The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Robert Downey Jr. cast as Doctor Doom

Acgott

30 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

I thought it had to do with the female director being let go from the second movie?

They probably go hand in hand. Patty Jenkins was the original director and I'm sure had different ideas for the character.

Watched Age of Ultron over the weekend. Way better than I remember it being. Thought that it did some interesting things setting up some movies, in particular Thor Ragnorak that I hadn't picked up on the first time around. But there's a lot that's really good about that movie. Also, it's a shame that Quicksilver did, he did a very good job in it.

Watched all 3 Iron Man movies and the first Avengers in the last week, and it's pretty clear that Iron Man 3 is the worst of the 3 and I think I understand why better now.  I know they were pushing the whole anxiety thing in IM3, but Tony Stark is essentially completely different than he is in every other MCU movie he is in, and that's why it's not up to snuff.  He's not prepared, he makes stupid decisions that don't make sense, the mechanics of how his armor is powered are completely changed without even talking about why, he has IM suits that are half built, he jumps into suit after suit during the finale, yet for some reason none of those could come to him when his house was being attacked?  I actually like The Mandarin twist, and thought Guy Pearce did at least an OK job with some bad villain writing, but the premise of extremis was passable enough.  The problem in IM3 is bad writing for Tony Stark.

• Like 1

I disagree, I think the issue is less the writing for Tony Stark, I think that we're getting the anxiety thing and it was done fairly well. Though some of the suit stuff is odd, for me it's Guy Pearce who is the issue, or at least his character. That's a character that in the movie has a massive change for no real reason. We don't get the underlying original character, he goes from sniveling nerdy character who can't stand up for himself to super suave and powerful character, and I realize that the strength element makes sense, but the personality change isn't a logical progression to what personality he'd be likely to end up with with that physical transformation.

37 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Though some of the suit stuff is odd, for me it's Guy Pearce who is the issue, or at least his character. That's a character that in the movie has a massive change for no real reason. We don't get the underlying original character, he goes from sniveling nerdy character who can't stand up for himself to super suave and powerful character, and I realize that the strength element makes sense, but the personality change isn't a logical progression to what personality he'd be likely to end up with with that physical transformation.

I actually bought this just fine.  

My issues are similar to what @THE DUKE said.  Tony's character is strange in this one.  And the suit thing really bothered me.  The end fight scene with his suits just busting apart makes no sense.  It's like he's the one holding his suit together, because every time he's in one it can take a hit.  When he's not in it, they fatally explode.  Like seriously, his M1 suit in IM1 takes a shot from a tank and is just scratched.  But smaller arms in IM3 can take them out?  It's bad writing, IMO.

Also the thing about his suit losing power is nonsensical too since like Duke said, in the other movies it's powered by his chest piece.

All that said, i actually kind of IM3.  Better than IM2 really, mainly because we see more of Tony and less the suit.  He feels a bit more exposed and the danger is more real that way.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Watched Age of Ultron over the weekend. Way better than I remember it being. Thought that it did some interesting things setting up some movies, in particular Thor Ragnorak that I hadn't picked up on the first time around. But there's a lot that's really good about that movie. Also, it's a shame that Quicksilver did, he did a very good job in it.

The scene with Mjolnir, and Vision later picking it up, are probably two of my favorite scenes in the whole series.  Good example of great subtle writing.

They also did a good job setting up Black Panther as well.  And obviously Civil War.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Would be way better if Ultron wasn't awful 90% of the movie after his epic intro.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw online that Wandavision is set to resume filming in July.  Assuming they have been doing some post production during the shutdown on what was filmed already, this could still debut sometime in 2020.

Peters is a good get regardless of who he is playing.  They'd have to be real deep into the Multiverse hole in the show for him to be Quicksilver to work though. I would kind of rather them just completely ignore the Fox X-Men universe and start fresh, but it could work if the put the work into the story and how the multiverse is set up.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I would kind of rather them just completely ignore the Fox X-Men universe and start fresh, but it could work if the put the work into the story and how the multiverse is set up.

I wanna see Fassbender return as Magneto and be the primary threat.  Wanda and Pietro being his children is the perfect connection between both universes.  Fassbender’s Magneto is still one of the best castings in comic book movie history.  He’s perfection in that role.  

42 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I wanna see Fassbender return as Magneto and be the primary threat.  Wanda and Pietro being his children is the perfect connection between both universes.  Fassbender’s Magneto is still one of the best castings in comic book movie history.  He’s perfection in that role.  

I mean, really he is young enough to where they could start fresh with him in the role, although, you'd have to ditch the concentration camp survivor portion of his backstory.  He can't have existing in the past of the MCU and been completely unknown.  Same thing with the Fantastic 4.  Going to need some fresh origin stories.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I mean, really he is young enough to where they could start fresh with him in the role, although, you'd have to ditch the concentration camp survivor portion of his backstory.  He can't have existing in the past of the MCU and been completely unknown.  Same thing with the Fantastic 4.  Going to need some fresh origin stories.

I actually want to have the Fantastic Four come back to Earth after a long absence in space. They could have gone through some anomaly in which time passes differently. There are a lot of weird space things they could use that are actually based in real physics. Maybe they originally kept their powers a secret, made another trip to space, got a bit lost, and come back to find they've been gone like 5 years but the world has spun for 50-70 years and they are in the age of super heroes. 

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Peters is a good get regardless of who he is playing.  They'd have to be real deep into the Multiverse hole in the show for him to be Quicksilver to work though. I would kind of rather them just completely ignore the Fox X-Men universe and start fresh, but it could work if the put the work into the story and how the multiverse is set up.

Yeah pass on tying it together with the existing Xmen stuff.  It got kind of convoluted, and they're going to lose interest by forcing people to catch up on mediocre movies that are over a decade+ old at this point.

Plus...they aren't affiliated with Fox.  I'm sure there are legal issues tying into another companies set of movies.  And there's really no motivation for Disney to go there, because it just incentivizes people to shovel over money to FOX.  I don't think i have to explain to anyone why they wouldn't want that.

No, they have way more motivation to start their own thing.