Green Bay's Valuations of Draft Picks and Christian Watson

VicPez

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Absolutely zero chance GB had any interest in moving a 1st for Brown

You have a few here that believe different, and you will probably hear from them when they take a break from trying to convince people that Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster are the real deal. 

17 minutes ago, R T said:

Someday the Packers will have a change in offensive scheme, and it just might include smallish WR's working fine in it, at that point those obsessed will little people will be singing 'I told you so'. Until then people can dream I guess.       

Only kind of.  This is the team that drafted Amari Rodgers last year in the 3rd round.

My guess is that we prefer bigger WR's.  But we are not totally opposed to smaller ones, the value for the pick just needs to be there.

I feel like we were "in" on Brown.  We probably did get a call when they were shopping him and we were interested.  But like in the draft, we prefer bigger guys, so I'll bet our offer was no where near close to what Brown went for.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Only kind of.  This is the team that drafted Amari Rodgers last year in the 3rd round.

My guess is that we prefer bigger WR's.  But we are not totally opposed to smaller ones, the value for the pick just needs to be there.

I feel like we were "in" on Brown.  We probably did get a call when they were shopping him and we were interested.  But like in the draft, we prefer bigger guys, so I'll bet our offer was no where near close to what Brown went for.

This has only been addressed a dozen times in the last couple of months, but Amari Rodgers is 212-pounds. He is not a small man.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, R T said:

This has only been addressed a dozen times in the last couple of months, but Amari Rodgers is 212-pounds. He is not a small man.   

He's also 5'9''.  He's short.  Okay, maybe 5'9.5''.  Again, short.  But you are right, he's not short AND light.  

54 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Absolutely zero chance GB had any interest in moving a 1st for Brown

I'm not even sure why the Cardinals were interested.  He has not exactly shown himself to be a quality NFL player.  I guess there's the "appease Kyler Murray" angle, but I wouldn't have traded a 3rd for Hollywood personally.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm not even sure why the Cardinals were interested.  He has not exactly shown himself to be a quality NFL player.  I guess there's the "appease Kyler Murray" angle, but I wouldn't have traded a 3rd for Hollywood personally.

And Nuk got hit with the suspension which they knew about before it came out. Still not great but helps it make sense

1 hour ago, R T said:

That pretty much nails it, but those in denial will cling to their little man dreams as long as possible. 

What is strange about the WR thing is that it doesn't carry over to other position to this extreme. Most have come to grips with what they are looking for with OL and except it for what it is. People aren't screaming every year that they need to draft some 390-pound, slow footed OL. It took a few years for some to except the change in Edge types, but now for the most part people understand. 

Someday the Packers will have a change in offensive scheme, and it just might include smallish WR's working fine in it, at that point those obsessed will little people will be singing 'I told you so'. Until then people can dream I guess.       

LOL - condescension! (*DRINK!*)

This is all the EXACT same **** you've been spewing all offseason before they drafted an ILB at #22, a 24 yr old at 28 and traded two premium picks for a dandelion.  All of which you declared with as much certainty as this condescending (*drink*) crap was never going to happen and people will never learn and were dead wrong.   Then a small WR actually states the Packers were in on him, and you cling to conspiracy theories to give yourself a lifeline.  People aren't even "obsessing" over him - just mentioning the Packers interest.   Cling to what you can I guess.   I'll give you a pass though, you've stopped bringing up Mark Murphy as the devil in every thread so still signs you're getting all growns up 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, R T said:

That pretty much nails it, but those in denial will cling to their little man dreams as long as possible. 

What is strange about the WR thing is that it doesn't carry over to other position to this extreme. Most have come to grips with what they are looking for with OL and except it for what it is. People aren't screaming every year that they need to draft some 390-pound, slow footed OL. It took a few years for some to except the change in Edge types, but now for the most part people understand. 

Do you think we pass on Olave at 22 if he makes it?

I have my doubts. Don't really have a side but I don't think it would have been out of the question.

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

This is all the EXACT same **** you've been spewing all offseason before they drafted an ILB at #22, a 24 yr old at 28 and traded two premium picks for a dandelion.  All of which you declared with as much certainty as this condescending (*drink*) crap was never going to happen and people will never learn and were dead wrong.   Then a small WR actually states the Packers were in on him, and you cling to conspiracy theories to give yourself a lifeline.  People aren't even "obsessing" over him - just mentioning the Packers interest.   Cling to what you can I guess.   I'll give you a pass though, you've stopped bringing up Mark Murphy as the devil in every thread so still signs you're getting all growns up 

I'm guessing you two have a history lol

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

Do you think we pass on Olave at 22 if he makes it?

I have my doubts. Don't really have a side but I don't think it would have been out of the question.

I don't think it can be completely ruled out at 22, but I think it is very doubtful. The job of playing football is no different than any other job, if you are hiring someone why wouldn't you hire the person that best fits the task you are asking them to do rather than the person that does 75% of the tasks well. The Packers had an ideal for the position and they drafted him in Watson, it was not the 75% guy Olave.   

13 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Haha, that's funny. When you have nothing else veer off course with mindless drivel. Nicely done.  

6 minutes ago, R T said:

I don't think it can be completely ruled out at 22, but I think it is very doubtful. The job of playing football is no different than any other job, if you are hiring someone why wouldn't you hire the person that best fits the task you are asking them to do rather than the person that does 75% of the tasks well. The Packers had an ideal for the position and they drafted him in Watson, it was not the 75% guy Olave.   

Yet there are reports out there saying that GB tried trading up but the ask was too much?  (Could be smoke, but I doubt it, as I think it was Gute who said it.)

They certainly were not calling about Johnson.

Doubt that they were calling about Walker.

I'll bet they were calling about moving up for a WR.  Which one?  That's the debate.

1 minute ago, R T said:

Haha, that's funny. When you have nothing else veer off course with mindless drivel. Nicely done.  

Ah the deflection, someone doesn't like it when it's turned back on them and they get called out on being so condescending (*drink*) while being so wrong.    Keep posting, make good points and stop trying to be an ***.  Not hard.

17 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Ah the deflection, someone doesn't like it when it's turned back on them and they get called out on being so condescending (*drink*) while being so wrong.    Keep posting, make good points and stop trying to be an ***.  Not hard.

Whatever, if you have issues with me posting just put me on ignore. Not hard.  

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yet there are reports out there saying that GB tried trading up but the ask was too much?  (Could be smoke, but I doubt it, as I think it was Gute who said it.)

They certainly were not calling about Johnson.

Doubt that they were calling about Walker.

I'll bet they were calling about moving up for a WR.  Which one?  That's the debate.

If you're playing poker and someone believes you have one thing and folds and you win the hand, do you show your cards? If people are out there running down empty rabbit holes and assuming he wanted to trade up for a WR, is it wise for Gutes to continue to let those people bump around in the dark or should he tell them what his plans were? Gutes said he made calls, that was it. If he said that he hadn't the media would have killed him far worse than they did anyways.