Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

2 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Tremendous athlete.  Big, fast, quick with flex.  The only negatives was D2 level of competition and wasn’t he high on the list of receivers with the dropsies?  
The Vikes got overpaid on this one, Gute must know more than most.  

I don't want to be that guy but this is a pet peeve of mine. As was briefly discussed with Norm earlier in this thread there is a massive difference between FCS and D2. Also I think his 1v1 reps at the senior bowl eased the level of competition worries. 

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

have to imagine our staff loved Watson to give up two 2nds to our biggest division rival to get him

they got their guy

Seeing they offered the same package for 32. Vikings didnt want to give the 5th year option.

Here it is. whoever this writer is. who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Tile in the living room covere by a huge rug. idk.. a little bland.

Is the blue starfish like a blue waffle. What kind of character we got here.

Foosball table in the entry way gives me lake cabin vibes.

What. The fact you even noticed those things is hilarious. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's stupid.  If Watson is good, they'll extend him well before then.

It does add a bargaining chip, but like you said, only a dumb would see wanting to pick up his second contract as a trap. 

Hope he was worth the capital, to the Vikes no less who’ve been sleeping their way around the division. 

Edited by Refugee

They certainly paid a premium. Equivalent of a late 3rd above the typical compensation for such a move. But they were always going to be backed into a bit of a corner, & have to pay a premium in one way or the other. FA’s would probably charge a heavy price, knowing their lack of other WR’s on the depth chart & the Rodgers window. & trade partners shopping current NFL wr’s would charge a premium knowing the same. & on top of that, trading with a division rival. GB must have felt there was a big tier drop after him and that he could go very early in the 2nd if they tried to get cute and trade up to a lower spot. 

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

It does add a bargaining chip, but like you said, only a dumb would see wanting to pick up his second contract as a trap. 

Hope he was worth the capital, to the Vikes no less who’ve been sleeping their way around the division. 

I mean, you run the risk of getting a "too good to be true" offer disappearing.  Mediocre franchises worry about other franchises.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I don't want to be that guy but this is a pet peeve of mine. As was briefly discussed with Norm earlier in this thread there is a massive difference between FCS and D2. Also I think his 1v1 reps at the senior bowl eased the level of competition worries. 

Especially since NDSU would likely be a top 25 FBS team many years recently. They’ve won like their last 7 games against FBS teams, all on the road. Some of the teams they’ve beaten are Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, and Minnesota twice.

Edited by TheEagle
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

Especially since NDSU would likely be a top 25 FBS team many years recently. They’ve won like their last 7 games against FBS teams, all on the road. Some of the teams they’ve beaten are Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, and Minnesota twice.

Yea they are on a different level than the rest of the FCS as well. NDSU is basically the reason the Big Ten has virtually eliminated playing FCS teams.