2022 OTA's / Minicamp / Training Camp / PreSeason / Super Bowl

Leader

11 hours ago, Striker said:

Where does Saturday football rank?

Can only watch if there is an interesting game. Way too many weeks where the ranked teams are beating up on nobodies and it's tough to watch. 

Plus, I get SEC and Notre Dame overload disorder. Full disclosure, I'm a Notre Dame fan, but also realistic. They get over ranked every year. 

On 9/3/2022 at 12:13 PM, cannondale said:

As with Walker, sooner or later the plays will come

Appreciate the post on this, I just do not have time these days to go through the games for each player, so it's great to have cut-ups of a guy's snaps in one easy place.  I'll watch the whole thing when I have more time, but I will say personally I think the very first play is a great example of why "just watch the film" can be a difficult ask in general.  He's not wrong about the play, I do think Wyatt is held here, but IMO this is also a great example of the little things that you need to excel in the pro game.  Clearing hands in the run game is a full on skill in its own right, and one that takes time for even very talented DL to learn.  Pro OL hold constantly, in little ways, on every down.  Yeah, it might have gotten called here, but it often won't, and depending on the refs to bail you out every time the OL grabs jersey isn't a tenable solution. 

Wyatt puts his head down at the snap, so he has no chance of keeping the guard from getting a firm grip on both sleeves.  He gets into his man's body, but he's won that battle at the cost of losing the war.  The guard basically just levers him up as they jockey for position moving laterally, and while Wyatt is able to brute strength his body into his gap he's not actually in position to make a play.  The guard has Wyatt's entire upper body locked up between his arms, and they're not extended so he can use leverage to keep Wyatt close.  Holding isn't getting called if you can't create enough space to make it clear it's holding; that's actually the entire thesis statement of Bahk's pass blocking philosophy.  The guard lets go because the back is already by them and into his gap, not because Wyatt gets free. 

Wyatt can't let his man get a grip on him that easily in the NFL.  He's such an explosive athlete that often he can just violence his way through blocks and attempted holds, but that's not possible in the pro game.  This isn't just a him problem to be clear; getting caught up on sticky hands is the most common stumbling block for young DL IMO.  If you watch a guy like Kenny, you'll notice OL seem to slide off him like he's covered in astroglide as he penetrates the line.  That's what a combination of good hands, good feet, and playing with great leverage and timing does.  It's impossible to get a hold of him because he's already got a hold of you and also he's two gaps away.  Wyatt will keep learning how this works, and he does flash the ability to beat his man's hands to the spot, but these kind of small, kinda invisible skills are as essential to NFL success as freakish athleticism.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Of course you were quicker to the joke than I was.

I was going to go with...

Oops. Look like a line from your erotic novel/autobiography accidentally made its way into your post.

Yes, I "accidentally" allowed my Kenny Clark slash fic to penetrate the moist, glistening wetness of my film study.

Austin Powers Movie GIF

Truly, mea, uh, mea... vul-, culpa!  Mea culpa, obviously, was what I was going to say.

I may need to take about 10% off my KC intake.