Round 7 Pick 258; Samori Toure, WR Nebraska

Packerraymond

56 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

I wouldn't call it an uphill battle. He's still a favorite to get a roster spot. Cobb and Rodgers are the slot options, and Cobb won't be here much longer.

The way we use our slot, I could see Watson there for quite a few snaps.

Amari has to shed some weight and get some explosiveness in his game.  He was part of the WR room that caused our coaches and front office to say we needed more speed.

If Amari doesn't have it and our rookies do, it could spell the end for him.  To be fair, I think he gets the benefit of the doubt right now, based on draft status last year.  But once TC opens, he's gonna be in a fight for a position spot.

And let's not think his play on specials is going to lock anything down for him.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

The way we use our slot, I could see Watson there for quite a few snaps.

Amari has to shed some weight and get some explosiveness in his game.  He was part of the WR room that caused our coaches and front office to say we needed more speed.

If Amari doesn't have it and our rookies do, it could spell the end for him.  To be fair, I think he gets the benefit of the doubt right now, based on draft status last year.  But once TC opens, he's gonna be in a fight for a position spot.

And let's not think his play on specials is going to lock anything down for him.

Do people just never learn anything year after year. 

Toure is meant for the 67-man roster, not the 53. They always carry several WR on the PS; perhaps Toure will beat out Rico Gafford or Chris Blair for a PS job, who knows?  But he's a variably long shot to make the 53, barring injury-enabled opportunity.  

Amari is default-intended for the 53-man roster.  Could Amari lose it?  Sure, but his default is to stick.  I do maybe get the feeling that Gute might be a little quicker to turn the page than TT was on draftees who don't flash?  

On 5/1/2022 at 11:23 AM, Mazrimiv said:

This made me laugh, even though I don't think it was supposed to.  What makes you think typical Americans are remotely familiar with West African name patterns?  Or European soccer (sorry... football) for that matter.

Nothing, just that he brought up European soccer. And if you know anything about that, literally 50% of teams has a player name Toure. But I totally missed the subtext anyways.

2 hours ago, R T said:

I liked Amari as a pick, thought he was nearly laughably bad last year, still hasn't even crossed my mind that he'll actually be gone. He must felt so uncomfortable, not the returns, even out there on O. Didn't seem like they ever actually thought about getting the ball to him either and he probably felt that way too. Gotta be a pro but doubt that's fun. People have talked about him getting a little lighter and quicker etc, that's fine and well and I'm sure true. But he needs to find a role and get comfortable in it as much as anything.

Still bothered we didn't ever give it to him on the jet motion, at least that I remember, but that's not on him or anything.

36 minutes ago, Norm said:

I liked Amari as a pick, thought he was nearly laughably bad last year, still hasn't even crossed my mind that he'll actually be gone. He must felt so uncomfortable, not the returns, even out there on O. Didn't seem like they ever actually thought about getting the ball to him either and he probably felt that way too. Gotta be a pro but doubt that's fun. People have talked about him getting a little lighter and quicker etc, that's fine and well and I'm sure true. But he needs to find a role and get comfortable in it as much as anything.

Still bothered we didn't ever give it to him on the jet motion, at least that I remember, but that's not on him or anything.

Sucks we didn't have him in that tyler ervin role

9 hours ago, R T said:

True....but Amari didn't flash ANYTHING... like at all.
He's short, he looked slow, he couldn't play when  everyone went down with injuries. Terrible on return duties.
 I haven't seen such a bad showing for a Packers rookie WR in my life lol. 

Nice article on Toure:

https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2022/4/7/23014435/49ers-nfl-draft-samori-toure-nebraska

I tell you what, if we did not draft him at our last pick there was a decent chance the 49ers would've made him their Mr Irrelevant.

Lots of teams brought him in but all of them passed on him in the 7th round basically leaving us, Kansas and 49ers as interested parties.

Edited by Chili

8 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Sucks we didn't have him in that tyler ervin role

Tyler Ervin - 16 punt returns, 7.9 average with a long of 18 yards. 

Amari Rodgers - 20 punt returns, 8.3 average with a long of 23 yards. 

Maybe it was that 2 catches for 11 yards and one rush for 10 yards of Ervin's in his first year in GB versus Rodgers' 4 catches for 45 yards and one rush for 11 yards in his first season that made their roles different. One player is a 185 pounds and needs to rely on quickness to survive and the other is 212 pounds and plays with a degree of power to his game. Two different body types and two different playing styles, but in the end the results are no different.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chili said:

Nice article on Toure:

https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2022/4/7/23014435/49ers-nfl-draft-samori-toure-nebraska

I tell you what, if we did not draft him at our last pick there was a decent chance the 49ers would've made him their Mr Irrelevant.

Lots of teams brought him in but all of them passed on him in the 7th round basically leaving us and 49ers as interested parties.

The Chiefs had the next pick after the Packers drafted him. 

22 minutes ago, R T said:

The Chiefs had the next pick after the Packers drafted him. 

I missed that one.

Edit: He even visited the Bears and they passed on him twice right before our very last pick.

Edited by Chili