Round 4 Pick 140; Zach Tom, OL, Wake Forest

Packerraymond

Like the Packers have (under TT and Gute) missed on OL more often in the first round (Sherrod was a miss; Bulaga was a hit, 50%), the second round (Spriggs was a miss; Jenkins a big hit, Colledge a hit, jury's out on Myers), and the third round (Spitz is the lone 3rd round OL pick before Rhyan) than they have in the 4th.

Round 5 is up and down with Linsley a big hit, Madison a big miss, with Newhouse and Giacomini having respectable careers but, Tony Moll and Junius Coston didn't amount to much.

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Like the Packers have (under TT and Gute) missed on OL more often in the first round (Sherrod was a miss; Bulaga was a hit, 50%), the second round (Spriggs was a miss; Jenkins a big hit, Colledge a hit, jury's out on Myers), and the third round (Spitz is the lone 3rd round OL pick before Rhyan) than they have in the 4th.

Round 5 is up and down with Linsley a big hit, Madison a big miss, with Newhouse and Giacomini having respectable careers but, Tony Moll and Junius Coston didn't amount to much.

In round 5, he only got a pro bowl Center, and two long term starters out of 6 picks. 

This strikes me as a totally reasonable standard to hold people too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Bakhtiari wasn't as strong as he needed to be when he was drafted. In the 4th round.

J.C. Tretter was drafted in the 4th round.

T.J. Lang was drafted in the 4th round.

Josh Sitton was drafted in the 4th round. 

Mike Daniels was an undersized DT when he was drafted. In the 4th round.

Hey I owe you money PM me an email to send you Amazon gift card cash son

On 5/7/2022 at 10:30 PM, St Vince said:

That's a plus. I compared him to Patrick because everyone talks about being so undersized. Patrick was a pretty good  versatile undersized swingman for us also.

The undersized bit is overblown to my mind. He's the same height, 5lbs heavier, with 3/4" shorter arms and 7/8" bigger hands than Bakhtiari had coming out of college. 

Bakh struggled against the power game and was a bit meh with run blocking early on (but was still a decent LT, especially after the Newhouse debacle), but beefed up with time - no reason Tom can't do the same.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Billy86 said:

The undersized bit is overblown to my mind. He's the same height, 5lbs heavier, with 3/4" shorter arms and 7/8" bigger hands than Bakhtiari had coming out of college. 

Bakh struggled against the power game and was a bit meh with run blocking early on (but was still a decent LT, especially after the Newhouse debacle), but beefed up with time - no reason Tom can't do the same.

Agree that the undersized arms don't have to be that big a deal. I think many of us here are keeping our fingers crossed that Zach Tom's amazing feet are the main reason for his future success.

23 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I hate when people bring up a player with a horrible injury and call him a miss or a bust. I’d call that a push, I surely looked to have the skills but a terrible injury cut it short and we’ll never know if that was a good pick or not. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Gypsy1027 said:

Agree that the undersized arms don't have to be that big a deal. I think many of us here are keeping our fingers crossed that Zach Tom's amazing feet are the main reason for his future success.

Agreed as well. His arms are longer than Clifton's, that's good enough for me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I hate when people bring up a player with a horrible injury and call him a miss or a bust. I’d call that a push, I surely looked to have the skills but a terrible injury cut it short and we’ll never know if that was a good pick or not. 

I mean, nothing against Sherrod, who by all accounts was a decent guy, but the pick itself didn't work out.  Like if a guy we drafted got hit by falling space debris and never played in the NFL, I wouldn't consider that a hit either.  It wasn't a miss because the Packers made the wrong call or scouted wrong, just sometimes bad things happen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, nothing against Sherrod, who by all accounts was a decent guy, but the pick itself didn't work out.  Like if a guy we drafted got hit by falling space debris and never played in the NFL, I wouldn't consider that a hit either.  It wasn't a miss because the Packers made the wrong call or scouted wrong, just sometimes bad things happen.

Right but it’s unfair to hold that against TT or any other GM