Round 7 Pick 249; Rasheed Walker, OT Penn State

Packerraymond

44 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Nobody read the article of what was actually wrong with Bakh apparently. 

No, we did.     Or did you read an article I didn't that guarantees good health this time?

Given the severity of the upcoming surgery, doctors wanted to exercise all other options and rule out other causes before venturing down this path. After checking all boxes, Bakhtiari underwent an arthroscopic procedure last week that confirmed the surgery was necessary......

......"They have decisions they need to make, what's best for their franchise. I understood that the minute I got in here. And I've seen every face go. (Someday) this face is going to go, too. I can't live here. Maybe."     

Everything is risk/reward.   To his credit it sounds like he's been doing everything possible to rehab and play again, I'd love nothing more, but anyone with multiple surgeries on the same body part knows it's an uphill climb to play and even tougher to stay playing.   After 3 injury ravaged years David himself gets it.     

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Who when plays was absolutely dominant .

If he comes back healthy he was one of if not the best LTs in the game. Who knows if he does but it’s complicated 

Fixed it for you. No one knows what he will be once or if he comes back. 

22 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Guys not going to forget how to play. 

The only concern is health.

Reason why guys like Whitworth Thomas Williams can play forever. As long as the body holds.

Edited by HighCalebR

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Doesn’t need to be fixed.

When Bahkitiari played this year he was dominant . Theres nothing to suggest when he’s healthy that he’s taking a step back. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

did Gute find a stud pass-block OT in the 7th round?

I've been saying that he can play ever since he played RT in his first pre-season game, which I believe was our last pre-season game that year, as he was hurt during camp.

The guy has almost an ideal frame for LT.  Tall enough, long arms.  He does have some quick feet for such a large man.  I feel like he needed, and still needs, more base power in those legs and lower body.  And I used to think he needed a more competitive attitude out there, more "want it".

And as the season has gone on, I'm seeing more of that "want it" from him on some plays.  

He's certainly good enough right now to eliminate LT as a "must need" early in the draft.  Not saying we couldn't or shouldn't take one, but it is not the clear need that it looked like it could be earlier in the season.

It's almost like our GM is actually quite good at his job.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Guys not going to forget how to play. 

The only concern is health.

Reason why guys like Whitworth Thomas Williams can play forever. As long as the body holds.

That was my point. As long as the body holds out. That knee is not worth the risk IMO. Especially with the way Walker and Tom have played. 

5 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Except for another severe knee surgery. 

It is interesting that they knew this was a possibility before and tried to avoid it. 

They probably have an idea about if there are more potentially likely issues. 

It doesnt sound like this came out of the blue, which is actually encouraging to me. Any time you can attribute an issue to a physical issue that is better than a mystery. 

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

It is interesting that they knew this was a possibility before and tried to avoid it. 

They probably have an idea about if there are more potentially likely issues. 

It doesnt sound like this came out of the blue, which is actually encouraging to me. Any time you can attribute an issue to a physical issue that is better than a mystery. 

True. It’s just that, that many surgeries on one knee is a real crap shoot. To me, the guys we have at OT are balling out and will only get better the next few years. Bak, even if he was healthy, would be on the downside of his career. Without the injuries I’d find a way to save him and keep the depth.

Just feel we can use those resources better elsewhere now that Tom and Walker have shown they can play at a pretty darn good level already. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

True. It’s just that, that many surgeries on one knee is a real crap shoot. To me, the guys we have at OT are balling out and will only get better the next few years. Bak, even if he was healthy, would be on the downside of his career. Without the injuries I’d find a way to save him and keep the depth.

Just feel we can use those resources better elsewhere now that Tom and Walker have shown they can play at a pretty darn good level already. 

The resources are already committed tho. Almost all of his salary is guaranteed

If its like a crap shoot, its like you are already bought in and  would be deciding whether or not to walk away from the table. 

Edited by HokieHigh

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

The resources are already committed tho. Almost all of his salary is guaranteed

I don’t think this is accurate. GB would save a whopping $20.9m by releasing or trading him. That could get you a lot. 

The dead money is leftovers from previous years of restructures. A sunk cost.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I don’t think this is accurate. GB would save a whopping $20.9m by releasing or trading him. That could get you a lot. 

The dead money is leftovers from previous years of restructures. A sunk cost.

Oh i thought it was guaranteed. My bad for misremembering his structure. Thx for correcting

3 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

even if he was healthy, would be on the downside of his career

Clifton helped win a SB. It's way more valuable to have a known there than a developing player. Especially because Walker still probably needs time in an NFL program. and is now probably a top tier swing.

1 hour ago, oldmansmell said:

Clifton helped win a SB. It's way more valuable to have a known there than a developing player. Especially because Walker still probably needs time in an NFL program. and is now probably a top tier swing.

I just don't see how you can bet 20 mil on that knee by the time his roster bonus is due