Round 3 Pick 92; Sean Rhyan OL, UCLA

Packerraymond

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Week 9-16 PFF scores

Player A: 66.4, 43.4, 64.5, 53.8, 56, 47.5, 44.8, 64.4 (50.4 overall offensive grade)

Player B:  42.3, 60.1, 46.7, 54.4, 65, 66.6, 52.2, 53.6 (55.1 overall offensive grade)

Player A is Rhyan.

Player B is JRJ.

Using your own test via PFF, you were wrong.

His pom pom waiving may block his vision from time to time. 

On 1/2/2024 at 8:52 AM, vegas492 said:

I watched Rhyan enough when he was in there.  JRJ was better, IMO.

And the coaching staff doesn't seem to agree.  They've been splitting snaps nearly in half for the last 3 weeks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And the coaching staff doesn't seem to agree.  They've been splitting snaps nearly in half for the last 3 weeks.

You aren't getting it.  And that is fine.

There is no discernable difference in the offense when JRJ is in there or Rhyan is in there.

If you want to split hairs, the PFF scores, which Old Man brought into this, clearly show that JRJ is performing better.

So far as to why they are splitting snaps?  I'd offer up this as an explanation.  If there is no real difference in the play of the line between both of them, keep rotating them.  JRJ is likely gone next year, and Rhyan is the starter by default.  Might as well get him some reps.  Could also be that JRJ plays better when he's spelled some.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

There is no discernable difference in the offense when JRJ is in there or Rhyan is in there.

If you want to split hairs, the PFF scores, which Old Man brought into this, clearly show that JRJ is performing better.

So far as to why they are splitting snaps?  I'd offer up this as an explanation.  If there is no real difference in the play of the line between both of them, keep rotating them.  JRJ is likely gone next year, and Rhyan is the starter by default.  Might as well get him some reps.  Could also be that JRJ plays better when he's spelled some.

JRJ leaves after this season and GB drafts another Jenkins to compete with Rhyan.  Works for me.

• Like 2

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

JRJ leaves after this season and GB drafts another Jenkins to compete with Rhyan.  Works for me.

Kind of like what you said in a different thread.

We are seeing that the offense works with both Walker and Rhyan.

While OL is a need, it may not be the pressing need as we thought it would be a few weeks ago.

So yeah, draft some o-linemen when value meets the pick.

But I'm very, very happy that Rhyan is showing that he can in fact, play.  And thrilled that Walker is showing that as well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

the best piece of evidence we have regarding their performance is their snap count IMO

Likely they have different strengths and weaknesses as well and our staff tries to both:

(1) maximize their relative strengths without

(2) tipping play calling tendencies 

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Kind of like what you said in a different thread.

We are seeing that the offense works with both Walker and Rhyan.

While OL is a need, it may not be the pressing need as we thought it would be a few weeks ago.

So yeah, draft some o-linemen when value meets the pick.

But I'm very, very happy that Rhyan is showing that he can in fact, play.  And thrilled that Walker is showing that as well.

I am much less worried about OT than I was 3 months ago.  Walker and Tom might be the starting OT's for the next 6-8 years.  Keep bringing in the developmental behind those two, and history suggests one of them will probably hit. 

With the way this season has played out, I think I'd rather see an early pick spent at IOL vs OT.  Then use day 3 pick(s) on OL that will need more time to develop.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am much less worried about OT than I was 3 months ago.  Walker and Tom might be the starting OT's for the next 6-8 years.  Keep bringing in the developmental behind those two, and history suggests one of them will probably hit. 

With the way this season has played out, I think I'd rather see an early pick spent at IOL vs OT.  Then use day 3 pick(s) on OL that will need more time to develop.

I have a feeling Walker will be our swing tackle in '24. For some reason I think Bakh makes it back. He's eyeballing the HOF. He's a 5x All-Pro. He's motivated to get healthy I believe. A SB ring after another great season for him might get him into the HOF.

I also know that anything from him would be a big bonus and we can't plan on that happening. But even w/ Walker and Tom, I like our OTs better than our IOL at this point as well.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I think they've come to the conclusion that Runyan has hit his ceiling. They're hoping that Rhyan, who seems to be the more explosive athlete, has more potential. But he hasn't consistently shown it yet, or he probably would be starting over Runyan. 

• Like 1

K.  So I'm doing some digging in PFF, since that is what we have to look at.

Lots of theories concerning why the Packers are playing both JRJ and Rhyan roughly the same amount of snaps over the last 9 games.

Looking at weeks 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 for them both.  Snaps counts are very, very close.

Offensive score/pass block score/run block score

Runyan / Rhyan

9) 42.3/29.9/59.3        /         66.4/75.9/63.9

11) 54.9/79.3/43.3     /           43.4/0/69

12) 46.7/57/7/53.2     /           64.5/82.6/57.8

13)  54.4/29.7/61.3     /           53.8/30/60

14)  65/82.8/56.7      /             56/81.7/54.8

15)  66.6/85.1/59.4    /             47.5/34.8/53.5

16)  52.2/23/60.4     /               44.8/60.3/43.2

17)  53.6/62.4/50.7     /             64.4/62.5/62.8

Snap counts total / pass block / run block  

Runyan / Rhyan

65 / 31 / 34              15 / 2/ 13

68 / 46/ 22                0/0/0

66 / 40/ 26                6/ 4/ 2

43 / 25 / 18                 13/ 10/ 3

57 / 34 / 23                7/ 6/ 1 

56 / 32 / 24                12/10/ 2 

31 / 17 / 14                 29/ 26/ 3 

33 / 18 / 15                  33/ 15 / 18

42/ 21 / 21                   39 / 16/ 23

Anyone see a pattern?  

Runyan's overall score is 61.6 during this timeframe.

Runyan's overall score when not timesharing is 57.57.

Neither one has popped with great run scoring.  Both have popped with some pass scoring.

37 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I think they've come to the conclusion that Runyan has hit his ceiling. They're hoping that Rhyan, who seems to be the more explosive athlete, has more potential. But he hasn't consistently shown it yet, or he probably would be starting over Runyan. 

I think that you are right on all counts.

The byproduct of the time share has been better play by Runyan, for whatever that reason is.  PFF has him 5 full points better during the timeshare than when he was getting every snap.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I want to see us draft a LT, G, and C.  I think we could use an upgrade at several positions.  Myers was seemingly coming around a bit, but his grades of late stink.  We need better there.  Maybe he can compete for a guard spot next year if we acquire a better C.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think that you are right on all counts.

The byproduct of the time share has been better play by Runyan, for whatever that reason is.  PFF has him 5 full points better during the timeshare than when he was getting every snap.

He stinks .. we need a major upgrade.  Not sure Rhyan is that guy, but he seems to be able to move people at least.

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He stinks .. we need a major upgrade.  Not sure Rhyan is that guy, but he seems to be able to move people at least.

As it stands today, the offense works just fine with either one of them.

Rhyan is likely the guy at RG next year.  And hopefully there is more ceiling there.

But I really hope we bring in someone via FA or draft to compete for that spot.

Cuz, yes, we should want to be better there.  

• Like 1