The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Robert Downey Jr. cast as Doctor Doom

Acgott

18 minutes ago, theJ said:

I've never heard a theater so quiet at the end.  I imagine that's what it was like (maybe worse) at the end of Empire Strikes Back.

My theater was quite through out the movie! Even when Cap showed and Thor's epic entrance there was literally no reaction. There was a night and day difference with endgame that's for s ure.

27 minutes ago, theJ said:

I've never heard a theater so quiet at the end.  I imagine that's what it was like (maybe worse) at the end of Empire Strikes Back.

8 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

My theater was quite through out the movie! Even when Cap showed and Thor's epic entrance there was literally no reaction. There was a night and day difference with endgame that's for s ure.

ESB wasn’t as quiet with Lando saving Luke and their escape it offered clear hope for a win later.   It didn’t end with Vader & Palpatine sharing a victory lap in the sunset.  It was the first time a summer blockbuster ended with the Black Hats on top though and it was a helluva movie experience to leave the theatre.  

IW all 3x I saw in theatre it was deathly quiet - except for the gasps and sniffles / sobbing.   The cheers for Cap’s entry were huge though. 

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

ESB wasn’t as quiet with Lando saving Luke and their escape it offered clear hope for a win later.   It didn’t end with Vader & Palpatine sharing a victory lap in the sunset.  It was the first time a summer blockbuster ended with the Black Hats on top though and it was a helluva movie experience to leave the theatre.  

IW all 3x I saw in theatre it was deathly quiet - except for the gasps and sniffles / sobbing.   The cheers for Cap’s entry were huge though. 

yeah I watched IW twice and both times you could hear a pen drop.

I have to admit during Endgame, I clapped, cried, threw my fist in the air and etc. However I enjoyed the movie more the 2nd time as most of the folks in there hadn't seen the movie yet so it was quite hilarious to hear their reaction.

The best one was when Thanos was killed at the start, this lady literally yelled out WHAT!

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

yeah I watched IW twice and both times you could hear a pen drop.

I have to admit during Endgame, I clapped, cried, threw my fist in the air and etc. However I enjoyed the movie more the 2nd time as most of the folks in there hadn't seen the movie yet so it was quite hilarious to hear their reaction.

The best one was when Thanos was killed at the start, this lady literally yelled out WHAT!

Interesting - I saw IW on Opening Night (Day 1 on Draft Night lol) and then saw it again that same weekend with my teen daughters (huge MCU fans), so it was brand new with pretty much no spoilers for 80-90 percent of the crowd, I imagine.   The 3rd time when I saw it a week later with my wife back in town, much more subdued.   

I do think that Endgame being more character driven and less action driven until that crazy final 30 mins, changed the mood of the crowd.  I needed to see both IW & Endgame to process everything (IW & draft tracking, plus I was a wreck after IW's ending).    Endgame I needed to process a 2nd time just to get the "this isn't Back To The Future" time travel rules, then it made sense on 2nd viewing.  

I also think IW taking out major characters in the opening scene changed the setting in a huge way, that it wasn't going to be a typical summer feelgood ending.  But the foreknowledge of a Spidey2/BP2 made the snap choices so surprising.   I think that's a huge part of it too.  "I don't feel so good / I don't want to go" was just a killer scene.   And while we all figured there was going to be some sort of reversal, Endgame really paid it off in a huge, huge way.   The reunion scenes were so well done, and even the retribution scene with SW ("you took EVERYTHING from me" scene was awesome) - the payoff for 22 movies was awesome, but even the IW-to-Endgame payoff was massive.  

It's no surprise that Endgame's endured with staying power the entire summer, but it's also now setting records on home video release - highest-ever sales for prerelease digital sales.   That's a testament to how well they completed the 22-movie arc.   In this day & age, you don't spend $ on a digital / blu-ray release unless it's pretty damn special.   To get the #1 box office and still be this strong headed into home video release to be record-breaking there too, is massively impressive.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Interesting - I saw IW on Opening Night (Day 1 on Draft Night lol) and then saw it again that same weekend with my teen daughters (huge MCU fans), so it was brand new with pretty much no spoilers for 80-90 percent of the crowd, I imagine.   The 3rd time when I saw it a week later with my wife back in town, much more subdued.   

I do think that Endgame being more character driven and less action driven until that crazy final 30 mins, changed the mood of the crowd.  I needed to see both IW & Endgame to process everything (IW & draft tracking, plus I was a wreck after IW's ending).    Endgame I needed to process a 2nd time just to get the "this isn't Back To The Future" time travel rules, then it made sense on 2nd viewing.  

I also think IW taking out major characters in the opening scene changed the setting in a huge way, that it wasn't going to be a typical summer feelgood ending.  But the foreknowledge of a Spidey2/BP2 made the snap choices so surprising.   I think that's a huge part of it too.  "I don't feel so good / I don't want to go" was just a killer scene.   And while we all figured there was going to be some sort of reversal, Endgame really paid it off in a huge, huge way.   The reunion scenes were so well done, and even the retribution scene with SW ("you took EVERYTHING from me" scene was awesome) - the payoff for 22 movies was awesome, but even the IW-to-Endgame payoff was massive.  I

It's no surprise that Endgame's endured with staying power the entire summer, but it's also now setting records on video release - highest-ever sales for prerelease digital sales.   That's a testament to how well they completed the 22-movie arc.   In this day & age, you don't spend $ on a digital / blu-ray release unless it's pretty damn special.   To get the #1 box office and still be this strong headed into home video release to be record-breaking there too, is massively impressive.

Yeah I can truly say in all marvel/DC films I have seen, I've never hated a villian until Thanos but that's a good thing because in the end that's how Marvel wanted us to feel.

Its funny because going into IW, I thought that if anyone dies, it would be a couple of the OGS but when everyone else started to dust, I was like dang you russos..but it was the right thing to do, to have the OGs be the one to bring everyone back.

Honestly, the first time I watched endgame, I felt all the time travel stuff was too much. Too much going on but watching it the second time without all the nerves and emotions, it was perfect.

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yeah I can truly say in all marvel/DC films I have seen, I've never hated a villian until Thanos but that's a good thing because in the end that's how Marvel wanted us to feel.

Thanos is the only one I liked.  He was the only one who made any sense.  Tell me you've never wanted a zombie apocalypse to indiscriminately get rid of half the world's population. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Thanos is the only one I liked.  He was the only one who made any sense.  Tell me you've never wanted a zombie apocalypse to indiscriminately get rid of half the world's population. 

Thanos has a point especially when the lines at walmart and movie theaters are long...

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Yep. My theater was in absolute shock. One of the greatest endings of all time.

6 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I remember watching IF and thinking ok maybe no one dies(at that point the russos had said that movie had a definite ending). Even at the end when Thanos got all the stones, I still was in disbelief. Thor shows up and I'm thinking here we go! redemption! and SNAP. My jaw dropped....

I wish I could experience IW and EG for the first time again

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I wish I could experience IW and EG for the first time again

Have kids.   Show it to them when they're old enough.    Not quite the same, but it's a great shared experience that's pretty damn close (that's the good side of living through your kids, as opposed to the organized sports ugly-side).  My kids are now 13 & 17, so it was awesome to do LOTR and SW again through their eyes.    And they were away at camp for Far From Home, so watching their reaction to the post-credits scenes was a lot of fun.   Keeps you young at heart lol.

2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

I did kinda agree with him. His home planet was a perfect example, and so was gamoras. But I understand the whole killing people issue.

Yea but the debate was, was it necessary. Cap goes on to cited an example with whale populations growing again and it could have been a direct link to lack of whale hunting. 

There were positive effects to Thanos's decision and it's hard to say whether he was right or wrong to do it. When you make a decision that effects so much it's impossible to tell the effects of everything that transpires afterwards. 

Morally it was wrong, but many decisions in our history that had positive outcomes or done for the right reasons could have been initiated by an act of "necessary evil" or a "hard decision". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea but the debate was, was it necessary. Cap goes on to cited an example with whale populations growing again and it could have been a direct link to lack of whale hunting. 

There were positive effects to Thanos's decision and it's hard to say whether he was right or wrong to do it. When you make a decision that effects so much it's impossible to tell the effects of everything that transpires afterwards. 

Morally it was wrong, but many decisions in our history that had positive outcomes or done for the right reasons could have been initiated by an act of "necessary evil" or a "hard decision". 

I feel like cutting the population of any endangered population in half would all but drive them into extinction, but that wasn't a point I was going to nitpick at the time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Even if you assume that you killed an ancillary 10% of the population due to various societal accidents (your surgeon vanishes mid surgery, your airplane pilot vanishes midflight, etc.), 40% of 7 billion people is 2.8 billion people. There were 2.8 billion people on the planet in 1960. Even looking at diminishing population growth rates in developed countries, it would still only take 70 years to get the population right back to where it was. 70 years is a blink of an eye in the scope of the universe. Hell, the entirety of human existence is a blink of an eye.