Green Bay's Valuations of Draft Picks and Christian Watson

VicPez

26 minutes ago, R T said:

My response was to someone claiming he didn't have a trade partner to start with, which I think is nonsense. But is it also not possible that after the top 8 or so blue-chip prospects that the Packers didn't see much difference in the next 20 or so players? And for that reason, why would they give up draft capital to move up for a player viewed as equal value as players available without moving. And with Gutes being as traits based in his decision making as he is, isn't it possible that he actually had Watson rated higher on his WR board than the group of Wilson, Olave, Williams, Dotson, Burks?

It's all speculation on everyone's part, but actions speak fairly loudly when people listen.   

Entirely possible. I obviously know that's what you're trying to get at all with all this. 

I'm also not 100% convinced her turned his nose up at all of them either but I get your logic certainly

50 minutes ago, Norm said:

Entirely possible. I obviously know that's what you're trying to get at all with all this. 

I'm also not 100% convinced her turned his nose up at all of them either but I get your logic certainly

“That’s the most important thing. Certainly, at this level, there’s kind of a certain amount of athletic traits you have to have. Those of you who have been around here, whether it’s Ron (Wolf), Ted (Thompson), the way we’ve been trained – it probably goes all the way back to the Al Davis days with the Raiders – size and speed is important to us. Certainly, I think that’s a reflection of some of the guys we’ve took the past couple days.” Gutekunst said last week.

I think that the valuation of the draft is made perfectly and incontrovertibly clear by how it fell.

There may have been WRs the Packers would have picked at 22, or a bit earlier with a trade if they had made it past #12. We can't know who they were, but we can surmise. I can't get behind the idea of trading Walker and Wynn for Olave or London or Wilson or Williams. Neither could the Packers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, R T said:

“That’s the most important thing. Certainly, at this level, there’s kind of a certain amount of athletic traits you have to have. Those of you who have been around here, whether it’s Ron (Wolf), Ted (Thompson), the way we’ve been trained – it probably goes all the way back to the Al Davis days with the Raiders – size and speed is important to us. Certainly, I think that’s a reflection of some of the guys we’ve took the past couple days.” Gutekunst said last week.

I always forget that Wolf was a Raiders product.  And it does make a lot of sense.  We always take the most athletic guys that we can.  As did Al Davis.  Where we seem to differ from Davis is that he seemed to be more emotional, and locked on certain guys and would probably jump the board.

47 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I always forget that Wolf was a Raiders product.  And it does make a lot of sense.  We always take the most athletic guys that we can.  As did Al Davis.  Where we seem to differ from Davis is that he seemed to be more emotional, and locked on certain guys and would probably jump the board.

People forget how ******* great of a front office guy Davis was before the booze, syphilis, and dementia rotted his brain 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

I think that the valuation of the draft is made perfectly and incontrovertibly clear by how it fell.

There may have been WRs the Packers would have picked at 22, or a bit earlier with a trade if they had made it past #12. We can't know who they were, but we can surmise. I can't get behind the idea of trading Walker and Wynn for Olave or London or Wilson or Williams. Neither could the Packers.

This is where I'm at with it. 

I understand the they probably didn't want those smaller dudes but maybe the "era" we're in with Aaron changes that if they think they can put up legit yards early, even if they aren't a perfect fit for what we typically want. But we've kind of beat this to death and done circles for a while on it now

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

People forget how ******* great of a front office guy Davis was before the booze, syphilis, and dementia rotted his brain 

That is true.  Isn't he like the only modern owner that was really a football guy? 

I guess Jerry Jones played for the 1863 Arkansas team, but he only made it because most guys were fighting in the Civil War.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, R T said:

Gutes has had no problem paying over the trade chart value for a player he has wanted, he has done it twice in the last 2 years.

I definitely wouldn't say that Gute overpaid when he traded up for Amari Rodgers.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is true.  Isn't he like the only modern owner that was really a football guy? 

I guess Jerry Jones played for the 1863 Arkansas team, but he only made it because most guys were fighting in the Civil War.

lolol I skipped over the 1863 while reading the first time and was like wait what, and had to go back. It's so hard to imagine him playing like after seeing him as an older dude. 

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

I would say that giving up a gum wrapper was overpaying.  Those things have metal foil on them.

I liked the pick at the time but he hasn't done anything. I'll defend him a bit and say he just never looked comfortable so maybe that will come with some time. 

Just now, Norm said:

I liked the pick at the time but he hasn't done anything. I'll defend him a bit and say he just never looked comfortable so maybe that will come with some time. 

Oh, I absolutely agree.  But if we are going to debate whether Jordan Love is a bust, we have to call it fair.  Amari puts a sophomore season in like his rookie year, I don't want to see him ever again.  And to be honest, I am more excited for Toure at this moment.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Oh, I absolutely agree.  But if we are going to debate whether Jordan Love is a bust, we have to call it fair.  Amari puts a sophomore season in like his rookie year, I don't want to see him ever again.  And to be honest, I am more excited for Toure at this moment.

Toure is interesting as ****. I knew who he was because one of my good football watching buddies is a huge Cornhusker fan and I swear it's all he knows for college but he had to go out of his way to tell me about him the other day and try to show me some video and ****. He seemed to like him. 

Could be one of those late guys who can produce a bit early if ya need it