2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

I absolutely 100% agree with Sean Payton. As much as people want to act like this is some sort of stacked QB class just because there is a bunch of big names doesn't make it true. Every single one of these guys has numerous big flaws in their game they need to work through. Even my favorite of the group, Baker Mayfield, I would say has a high chance of being out of the league in 4 years than being a franchise QB. I think it is true with everyone of the big 5 QBs though. 

I'm not suggesting passing on a QB because you have to take the risk especially as bad as we have been at finding QBs. When in position you take one.

Not a single of these QBs would crack my Top 10 of the last 20 years. Baker and Sam just barely would crack in at 9th and 10th of the last 10 years. They are hardly invincible prospects. I know if I were the Bills I wouldn't be selling the farm to move up and I believe the Jets went overboard as well.

11 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Not a single of these QBs would crack my Top 10 of the last 20 years. Baker and Sam just barely would crack in at 9th and 10th of the last 10 years. They are hardly invincible prospects. I know if I were the Bills I wouldn't be selling the farm to move up and I believe the Jets went overboard as well.

We'll see about that. Although if Rosen stays healthy, I don't see any way he's not a perennial pro bowler, better than 95% of the QB's currently in the NFL. 

Darnold could flourish into one of those guys as well. He's only been a signal caller for like three years of his life. As the youngest QB in this class, his potential seems almost entirely untapped, AND he has the natural intangibles - which so many lack - at an elite level.

I think Mayfield is more hit or miss because we don't know exactly how much of his success is a credit to the offensive scheme he played in. We know he has the IQ, leadership, vision, arm strength, mobility, etc. But can he fit balls into those tight windows when it matters? There's very little film to prove that he can.

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

ALOT OF WIDE OPEN WIDE RECEVIERS 

and I like Mayfield I'm not taking that risk too many questions 

Mayfield had the highest cmpl% on tight window throws of the 1st round QBs. Just because he usually found the open guy doesn't mean he can't pull it off when they're covered.

All the research the last few years is showing that the most important thing for a QB to do to maximize his team's chances of winning is to just hit the normal throws, keep the offence on schedule, and not screw up miserably. Of the QBs in this draft, Mayfield and Rosen are the ones I am most confident of turning into that "keep the chains moving" type of QB. Like, guys like Brees and Brady, they make special throws sometimes (as do Mayfield/Rosen) but the thing that separates them from the competition is the almost unnerving % of the time that they hit the stuff that they're supposed to hit.

#MayfieldNoMatterWhat

5 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Mayfield had the highest cmpl% on tight window throws of the 1st round QBs. Just because he usually found the open guy doesn't mean he can't pull it off when they're covered.

Where can I, a freaky-non-genius-guy, find such stats? I don't deny his accuracy, but I didn't see a lot of tight window throws when I watched him.

1 hour ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Where can I, a freaky-non-genius-guy, find such stats? I don't deny his accuracy, but I didn't see a lot of tight window throws when I watched him.

It was accuracy % not cmpl%, my bad. And like you said, it doesn't speak to the # of tight window throws, just how well he did on the ones he made.Image result for tight window throws mayfield

PFF confirms your note about the raw # of tight windows, they said "While Mayfield had the lowest percentage of tight-window throws in the class last season, he was by far the most accurate in those situations, coming in 9.0 percent better than the No. 2 quarterback, UCLA’s Josh Rosen. Mayfield has the zip to fire the ball in between zones and he has the accuracy to “throw receivers open” away from the leverage of defenders. "

I'm just gonna turn this into a Mayfield love-fest here. Anybody mind? No? Okay, great.

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/teams-ncaa/division-ia-fbs/big-12/oklahoma-sooners/2018/01/15/baker-mayfield-two-torque-touch/

This is one of the things I love about Mayfield that I think separates him (on the field) from the other QBs right now (it's something they could definitely learn, and Rosen might already be close, but aren't at Mayfield's level yet.) Mayfield is able to make any throw because he can throw the ball accurately from all sorts of different platforms and with different angles. In the article, it does a great job comparing how he vastly varies his "fastball" and his "touch pass". On the fastball, he utilizes torque as well as anybody else in the class to maximize the oomph he can put on the ball. If you watch his highlight, on the deep passes and the really fast ones, slow the tape down and look at his upper body. He puts subtle rotation into the throwing motion that gives him extra zip despite not having a cannon. It's a savvy move that helps him be better than you would think he could be with his frame. But then, on the touch pass, he intentionally gives the ball much more angle and a slower arc to get it over a trailing defender on a corner route to the far side of the field. Where an Allen style rope would be tipped or picked, Mayfield drops it in. It doesn't look like a hard throw because he makes it look easy, but it was darn impressive.

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

^^^^

ALOT OF WIDE OPEN WIDE RECEVIERS 

and I like Mayfield I'm not taking that risk too many questions 

Since when was it a negative to throw to the open guy vice forcing it into a tight window? Seems the exact opposite of what you would want.

7 minutes ago, pscottdai said:

Since when was it a negative to throw to the open guy vice forcing it into a tight window? Seems the exact opposite of what you would want.

Its to the point that the OU offense was easy to run so people are thinking Mayfields numbers are inflated due to the system.

Mayfield still has to make the reads though which is credit to him. I love the fact that he is probably the best QB in this draft at throwing with anticipation and throwing WRs open who apparently was extremely good with Xs and Os during meetings. I like that...alot. 

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love Mayfield. He is my second choice behind Darnold. I don't think anything before the draft will change that feeling. Even if Mayfield edges Darnold in every statistical category, I still have this belief that, with Darnold being three years younger and having only played QB after switching from LB in high school, there's still miles more of untapped potential for Sam compared to Baker. I can't shake that belief that while Darnold is more raw, he ultimately has more potential for supreme success in this league.

50 minutes ago, pscottdai said:

more so saying OU manufactured openings in that offense as well as playing against big 12 teams every week it inflates his stats 

I dont think he made more pro throws in the last two years than Darnold did 

Would Josh Rosen be the number one overall if not for the durability/concussions/perceived character problems?

He has some limitations on the field but his style of play is extremely well-suited to the league and strictly from an X and O's viewpoint, pretty bust-proof. It's just the fear that he could get wrecked on any given play and decide to call it a day to save his brain.

I would probably still choose Sam Darnold, just because I love him as a prospect between his anticipation, accuracy, creativity, athleticism, leadership and clutch factor. But I think Rosen from a 'floor' perspective, if you removed the durability and character stuff, is the surest thing to be at least good.

It's crazy to me that it seems he is going to fall and be stolen by a team further down the draft. Maybe even the Patriots. And the rich would get richer. 

Archived