Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Just baffling we're saying the man with the best 10 yard split in the draft won't create separation.

Let's critically think that through once....

What he's saying is backwards for the times he's posting. He's saying he's explosive but not as fast at top end but he's just going to beat vertical guy who can't get open in the shorter to intermediate routes where the times he's posted a bunch say he should thrive athletically. 

I told you what this guy was last week...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norm said:

What he's saying is backwards for the times he's posting. He's saying he's explosive but not as fast at top end but he's just going to beat vertical guy who can't get open in the shorter to intermediate routes where the times he's posted a bunch say he should thrive athletically. 

I told you what this guy was last week...

He compared him to Jeff Janis. Nuff said

• Like 1

Heh heh, Watson is a 2nd rounder and the 7th receiver selected.  I don't think the projection that he'll be very good and productive and perhaps a thousand-yard guy, but probably will not be a flawless #1 superstar receiver is really that outrageous.  :):).   Most 2nd-rounders don't become flawless superstars. 

Don't think we're wise if we end up being disappointed that he doesn't develop into Chase or Moss or Julio or Megatron or even Jefferson or Diggs.   

40 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

That's the problem. He says stuff like that, catches crap and then walks it back like he was being reasonable the entire time.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, craig said:

Heh heh, Watson is a 2nd rounder and the 7th receiver selected.  I don't think the projection that he'll be very good and productive and perhaps a thousand-yard guy, but probably will not be a flawless #1 superstar receiver is really that outrageous.  :):).   Most 2nd-rounders don't become flawless superstars. 

Don't think we're wise if we end up being disappointed that he doesn't develop into Chase or Moss or Julio or Megatron or even Jefferson or Diggs.   

I don't think anyone is expecting the second paragraph. It's just we don't really know what his limitations might be, yet. That's true for a lot of draft picks...

1 hour ago, PackFan13 said:

I'm going to say something controversial - I hope the kid wins OROY while making Gute, Rodgers and LaFleur all look better and vise versa.

You kiss your mother with that mouth?

• Like 1

Absolutely.  We don't know what the limitations are or will end up being, totally agree.  So the argument that "he can't become a #1 because he can't do X, Y, Z", I don't think we know what the X, Y, Z limits might actuall be.  

But yeah, being a #1 receiver isn't easy, depending on how you define that.  I think we'd often figure that not every team really has a true "#1" receiver.  The 2022 Packers, maybe Cobb or Lazard are the best we've got, but nobody views them as the prototype "#1".  

Adams; Kupp; Deebo; Jefferson; Chase; Diggs; Hopkins; Tyreek.... I think those are the kinds of studs that most people have in mind when they say "#1 receiver."  It's possible, but it isn't likely that Watson is ever going to be in class with those kinds of players.  

To perhaps end up in class with Michael Pittman and Amon-Ra St. Brown and Devota Smith, that might be a little more accessible.  

3 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I agree. Who the hell does he think he is comparing anyone to Jeff Janis's greatness?

Only ones allowed compared to Jeff is Jody and Kumerow. Maaaaybe Brett Swain because of their similar playing styles. 

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Just baffling we're saying the man with the best 10 yard split in the draft won't create separation.

Let's critically think that through once....

10 yard split is a straight line. No it doesn’t equate to winning on lateral breaks. That’s the biggest difference I have in my view of him and ya’alls. 

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I agree. Who the hell does he think he is comparing anyone to Jeff Janis's greatness?

Only ones allowed compared to Jeff is Jody and Kumerow. Maaaaybe Brett Swain because of their similar playing styles. 

Kumerow>

7 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

10 yard split is a straight line. No it doesn’t equate to winning on lateral breaks. That’s the biggest difference I have in my view of him and ya’alls. 

42acf16b9dc191df011ff6bba440937a_crop_ex

How many routes have a lateral break? Don't run him on those routes. Boom. Problem solved.