Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, Blink said:

Really loving this pick.  Nobody in realistic range for us was going to be a day one starter, I'm more than happy taking a homerun swing on a guy who if it all clicks will be the best WR in the class.  He's got the physical profile that if he figures it out very few guys in the league will be able to man up without safety help.

Two nice things is that unlike MVS you can use him right away in kick returns and the occasional sweep.  He's not just a speed and length guy, get the ball in his hands and he can not only make people miss but once he gets some daylight he's just not being caught.  Also it will be hilarious watching him and Lazard block on run downs...imagine being a CB and both sides of the field have 6'5 dudes looking to come downfield and put you in the dirt.

Not directed at you but the idea that he's MVS is just mindboggling. His stop and start is otherworldly. MVS is a strider, Watson is an explosion. He's a freak athlete and I'm not sure where the MVS stuff is coming from (again, not directed at you). He is MVS from day one. He's a Calvin Johnson level freak down the line. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Not directed at you but the idea that he's MVS is just mindboggling. His stop and start is otherworldly. MVS is a strider, Watson is an explosion. He's a freak athlete and I'm not sure where the MVS stuff is coming from (again, not directed at you). He is MVS from day one. He's a Calvin Johnson level freak down the line. 

That's what I am saying, the MVS comparison is on body type that's about it.  Watson isn't just a guy you have to send downfield and let him highpoint against smaller guys.  Given Aarons ability and MLFs scheme it's easy to imagine a multitude of ways where you can get the ball in his hands and let him take off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The comparison was simply due to the fact that if you wanted to line him up outside the numbers and run 9 routes or deep posts all day, you could. 

1 minute ago, Blink said:

That's what I am saying, the MVS comparison is on body type that's about it.  Watson isn't just a guy you have to send downfield and let him highpoint against smaller guys.  Given Aarons ability and MLFs scheme it's easy to imagine a multitude of ways where you can get the ball in his hands and let him take off.

Yep. I don't care how raw he is as a route runner. He's the type of guy that you just get him the ball in space and let him work his magic.

I was a fool...a FOOL...for not doing my homework on this kid. I spent so much time looking at Olave, Burks, Pickens, Pierce, etc and I feel ******* dumb right now.

• Like 2

I disregarded Watson somewhat early on, but the more I learned about the other prospects, the cleaner Watson looked. Between the injuries, red flags, and physical thresholds, Watson looked better and better. One of very few from this class that could be a legit #1 if he hits. There is some risk, but no more than most of the others and Watson's upside is much higher than most IMO. Those that are pissed it wasn't Pierce need to look again.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yep. I don't care how raw he is as a route runner. He's the type of guy that you just get him the ball in space and let him work his magic.

I was a fool...a FOOL...for not doing my homework on this kid. I spent so much time looking at Olave, Burks, Pickens, Pierce, etc and I feel ******* dumb right now.

I've been wrong so many times over the years that I basically do a once over on the likely suspects then just ignore it until we actually grab somebody...got tired of falling in love with or spending time on prospects we weren't going to land.

Yeah the Olave and Burks type might be better pure WRs on day one but if they all hit their potential Watson is far and away the best WR in the class IMO.  Luckily for us he's not the typical project boom or bust guy, he's got day one ability to contribute by being a beast with the ball in his hands.  I don't know if there's a current QB/Coach combo I trust more to find ways to get him involved early.

• Like 1

Just now, Blink said:

I've been wrong so many times over the years that I basically do a once over on the likely suspects then just ignore it until we actually grab somebody...got tired of falling in love with or spending time on prospects we weren't going to land.

Yeah the Olave and Burks type might be better pure WRs on day one but if they all hit their potential Watson is far and away the best WR in the class IMO.  Luckily for us he's not the typical project boom or bust guy, he's got day one ability to contribute by being a beast with the ball in his hands.  I don't know if there's a current QB/Coach combo I trust more to find ways to get him involved early.

I'm guilty of falling in love with my guys so I spend less time elsewhere. I'm going to have to shake that because that's how you miss guys like this. In fact, I may be better of just waiting and letting Gute lead the way and then try to dig in and see what he sees. This kid is special and I'm not sure how he fell to the 2nd. This is where looking at flaws over strengths can bite you in the ***.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Huge closet NDSU fan, no chance they're a top 25 FBS team. Maybe for short periods. They get some damn recruits though. 

There's a reason they don't jump. They know exactly what they're doing. Win almost they year, or be a maybe mid tier B1G. And I'm not sure they'd even let them in. But yeah they do beat FBS teams and now it seems like they shy from scheduling them. 

There's a lot of years over the last 11 where they would likely be a top 25 FBS team--especially the years they had NFL QBs (Wentz, Stick, and Lance). They've won like 7 games in a row against FBS teams--all on the road. The list includes Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Kansas State, Kansas, and Colorado. It's not Alabama or Georgia, but it's all power 5 teams. Iowa and Kansas State were top 25 teams.