Round 7 Pick 249; Rasheed Walker, OT Penn State

Packerraymond

Before I get tagged here lol.

Not a rep I worry about Walker, for the most part.. Rasheed does a super solid job attacking the block and eating the space. (I said in my first post way back in the OL thread that I'm a much bigger fan of his when hes not retreating) Bosas not coming with a pure power rush, sets edge and works counters from there.  That little hands to the face takes some wind out of Bosas sails. which fair play it wasnt called. Fairly well impressed with the way Rasheed shut down the inside counter with that second punch controlling arm, something he has problems with from time to time. PA helps everyone.

Super solid rep against one of the best in the league. (but similarly look how Myers is manhandling a very solid Javon Hargrave props where props are due.) It's the setting and resetting anchors that I just dont see changing and thats the fastest way to pressures.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 1:14 PM, HighCalebR said:

I'd have to go back through it.. and I'm not sure I want to right now. Haha but Bosa plays over Tom... and then Tom left. I'd assume Walker got some help from time to time against Young but you can't help them all, all the time and Bosas the big dog.

But yeah initial watch the line played really well. (Nijman got absolutely worked by Bosa that's burned into my mind, but that's gonna happen) I also think we could do worse, but we could kick it up a notch. The more comfortable Love is in the pocket the better. I'd say we have to figure out the Safety position first, whether retaining, FA or early in the draft. But from there I think the squad is in a real solid state and we just take the value where we can.

I don't think Walker ever fixes his base issues, I went back through his college stuff and that's one of the main reasons he dropped from his lofty early considerations. It's not only that he got hurt and was a bit immature. But I think MLF has proved the system doesn't need a top tier LT to work quite like big Mikes or some others, looking at you Zac Taylor (who interestingly cut his teeth with Philbin in Miami, more so than McVay)

Aaand that's my final words on Walker :). Think he plays with a lot of passion and I think we needed some heat out there.

Agree to disagree then. I just feel Walker has played well as do the stats. Plus, one can only hope and assume he continues to improve so I feel pretty good about our OL right now. 

That said, I think I’d still look at OL in the first round. Guys from Arizona and Oregon State are both solid OT prospects that could easily slide inside to RG. Gives a lot of flexibility if we have injuries, which happen. Kid from OSU is a road grader and one from Arizona has feet for LT… think I’d go there first for better versatility. 

Lastly, as a whole the OL did pretty well against what might be the best DL in the NFL. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Agree to disagree then. I just feel Walker has played well as do the stats. Plus, one can only hope and assume he continues to improve so I feel pretty good about our OL right now. 

That said, I think I’d still look at OL in the first round. Guys from Arizona and Oregon State are both solid OT prospects that could easily slide inside to RG. Gives a lot of flexibility if we have injuries, which happen. Kid from OSU is a road grader and one from Arizona has feet for LT… think I’d go there first for better versatility. 

Lastly, as a whole the OL did pretty well against what might be the best DL in the NFL. 

I just went back through the game. Idk what there is to disagree about. My whole point is we can hope and pray Walker develops and put all our eggs in that basket knowing there are shortcomings or we can look for upgrades. Walker's in Love's lap too much to just grant him starter next year. There's plenty that can be upgraded. 

He's McKivitz, he's Braxton Jones. Nobody is cutting him but we should be looking for upgrades if they're available. If I draft a round 1 tackle I'm still having a legit competition vs Walker. Walker can play but there's some obvious weak spots to the game and if you really watch him you see them. There's no agree to disagree there.

They did play pretty dang well. The gameplan is solid for what we have in house and they gelled very well late in the year. I'm not knocking that. Having Tom makes having Walker very viable. Walker got PLENTY of help this game. Some of our better long developing plays he doesnt even end up blocking anyone.

First play attacks the inside move nicely.

Second play just because Nijman gets absolutely dog walked here doesnt make Walkers play great. playing straight pro against bull rush 2.38 seconds and hes into the launch point. 

Yes he hasnt given up sacks, Jordan has been playing with GREAT anticipation and ripping the ball. Nobody gets home that fast, even an untouched Bosa doesnt get there.

Like do you have gamepass and rewatch? I'll share with you the time stamps of the plays with my concerns and then we can agree to disagree if you still feel like Walker is "lights out".  But if we're just basing it all off PFF and some stats I've just gotta say you're wrong.

I'm wholly prepared to say agree to disagree about him developing. I don't think it's something he can fix. If you think he can, ive moved past being adamant on that point. Hopefully he does!

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, persiandud said:

I think we can improve on Walker. having him as a swing tackle will be great, he's better than Yosh! this OL is a strength and foundation we can build on 

I think people have real unrealistic expectations. If we didn’t have a HOF LT coming back , Walker would have been slotted at LT without a 2nd thought. 

He was incredible the 2nd half of the year. Theres a lot of NFL teams who would love to have Rasheed Walker right now. 

People are doing it with Love too with the over analyzing of the final int. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

He should be inspired doubly this off-season. He can make himself a ton of money if he keeps this up for the next 21 months

Are you willing to pay both of your OT's 20+ a year if he turns into top 10 LT material? IMO, Tom is already headed for a massive payday. Two guys, getting paid the same year with big money is dicey. 

Either way, I want a tackle with the Jets pick, if value is there. There is also irony taking a tackle with the Jets pick so we can rub a little more salt in the 15/13 swap last year where they missed out on Bro Jo. 

13 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I think people have real unrealistic expectations. If we didn’t have a HOF LT coming back , Walker would have been slotted at LT without a 2nd thought. 

He was incredible the 2nd half of the year. Theres a lot of NFL teams who would love to have Rasheed Walker right now. 

People are doing it with Love too with the over analyzing of the final int. 

Complete hypothetical here. We work out a reasonable contract for Bak to come back and get his heir apparent in the 2nd round of the draft this year. If this fantasy, what is Walker's value on a trade market after this season he put up? 

I know the prudent thing to do if that plays out is to keep Walker with Bak's knee history; just curious what Walker's trade value would be. 

I personally wouldn't give him up for less than a 1st. I also know that is not reasonable to expect to get back for him either. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Are you willing to pay both of your OT's 20+ a year if he turns into top 10 LT material? IMO, Tom is already headed for a massive payday. Two guys, getting paid the same year with big money is dicey. 

Either way, I want a tackle with the Jets pick, if value is there. There is also irony taking a tackle with the Jets pick so we can rub a little more salt in the 15/13 swap last year where they missed out on Bro Jo. 

This is a good point, and something we're going to have to REALLY worry about after 2025 and 2026 at WR, too. 

I think ZT is a no-brainer. Walker has a ways to go to prove he's worth it. I'm also 100% onboard draft OL early and often. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

This is a good point, and something we're going to have to REALLY worry about after 2025 and 2026 at WR, too. 

I think ZT is a no-brainer. Walker has a ways to go to prove he's worth it. I'm also 100% onboard draft OL early and often. 

I'm OK with taking a year off from drafting a WR this year, but we will need to double dip in the 25 draft IMO. Then I'd be inclined to trade one of the guys heading into his 4th year that I know I can't pay in 2026. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Complete hypothetical here. We work out a reasonable contract for Bak to come back and get his heir apparent in the 2nd round of the draft this year. If this fantasy, what is Walker's value on a trade market after this season he put up? 

I know the prudent thing to do if that plays out is to keep Walker with Bak's knee history; just curious what Walker's trade value would be. 

I personally wouldn't give him up for less than a 1st. I also know that is not reasonable to expect to get back for him either. 

Really good point . It’s a very interesting place to be. 

Idt there’s any chance I trade Walker this offseason. Very close to 0, maybe a top 15 pick ( which probably is extremely high and nobody would do it anyway). 

When everything is sorted out, I hope he’s our guy. Would be great for Jordan to have a LT to grow with too 

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Really good point . It’s a very interesting place to be. 

Idt there’s any chance I trade Walker this offseason. Very close to 0, maybe a top 15 pick ( which probably is extremely high and nobody would do it anyway). 

When everything is sorted out, I hope he’s our guy. Would be great for Jordan to have a LT to grow with too 

If that is even a remote possibility, then a GM like @jleisher should be able to get 2 - FRPs for Walker in his next mock draft! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm OK with taking a year off from drafting a WR this year, but we will need to double dip in the 25 draft IMO. Then I'd be inclined to trade one of the guys heading into his 4th year that I know I can't pay in 2026. 

Getting into a cycle of having tradeable assets and executing on it is 100% ideal. The return we got for Rodgers and Adams while shedding their contracts was insane value. Made possible/palatable by hitting on Love, Watson (maybe), Doubs, Reed, Wicks etc.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Getting into a cycle of having tradeable assets and executing on it is 100% ideal. The return we got for Rodgers and Adams while shedding their contracts was insane value. Made possible/palatable by hitting on Love, Watson (maybe), Doubs, Reed, Wicks etc.

The key to being able to do that is drafting replacements before you have to move on from too many of them. Given where we are in the WR/TE room today, we can't keep them all if they continue to develop. 

If I had to make a choice today, I'm keeping Kraft, Musgrave, Reed and Wicks. If I can get a Melton to stay cheap, bonus. Watson or Doubs would be a luxury. Unless Watson gets his hammy issue sorted out, then he could change my mind. I love Doubs but you can't pay them all. 

• Like 1