The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Robert Downey Jr. cast as Doctor Doom

Acgott

11 hours ago, D82 said:

Kind of a bummer...I really liked Majors and was excited to see him as the main big bad for this arc. 

I imagine like others have said, they'll just recast and say Majors' Kang was a variant. Question becomes, who plays him? 

Yahya Abdul-Mateen would’ve been a good choice. Too bad he’s in Wonder Man.

On 7/1/2023 at 10:01 PM, D82 said:

Kind of a bummer...I really liked Majors and was excited to see him as the main big bad for this arc. 

I imagine like others have said, they'll just recast and say Majors' Kang was a variant. Question becomes, who plays him? 

Assuming they stick with a black actor, it makes it tough because they’ve already tapped some of the more popular actors working today.

Boyega would be my pick if they can convince him to do a franchise again.

Leslie Odom Jr

Lakeith, he’ll be in one of these at some point. Don’t think Kang is his best fit tho. John David Washington is in the same camp of not fitting as well, also isn’t as talented from what I’ve seen him in.

Aldis Hodge, Corey Hawkins 

If they went older, get Denzel.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Easiest pick probably. I like Lakieth a lot but I agree with your take. Maybe Corey Hawkins? edit: you said Corey too.

Yeah Odom is a rising film acting talent, with plenty of experience elsewhere. Kinda person they’d probably look to. Whoever they get has to be very steady if they are dumping majors. By all accounts he is.

The only knock is he just hasn’t gotten as much of a chance to play a villain, closest I’ve seen him do that is Abbott Elementary ha. But he should be able to just fine, Kang has a lot of range with the various variants.

Odom probably could pull off the widest range of Kang’s out of that group. Which I guess is the question…do you want that or just the Conqueror at his most menacing? 

It’d be dope if they could get Denzel, not sure if he’d want to do it though. Easiest way to move past Majors is announce Denzel.

18 minutes ago, August4th said:

surprise Denzel has not done a supe film yet. if you look at his filmography, it's filled with cheesy action films, so I doubt he thinks he's above that genre. guess the opportunity hasn't arrived yet

Most of them came 20+ years ago, though.

I could see him doing one, but not a role that committed him to alot of screentime in multiple films.  

Thinking something along the lines of Anthony Hopkins or Idris Elba in the Thor franchise.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, August4th said:

surprise Denzel has not done a supe film yet. if you look at his filmography, it's filled with cheesy action films, so I doubt he thinks he's above that genre. guess the opportunity hasn't arrived yet

He’s been a bit more selective it seems the last 10ish years. Only done 8 movies since Marvel really got to their elevated level in 2012. Comparison he was in 14 live action films from 02-12 and 16 films 92-02. He’s also been directing a bit, so that can kinda help explain that.

Kang could work, because at this point you probably do a bit thing in Loki season 3, maybe a cameo in something else like a post credit thing for F4…then he stars in Kang Dynasty. Have no idea what they are doing for Secret Wars and If Kang will even be involved for that. But only doing two avengers movie and Cameos is doable for him.

If Majors was going to be a variant for anything else, you can cast a 3rd person for that. 

Symbiote Summer.

As it currently stands.

Eddie Brock/Bedlam vs. Dylan/Venom/All-Black to an extent*. Dr.Doom, God Killer Carnage and the All-Red. Dragon Symbiote Cassidy. Likely IronMan/Spiderman/Goblins, with Flexo and a host of others after him. Dylans been building a little Sym Army.

Cant ask for a much better lineup. Been enjoying Symbiote Summer more than the Civil Wars.

58 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

He’s been a bit more selective it seems the last 10ish years. Only done 8 movies since Marvel really got to their elevated level in 2012. Comparison he was in 14 live action films from 02-12 and 16 films 92-02. He’s also been directing a bit, so that can kinda help explain that.

Kang could work, because at this point you probably do a bit thing in Loki season 3, maybe a cameo in something else like a post credit thing for F4…then he stars in Kang Dynasty. Have no idea what they are doing for Secret Wars and If Kang will even be involved for that. But only doing two avengers movie and Cameos is doable for him.

If Majors was going to be a variant for anything else, you can cast a 3rd person for that. 

I still don't personally ever see anything wrong with NOT acknowledging the different actor change/look. Just "hey we got a new actor for this role" and move on. I like your idea of the Loki S3 cameo just to show off the new look, but I don't think any explanation is always necessary for it. Just accept at face value, ya know?

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I still don't personally ever see anything wrong with NOT acknowledging the different actor change/look. Just "hey we got a new actor for this role" and move on. I like your idea of the Loki S3 cameo just to show off the new look, but I don't think any explanation is always necessary for it. Just accept at face value, ya know?

Yeah it’s fine just to do it and move on, the only reason you point to it at all is to triple  down on variants looking different. Which at this point has been established by the Spider-men, Loki, probably Reed Richards, and others.

Like Scott saying something about his face being different, or Kang mentioning another face. It’s really just because technically those variants still exist/have existed elsewhere.

But yeah you don’t need to.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...