Round 7 Pick 249; Rasheed Walker, OT Penn State

Packerraymond

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Getting into a cycle of having tradeable assets and executing on it is 100% ideal. The return we got for Rodgers and Adams while shedding their contracts was insane value. Made possible/palatable by hitting on Love, Watson (maybe), Doubs, Reed, Wicks etc.

Rodgers/Adams trades=Significantly more draft capital=Stronger Draft Classes

Bad thing about strong draft classes is you can't afford to pay them all.  I see Watson and Rasheed as the most likely trade candidates in 2 years due to as discussed above of not wanting to pay 2 top T contracts at the same time. Hopefully Gute continues this cycle of constantly re-stocking draft capital from players we won't be able to afford to pay.

If Rasheed continues his improvement, I see no reason why a team wouldn't dangle a 1st to us when the time comes. 

2 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Rodgers/Adams trades=Significantly more draft capital=Stronger Draft Classes

Bad thing about strong draft classes is you can't afford to pay them all.  I see Watson and Rasheed as the most likely trade candidates in 2 years due to as discussed above of not wanting to pay 2 top T contracts at the same time. Hopefully Gute continues this cycle of constantly re-stocking draft capital from players we won't be able to afford to pay.

If Rasheed continues his improvement, I see no reason why a team wouldn't dangle a 1st to us when the time comes. 

Neither of them can be traded in two years unless we put a franchise tag on one of them. Both will be free agents after the 2025 season. Those would be decisions that would have to be made after next season. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Are you willing to pay both of your OT's 20+ a year if he turns into top 10 LT material? IMO, Tom is already headed for a massive payday. Two guys, getting paid the same year with big money is dicey. 

Either way, I want a tackle with the Jets pick, if value is there. There is also irony taking a tackle with the Jets pick so we can rub a little more salt in the 15/13 swap last year where they missed out on Bro Jo. 

If it were me?  I'd have zero issue paying my tackles if each was a top 10.  Zero.  

I'm on record as really liking Walker.  Zero issue with him.

Also?  I don't feel like he's ever going to be in that top 10 range.  Even with more strength in his legs and base.

I hope we continue to invest in the OL.  And.......let's just take Fautanu from Washington with our first pick.

6'4'' 316 pounds.  LT feet, but he's squattier and athletic.  If he isn't an immediate upgrade over Walker, I do feel like he could be a ten year plus starter at guard.  Any guard.  I dig the versatility there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If it were me?  I'd have zero issue paying my tackles if each was a top 10.  Zero.  

I'm on record as really liking Walker.  Zero issue with him.

Also?  I don't feel like he's ever going to be in that top 10 range.  Even with more strength in his legs and base.

I hope we continue to invest in the OL.  And.......let's just take Fautanu from Washington with our first pick.

6'4'' 316 pounds.  LT feet, but he's squattier and athletic.  If he isn't an immediate upgrade over Walker, I do feel like he could be a ten year plus starter at guard.  Any guard.  I dig the versatility there.

I’m just curious why you say that. We just played two of the best pass rushing teams and they were nonexistent .

KC one of the best in the league. Two sacks . 

Bucs always dial up the pressure. 2 sacks . 

And I know that sacks aren’t everything , but I don’t remember any game recently where Love was under major duress. Group effort, but the LT has a lot to do with it . 

Rushing attack had been great the end of the year . 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Complete hypothetical here. We work out a reasonable contract for Bak to come back and get his heir apparent in the 2nd round of the draft this year. If this fantasy, what is Walker's value on a trade market after this season he put up? 

I know the prudent thing to do if that plays out is to keep Walker with Bak's knee history; just curious what Walker's trade value would be. 

I personally wouldn't give him up for less than a 1st. I also know that is not reasonable to expect to get back for him either. 

This is a fascinating hypothetical. A few ideas:

-Davante Adams was traded for a first and a second round pick. The Raiders paid that price simply for the right to make him the highest paid WR in the league. Truly a unicorn trade. Absolute highway robbery.

-Rasul was traded for a 3rd for 5th round swap. The Bills inherited 1.5 years of his service, at a discounted rate since the Packers kept the signing bonus. The Packers inherited $6m in cap relief they were in need of.

So what's Walker worth? You'd be getting 2 years of very cheap service of a top 20ish LT. I'd argue that's $15m/year, so $30m total. That would almost have to be worth a first round pick or two.

I don't think I'd have the stones to deal like this, but it's interesting to think about.

50 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

love Doubs too. His postseason performance makes me inclined to keep him.

Dude was laser-focused.

Then probably don't keep Watson. Today that seems like the right move, but if Watson gets his hammy thing figured out, not sure it will be. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

This is a fascinating hypothetical. A few ideas:

-Davante Adams was traded for a first and a second round pick. The Raiders paid that price simply for the right to make him the highest paid WR in the league. Truly a unicorn trade. Absolute highway robbery.

-Rasul was traded for a 3rd for 5th round swap. The Bills inherited 1.5 years of his service, at a discounted rate since the Packers kept the signing bonus. The Packers inherited $6m in cap relief they were in need of.

So what's Walker worth? You'd be getting 2 years of very cheap service of a top 20ish LT. I'd argue that's $15m/year, so $30m total. That would almost have to be worth a first round pick or two.

I don't think I'd have the stones to deal like this, but it's interesting to think about.

If he plays well next year, there is no chance he's getting on the field in 2025 without a new deal. Whoever has Walker is getting 1 more year of cheap service if he continues to develop. Same with ZT which is what brought this whole discussion on. We are going to be paying ZT next off season, barring something terrible. 

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell you get 2 FRPs for him. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’m just curious why you say that. We just played two of the best pass rushing teams and they were nonexistent .

KC one of the best in the league. Two sacks . 

Bucs always dial up the pressure. 2 sacks . 

And I know that sacks aren’t everything , but I don’t remember any game recently where Love was under major duress. Group effort, but the LT has a lot to do with it . 

Rushing attack had been great the end of the year . 

LOL, I take 0% offense to you being curious about my statement.

I'll dive into it a little bit.  Walker is better than he was early in the year, no doubt about it.  Also?  He's gotten a lot of help.  While I like and admire the player for what he's done down the stretch, I don't trust it just yet.  Key word, "yet".  I'd use our draft capital to either get better at that position or at least push it real hard so that it gets better.

I don't see top 10 LT play out of Walker just yet.  But, if he continues to improve and shows that level of play?  Heck yah I'd pay for it.  

So I'm simply going to reinforce my line.  My "guy" is Fautanu from Washington.  I love the feet and the athlete for where we are picking.  I also see where he could be a very, very good guard.  So it isn't that I'm necessarily replacing Walker, I'm just looking to upgrade the line and I feel he would do that.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

LOL, I take 0% offense to you being curious about my statement.

I'll dive into it a little bit.  Walker is better than he was early in the year, no doubt about it.  Also?  He's gotten a lot of help.  While I like and admire the player for what he's done down the stretch, I don't trust it just yet.  Key word, "yet".  I'd use our draft capital to either get better at that position or at least push it real hard so that it gets better.

I don't see top 10 LT play out of Walker just yet.  But, if he continues to improve and shows that level of play?  Heck yah I'd pay for it.  

So I'm simply going to reinforce my line.  My "guy" is Fautanu from Washington.  I love the feet and the athlete for where we are picking.  I also see where he could be a very, very good guard.  So it isn't that I'm necessarily replacing Walker, I'm just looking to upgrade the line and I feel he would do that.

I didn’t say you did, idt I implied it either but if I did I apologize. 

as for the help , meh that generally isn’t our style to give our LTs too much help, but I’m sure he’s gotten some like everyone else . 

I’m all for the wait and see approach. But saying ‘ don't feel like he's ever going to be in that top 10 range.‘   

Is different than waiting and seeing 

Do you feel the same way about Love? They’ve both taken off about the same time . 

If Walker was even average the last half , I guarantee Dallas/SF/KC/ Det etc would have gotten much better pass rush .  And if you’re giving Tom all the credit, they most certainly would’ve moved Parsons, Bosa, Jones, Hutchinson over to Walker. 

Kiper's latest mock is out. 

25. Green Bay Packers
Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU

As I mentioned earlier, this is a talented tackle class, and so if Green Bay has a chance to get its blindside protector of the future, it should take it. David Bakhtiari has played just 25 games over the past four seasons because of knee issues, including one in 2023. The Packers can't rely on him coming back.

The 6-foot-6 Suamataia started 23 games for the Cougars over the past two seasons, 12 at right tackle and 11 at left tackle. I love the potential he showed this past season when he gave up three sacks and only eight total pressures. He is a mountain of a man who can move to the second level and take on linebackers in the run game.

Someone let Mel know the Packers already have that guy on their roster.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

This is a good point, and something we're going to have to REALLY worry about after 2025 and 2026 at WR, too. 

I think ZT is a no-brainer. Walker has a ways to go to prove he's worth it. I'm also 100% onboard draft OL early and often

Me too. I want Love to have an absolutely dominant hog OL. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Me too. I want Love to have an absolutely dominant hog OL. 

Agree.

My Guy is Graham Barton from Duke. Played LT at Duke but has all 5 position abilities.