Round 4 Pick 140; Zach Tom, OL, Wake Forest

Packerraymond

Tom's arm length is exactly the Same as Bulaga's. Bulaga was an inch taller. So Tom has Bakhtiari's height and Bulaga's arm length. I remember McCarthy being asked if Bulaga's arms were long enough to play Tackle. McCarthy said he's never seen a guy who couldn't play Tackle because his arms were too short, but he has seen guys who couldn't play Tackle because their footwork wasn't good enough. In that video against Jermaine Johnson, Tom's footwork looks very good.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

He's definitely a better option for backup center that Jake Hanson and probably Lucas Patrick.

This was my take. Back up center is a roster lock. This pus Hanson on notice that he could be back to the PS. Hope the best man wins. 

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

I think Cole stays and Hanson may stick until Jenkins is back. Rasheed Walker heads to PS for a year. 

I think it's Walker on the roster (we need a legit backup tackle) with Tom focusing on C to start the year and Rhyan starting at LG. Cole is o-lineman #9 until Jenkins is back and Hanson can sell concessions or scan tickets at the gate.

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Tom's arm length is exactly the Same as Bulaga's. Bulaga was an inch taller. So Tom has Bakhtiari's height and Bulaga's arm length. I remember McCarthy being asked if Bulaga's arms were long enough to play Tackle. McCarthy said he's never seen a guy who couldn't play Tackle because his arms were too short, but he has seen guys who couldn't play Tackle because their footwork wasn't good enough. In that video against Jermaine Johnson, Tom's footwork looks very good.

He can become Bakh 2.0. David was light and lacked strength but had good feet and mirroring technique.

Tom could develop into a great LT like Bakh. Hopefully he has time to get stronger and seasoned before getting thrown into playing a game at LT though. 

Dunno if this has been posted already, but did anyone else watch Brett Kollman's positional rankings and see that he had Zach Tom rated as a 1st-round pick? He had him in the OT group as the first guy in tier 2 (tier 1 was Cross, Neal, Ekwonu).

Video starts at 7:11 —

Starting to finally catch up on this class, especially OL. This guy has great movement skills, like maybe elite. Let’s see what he can do as far as building his body for this level and keeping his foot speed but he has traits that you rarely find in big men. Part of that is because he’s not that big but as the initial report started, he plays with strength even if he doesn’t yet have the mass to be a steamroller on Sundays. Like everything I’m seeing except his number. 

Sorry, can’t get the single tweet but 50...