Round 7 Pick 258; Samori Toure, WR Nebraska

Packerraymond

8 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

2016-2017-2018 most recent examples

Good point. You made me dig and they did carry 7 WR's at times during those years, but the catch was that Montgomery was a WR/RB for them. The more I think about it though, I do believe it is possible this coming season as long as some of them are high usage STer's. With Cobb, Lazard and Watkins all potentially gone after this season it might make sense to help smooth the transition to the 2023 season.   

11 minutes ago, R T said:

Good point. You made me dig and they did carry 7 WR's at times during those years, but the catch was that Montgomery was a WR/RB for them. The more I think about it though, I do believe it is possible this coming season as long as some of them are high usage STer's. With Cobb, Lazard and Watkins all potentially gone after this season it might make sense to help smooth the transition to the 2023 season.   

Well RT we drafted 3 guys and brought in 3 more UDFA.  Remember you getting on me about that.  6 guys.

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Well RT we drafted 3 guys and brought in 3 more UDFA.  Remember you getting on me about that.  6 guys.

They are not going to training camp with 14 WR's on the 90-man roster, 11 or 12 is the number every year. There has been more UDFA signings reported than there are roster spots which happens every year and it ends up being some are just invites to come to next weekend's rookie event.  Most years there are 20+ rookie invites for that, and I would guess that there may be even another WR or two for that because of the high degree of passing involved there. If what you were talking about was bring in rookies for next weekend, we are talking about two different things, they need a certain number at every position to function properly during training camp and 11 or 12 is the number for the WR position.  

Tyler Dunne -

SAMORI TOURE, WR, Nebraska

• Rd. 7/258.

• Height: 6-1.

• Weight: 191.

• 40: 4.47.

• Wonderlic: 20.

• Hometown: Portland, Ore.

Fact/Stat: Spent four years at Montana, starting two. Had record-setting season in 2019 with 87 catches for 1,495 (17.2) and 13 TDs. When the Grizzlies’ season in 2020 was postponed, he eventually transferred to Nebraska. Played one year in the Big Ten, catching 46-898-19.5-5 … Ran a swift 3-cone (6.77) at pro day but flopped on the bench press (seven reps).

AFC scout: “Flashes the ability to slip past press defenders but struggles to cleanly pull away when working downfield. Shows competitiveness but can be outmuscled and shows inconsistent finish in traffic. Smooth athlete with subtle agility and short-area quickness as a route runner. Adequate movement skills and hands but lacks ideal top-end speed. Finesse route runner. Priority free agent.”

42 minutes ago, R T said:

They are not going to training camp with 14 WR's on the 90-man roster, 11 or 12 is the number every year. There has been more UDFA signings reported than there are roster spots which happens every year and it ends up being some are just invites to come to next weekend's rookie event.  Most years there are 20+ rookie invites for that, and I would guess that there may be even another WR or two for that because of the high degree of passing involved there. If what you were talking about was bring in rookies for next weekend, we are talking about two different things, they need a certain number at every position to function properly during training camp and 11 or 12 is the number for the WR position.  

Look RT you were wrong admit it.  They are bringing in 6 guys.  Who they bring into training camp was not the question.  They drafted 3 WR and are bringing in 3 UDFA.  Figured they would throw numbers at it which is exactly what they have done.  A long time between now and training camp.  Expect some more shuffling around before then.  

27 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Look RT you were wrong admit it.  They are bringing in 6 guys.  Who they bring into training camp was not the question.  They drafted 3 WR and are bringing in 3 UDFA.  Figured they would throw numbers at it which is exactly what they have done.  A long time between now and training camp.  Expect some more shuffling around before then.  

Yes it was, but OK. Nothing to lose sleep over. 

9 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

What? Kolo? You realize how common of a West African name Toure is right? 

This made me laugh, even though I don't think it was supposed to.  What makes you think typical Americans are remotely familiar with West African name patterns?  Or European soccer (sorry... football) for that matter.

14 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I really wonder if he would have been drafted higher if he stayed at Montana State.

I don't think so .. being able to make the jump from Montana to Nebraska and still playing at a high level is probably what got him into a draftable range.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Love it.  Amari Rodgers had better take a large leap forward.  We have young WR's who are better athletes than he is.  And useful on specials.  

When they made this pick, my first thought was "bye bye Amari" - he is now fighting an uphill battle for the last roster spot. Another offseason under his belt will make him more confident, but it won't make him any faster. And if Shadow GM Aaron Rodgers gets a wild hair and signs Julio (unlikely), you may as well cut Amari today. 

50 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

When they made this pick, my first thought was "bye bye Amari" - he is now fighting an uphill battle for the last roster spot. Another offseason under his belt will make him more confident, but it won't make him any faster. And if Shadow GM Aaron Rodgers gets a wild hair and signs Julio (unlikely), you may as well cut Amari today. 

I wouldn't call it an uphill battle. He's still a favorite to get a roster spot. Cobb and Rodgers are the slot options, and Cobb won't be here much longer.