2K22 Rookies

onejayhawk

7 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Who would’ve thought a 7th round RB would be the best pick of the draft 13 weeks into the regular season 

I personally go with GK but I understand what you mean. 

McDuffie, GK, Cook, Williams, Watson, Pacheco have all contributed a lot. Skyy has his moments and Chenal is playing more as the year progresses. It's a very deep class. 

FWIW, McDuffie and Moore (only on offense, mind you) grade out as above average starters per PFF grades. They have Williams, Cook, Pacheco, and Chenal graded as fairly average. They have Karlaftis and Watson graded as subpar players (think bottom 20% of the league.)

Personally, I think McDuffie has been the best when you factor in everything. I've been impressed by Pacheco and Moore, especially athletically, there's just some polish things holding each back around consistency and turning the ball over. I think Williams, Cook, Chenal, and Watson are all solidly in the fine for rookies territory. Karlaftis is the one I disagree with, there. He's not on track to be like, a Bosa or anything like that, but I feel like so far he's looking on track for the comparisons he was getting pre-draft, Ryan Kerrigan, Trey Hendrickson, etc.

It has been a while since we ran through all of them.

Pick 21 Trent McDuffie CB - Washington Day #1 starter and already grading out above average at the position
Pick 30 George Karlaftis EDGE - Purdue Day #1 starter and among rookie leaders in sacks and pressures
Pick 54 Skyy Moore WR - Western Michigan Currently WR3. Mixed results but solid for a rookie 
Pick 62 Bryan Cook SAF - Cincinnati Firmly entrenched as third safety and plays all the ST
Pick 103 Leo Chenal LB - Wisconsin Clearly the 3rd LB but his PT is growing 
Pick 135 Joshua Williams CB - Fayetteville State University Sharing time at third CB. Has an Int and 6 PD
Pick 145 Darian Kinnard OL - Kentucky Clearly seen as OG. Has little PT behind Smith, Thuney, and Allegretti
Pick 243 Jaylen Watson CB - Washington State Sharing time at third CB. Has an Int and 6 PD 
Pick 251 Isiah Pacheco RB - Rutgers Leads team in yards rushing and is the primary KR. 
Pick 259 Nazeeh Johnson CB Marshall Started season on PS. Now on the 53. Exclusively ST so far.

It's a good and very deep class. So far it has not had the impact of last year's smaller class. Bolton, Humphrey, and Smith will make any draft class look good.

Edited by onejayhawk

• 2 weeks later...

May as well post it here as well, my rookie end of year review:

Trent McDuffie - He's done well when he's played. He's exceeded my expectations but I'll argue he still hasn't faced a legit WR corp yet; sans one game. His best competition faced so far is an injured Chargers WR corps, Rams w/o Kupp or Stafford, Bengals, and Seahawks w/o Lockett. Plenty to look forward too and I'm eager to see his development. B (mostly due to missing games)

George Karlaftis - He has put up similar/better stats to every DE taken over him with fewer snaps. He's efficient and continues to improve each week. He should be a starter for a long time. A-

Skyy Moore - Absolutely terrible when put at punt returner. He had 14 punt returns and 3 fumbles before being pulled. At WR, he had one or two games where you think it was starting to click but it's never materialized. At least 4 of Mahomes' INTs have been when targeting Moore as well. D

Bryan Cook - Good 3rd S who contributes on special teams as well. Looks like he could be a long term starting S with some growth. B

Leo Chenal - He's finally starting to get more snaps. He was used early on in coverage, which isn't his strong suit. Once we started using him to attack the LOS, plus his handle of the game improving, he's made a difference on game days. C+(need to see continued growth, which I expect)

Joshua Williams - Our number 4 CB who got more playing time than we ever would've thought and he's handled it really well. Still a lot to learn but he's exceeded expectations. B

Darian Kinnard - He keeps that bench extremely warm. Only 6 snaps total all year, all on special teams. F/Incomplete

Jaylen Watson - Our number 3 CB who has also exceeded expectations. I liked him coming out and thought he needed a year or two. He's shown that he's ready now with minimal rookie mistakes. B+

Isiah Pacheco - Struggled early on with his vision and patience. Both have gotten better. I still think he's overrated by the fan base but he isn't bad by any means. B-

Nazeeh Johnson - Started the season on the PS but is now on the 53 playing special teams. Hard to grade since he hasn't seen the field on defense. D/Incomplete

I have to disagree on a couple players.

Skyy Moore - While he did not step into the PR role, he has shown the talent they drafted. Given his lack of college coaching, significant problems with the learning curve are reasonable. He's starting to figure it out. C+

Darian Kinnard - Most predraft reviews on him said IOL. That is what has proven. Simply making the roster is a positive and he's Allegretti's potential replacement. C

Nazeeh Johnson - This is what a successful 7th round pick looks like. C 

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I have to disagree on a couple players.

Skyy Moore - While he did not step into the PR role, he has shown the talent they drafted. Given his lack of college coaching, significant problems with the learning curve are reasonable. He's starting to figure it out. C+

Darian Kinnard - Most predraft reviews on him said IOL. That is what has proven. Simply making the roster is a positive and he's Allegretti's potential replacement. C

Nazeeh Johnson - This is what a successful 7th round pick looks like. C 

Skyy had a two game stretch vs the LA teams where he had 10 catches for 99yds. Other than that, he's been quiet. His last 5 games have had a combined 5 catches for 45yds. On the season he's at 22 catches for 250yds. To compare against some other 2nd round rookies:

Wan'Dale Robinson: 23 catches for 227yds - only played in 6 games

Tyquan Thornton: 21 catches for 234yds - only played in 8 games (plus Pats can't draft a WR)

George Pickens: 49 catches for 729yds

Alec Pierce: 38 catches for 551yds

I'm starting to get myself on a 'we can't scout/draft WR' tangent, so I'll stop here.

Kinnard I will agree on. I just can't give him a C when he's only taken 6 snaps on special teams. But I also get why he won't see snaps. Which then leads me to question why he was drafted and did we really think he'd be an OT.

Agreed on Johnson meeting expectations for successful 7th round pick.

32 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Skyy had a two game stretch vs the LA teams where he had 10 catches for 99yds. Other than that, he's been quiet. His last 5 games have had a combined 5 catches for 45yds. On the season he's at 22 catches for 250yds. To compare against some other 2nd round rookies:

Wan'Dale Robinson: 23 catches for 227yds - only played in 6 games
Tyquan Thornton: 21 catches for 234yds - only played in 8 games (plus Pats can't draft a WR)
George Pickens: 49 catches for 729yds
Alec Pierce: 38 catches for 551yds

I'm starting to get myself on a 'we can't scout/draft WR' tangent, so I'll stop here.

Kinnard I will agree on. I just can't give him a C when he's only taken 6 snaps on special teams. But I also get why he won't see snaps. Which then leads me to question why he was drafted and did we really think he'd be an OT.

Agreed on Johnson meeting expectations for successful 7th round pick.

WR is hard to pick up and our system is notoriously difficult on top of that. After four years Mecole Hardman still has trouble. Also, Skyy's college training was not on the same level as some of the others. Hopefully he will be like Willie Gay and suddenly figure it out.

With Kinnard, it was likely several things. There was a chance he could play RT. Allegretti is nearing the end of his rookie deal. It couldhave been a BPA situation. I know that analytics guys loved it.

:D

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

WR is hard to pick up and our system is notoriously difficult on top of that. After four years Mecole Hardman still has trouble. Also, Skyy's college training was not on the same level as some of the others. Hopefully he will be like Willie Gay and suddenly figure it out.

With Kinnard, it was likely several things. There was a chance he could play RT. Allegretti is nearing the end of his rookie deal. It couldhave been a BPA situation. I know that analytics guys loved it.

:D

I think another year in this offense and Moore will be fine

Skyy is doing perfectly fine for a rookie,   just keep him off ST's.  

By Year 2 the player should be comfortable in the offense though.    Hardman struggling after 4 years is not a fault on the offense, but the player.   That's not an excuse to be used after a year and half in the league.

A comparison of all rookie Chiefs WR seasons under Andy Reid (rookie year || year two):

2022 2nd round Skyy Moore: 16 games 22 catches 250 yds 0 TD || TBD

2021 5th round Cornell Powell: 3 games 0 0 0 || 3 games 0 0 0

2019 2nd round Mecole Hardman: 16 games 26 catches 538 yds 6 TD || 16 games 41 catches 560 yds 4 TD

=== Above is where Veach became GM and Mahomes became starting QB ===

2017 4th round Jehu Chesson: 12 games 2 catches 18 yds 0 TD || 12 games 1 catch 7 yds 0 TD (year 2 w/ Washington)

2016 4th round Demarcus Robinson 16 games  0 0 0 || 16 games 21 catches 212 yds 0 TD

2016 5th round Tyreek Hill 16 games 61 catches 593 yds 6 TD || 75 catches 1183 yds 7 TD

2015 3rd round Chris Conley 16 games 17 catches 199 yds 1 TD || 16 games 44 catches 530 yds 0 TD

2015 7th round Da'Ron Brown 0 0 0 0 || 0 0 0 0

This should go with more of a discussion about our WR scouting being terrible. But in line with that, I see no reason to believe that Skyy will become a starting WR except for homerism and maybe a lack of bodies.