including Chenal. For comparison, the Ravens had three. We also got one for Kinnard. 

55 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I don't that will take long. This is from Chenal's PFF draft profile.

Chenal is going to thrive in man blitz-heavy schemes. He packs a punch as a downhill player, as he can light up offensive linemen with ease. His 94.1 run-defense grade wasn't too far behind Micah Parsons' (94.8) PFF college record.

Parsons was also not particularly noted as a pass rusher coming out.

Speaking of PFF, they gave 16 steal grades in the first three rounds. The Chiefs had four of them, including Chenal. For comparison, the Ravens had three. We also got one for Kinnard. 

I dont think Chenal is quite the athlete Parson is despite testing numbers. But i think hes a good pass rusher, and Spagz loves blitzing so Chenal is a match made in heaven for this defense.  

38 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I dont think Chenal is quite the athlete Parson is despite testing numbers. But i think hes a good pass rusher, and Spagz loves blitzing so Chenal is a match made in heaven for this defense.  

Here is the RAS comparison. Sizewise they are close. Chenal does not have Parsons' insane speed, but close. In agility and explosion Chenal is better. I can't get the card to load as image. 
https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=21440&p2=17412&pos=LB

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Think of it this way, at worst he replaces us trying to blitz Neimann or Sorenson playing LB…and he is SO much more violent.  If he gets used as a blitzer I can see him separating the ball from ball carriers well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Think of it this way, at worst he replaces us trying to blitz Neimann or Sorenson playing LB…and he is SO much more violent.  If he gets used as a blitzer I can see him separating the ball from ball carriers well.

I think replacing Niemann abd Sorensen is why they drafted Bryan Cook. 

By PFF stats he was #1 against the run and #2 as a blitzer among LB. The run defense is really good news but the problem is that pass rushing LB are usually rated as Edge, eg Jermaine Johnson, Drake Jackson. Still, they play to put him outside and he can come off the edge. He just hasn't yet.

3 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Yesh its a huge upgrade if all things go well, hes got the speed to out ball carriers down in a hurry 

Here's another article pointing at Karlaftis's motor. He's already powerful and still has physical development coming, but the snap to whistle mentality is what really sets him apart. Oldtime fans will remember that as Tamba Hali's calling card. 
https://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/31102/kansas-city-chiefs-first-round-defensive-end-george-karlaftis-is-relentless

34 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Here's another article pointing at Karlaftis's motor. He's already powerful and still has physical development coming, but the snap to whistle mentality is what really sets him apart. Oldtime fans will remember that as Tamba Hali's calling card. 
https://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/31102/kansas-city-chiefs-first-round-defensive-end-george-karlaftis-is-relentless

Jared Allen also comes to mind.

59 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Jared Allen also comes to mind.

If we found another Jared Allen this is going to be a hell of a draft. JA had the whole package--size, speed power, bend. Hali had very little in the way of tools but he never quit on a play.

Still, bringing up Allen is a fair point. Karlaftis has physical traits that are much better than Hali had. He has a chance to be somone special.

I’m just saying, when I think of non stop motor I think of Allen, whether we were up by 20 or down by 20 in the 4th quarter he was still busting his tail getting after it.  Dripping sweat, dripping sweat from that luxurious mullet.

We haven’t found another Allen, I’m that we drafted Allen to be a long snapper, take some reps on D and work special teams.  Instead we got a hall of fame player who’s character is bigger than life.

If GK produces half of what Allen did in his career we should all be really excited.