Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

13 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

Especially since NDSU would likely be a top 25 FBS team many years recently. They’ve won like their last 7 games against FBS teams, all on the road. Some of the teams they’ve beaten are Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, and Minnesota twice.

That does make me wonder why they don’t schedule FBS teams more often. I’d think they have at least 1 such game each year, since they are clearly on the cusp of FBS, as far as ability goes, and are the top of FCS. I think the last was 6yr ago. 

3 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

That does make me wonder why they don’t schedule FBS teams more often. I’d think they have at least 1 such game each year, since they are clearly on the cusp of FBS, as far as ability goes, and are the top of FCS. I think the last was 6yr ago. 

They try. People have stopped scheduling them. They were supposed to play Oregon in 2020 with Trey Lance at QB, but COVID ruined that.

I see the Oregon game was rescheduled and they have games against Arizona and Colorado coming up.

Edited by TheEagle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheEagle said:

They try. People have stopped scheduling them. They were supposed to play Oregon in 2020 with Trey Lance at QB, but COVID ruined that.

Yea, I assume most FBS-FCS matchups in college athletics happen due to the FBS team wanting an easy win for a homecoming game or something (UTEP has 1 or 2 FCS every year). & there are fewer teams that are sufficiently high enough above NDSU that they would not be worried about an upset, which might dock those teams in the eyes of Bowl committees. Lots of risk and not much reward. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

I see the Oregon game was rescheduled and they have games against Arizona and Colorado coming up.

COVID ruined a game I was really looking forward to when the Oregon game was cancelled. That NDSU team that year was a legit team lead by Lance. But they have a few games scheduled now with Arizona this fall and Colorado next fall. Their previous AD tried to have an FBS game scheduled every other year but due to their own success those games became much harder to schedule. The K State AD even admitted before they played he regretted scheduling game but that game was scheduled 5 years before the game was played 

I admit I'm a gullible Gute-truster.   

Gute goes with his board; the only way he makes this move is because he really, really loves Watson for the Packers.  I'm OK to trust Gute believed that for logical and informed and thorough scouting reasons.  He had Watson at a different level, so he acted accordingly.

Watson has an opportunity to be really good.  The personality and intelligence allow it.  The NFL is a place for smart guys, and I think he's got the intelligence.  The motivation allows it; he wants to be good and I think he's a hard worker who'll be all in.  The athleticism allows it.  He's long and he's fast and he's got the big hands.  But he's also flexible; I don't think he's the straight-speed guy like EQ who was relatively easy for a corner to mirror.  I also suspect that the "raw D2" concept may be a little bit shallow.  NDSU has a really good coaching staff. 

The MVS analogy applies in that he's fast like that and long like that.  But I'm thinking he's much more coordinated, with body control.  

• Like 3

I also think it's interesting that after all the mockery that so many posters had for posters who thought that getting a good WR was a priority, that then Gute just went up and traded seriously to get one, because he apparently thought it was a priority and had reasonable-enough positional value, too.  

Heh heh, for everybody who made snarky comments about how unsophisticated posters were who thought WR was an important issue, Gute's action perhaps suggests we're no less sophisticated than Gute!  :):) 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ROBOKOP said:

So Packers gave up 680 in value in exchange for 560?  Does that sound right?

According to one trade chart, yes. Which is only a rough guide. One that gets recalculated frequently based on actual trades. It also varies by year/draft class and by the teams involved and the position involved in the trade-up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEagle said:

Especially since NDSU would likely be a top 25 FBS team many years recently. They’ve won like their last 7 games against FBS teams, all on the road. Some of the teams they’ve beaten are Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, and Minnesota twice.

Edited by gopackgo972

1 hour ago, craig said:

The MVS analogy applies in that he's fast like that and long like that.  But I'm thinking he's much more coordinated, with body control.  

Yeah they are completely different players with the ball in their hands.  I appreciate all MVS did for us but Watson is an entirely different animal.  That dude is a threat to house it if he gets any daylight at all, difference is he's a whole lot more elusive than MVS and can make people miss in the open field.  His run blocking is going to be key as well IMO.  Gonna have two 6'5ish guys going downhill looking to smash DBs in the run game