> 2023 NFL Draft Prospects Thread <

Kiltman

43 minutes ago, Danger said:

This goes against my conventional wisdom. But I'd rather not take a RT in this draft yet, I'd rather get someone who can contribute right away. I think Lane still has 2 more years, and he'll play at a high level. Unless Lane makes his intentions known to be playing his final year next year for certain.

I get the Lane sentiment. I hope he’s around 2 more years but Lane has issues. Not real sure if I can trust him. I mean, BPA isn’t a bad strategy but you have to think about what we need. The team is pretty complete. Only thing on offense we might need is RG and RB. Neither of those should be 1st round picks. Maybe our late one. And even then I’m not trying to pay a G or RB 1st round money. Defensively, DE, DT, LB, CB2 and S is all a relative need. DL and CB are 1st round worthy. Especially if we are picking at 10. So I’d hope it would play out nicely for us. Ringo or Porter would be fine. We’d miss out on the Top 2 Edge. There’s not a DT in that range unless you like Bresee and LB and S are 2-3 round issues. I’m hoping Howie sells the pick if it gets into that 11-14 range but that’s just me. 

44 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

If some team offers Isaac a nice deal to be their RG, we could def go RG in the 1st. Have a feeling BPA around our own 1st round pick will be OG/S/CB.

Maybe our late 1st but even then I’m not excited about a 1st for a G. 

6 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Oh I do know that DT will be a big need but also CB and like mentioned above we will probably need  RG as well.

I’d hope Howie signs Hargrave and we draft a DT. Milton has been good in spots, he could be ready for an expanded role. And you can even offer low ball deals to get a vet or two back. Cox and Suh can still be effective in limited roles. CB is a big need if JB walks which everyone is ready for. I can easily see a CB for that Saints pick. I don’t want a G in the first, I don’t think that’s good value. Can I get a G that can kick out to RT in a couple years? Then I’m in. 

14 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Maybe our late 1st but even then I’m not excited about a 1st for a G. 

If RG is BPA at pick 28 or whatever, sign me up. I'll take a stud RG over a solid, but not top 15 pick worthy DE, DT, S, CB. It all just depends how the board falls and who is available. I can get excited for a guard who will open up a pancake factory, even if it's not as sexy as a DE or slot WR. Just draft somebody who is going to start and be good at it. Or trade the pick for an already good player.

Edited by Jeezla

29 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

If RG is BPA at pick 28 or whatever, sign me up. I'll take a stud RG over a solid, but not top 15 pick worthy DE, DT, S, CB. It all just depends how the board falls and who is available. I can get excited for a guard who will open up a pancake factory, even if it's not as sexy as a DE or slot WR. Just draft somebody who is going to start and be good at it. Or trade the pick for an already good player.

I get it. I just don’t like the 1st round money and extra year option going to a G. I think round 2-3 is where you find value at G. Not saying you can’t get a stud at G in the first. Usually those guys are clear studs and perform that way. Just don’t think we’re at a spot where we would need it over other positions. But yea, how the board falls will dictate that obviously. 

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

I get it. I just don’t like the 1st round money and extra year option going to a G. I think round 2-3 is where you find value at G. Not saying you can’t get a stud at G in the first. Usually those guys are clear studs and perform that way. Just don’t think we’re at a spot where we would need it over other positions. But yea, how the board falls will dictate that obviously. 

To plays devils advocate I think Guard has the highest success rate of all first round picks. So why not get a 5th year on a potentially good player?

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

To plays devils advocate I think Guard has the highest success rate of all first round picks. So why not get a 5th year on a potentially good player?

Just think it’s a luxury in the 1st. Much like a RB. If my choice is spend a 1st on a G or just sign Isaac back up, I’m just signing Isaac back. I can get a starter at G later in the draft if I had to. I can’t say the same at CB, DE, DT. In other words, it’s not a premium position which I would spend my 1st rounders on. Mostly anyway. Everything has exceptions though. 

I don't think I'm taking a guard in the 1st. If you can get me a tackle who I can kick inside to RG for a season or two until Lane retires then I'm cool with it, but other than that I'm gonna have to pass.

I don't even think its some really good guard class like who is being talked about at guard in the 1st round right now? I guess O'Cyrus Torrence, but he's not kicking out to tackle. I think he's a strict guard. Him and Landon would be absolute bullies, but both are huge and I'd like one of them to have better foot quickness. Then the other possibilty I guess is Skoronski who could possibly fit that mold of a guy you start at guard and then still have the possibility of playing them at tackle if Lane goes down for an extended period (we know he's injury prone) or if he retires after the 2024 season like he told Kempski he wanted to.

19 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I don't think I'm taking a guard in the 1st.

If a OG shows potential of becoming the next Zach Martin or Quenton Nelson. You draft them and never look back for a decade, period.

Don't let the idiocy of the Danny Watkins debacle deter you. 🥃

Edited by Nabbs4u

22 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Any receiver worth taking at the 10ish area? We would be undefeated if Quez Watkins was better.

I do think it could be a surprise pick with the latter 1st or 2nd.

Could also see them take a TE round 2. Just any minor improvements to the depth so if a starter goes down we can be fine.